Gasser HotRod Forums banner

You gotta love summer!

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  406Rich 
#1 ·
On the way to church this morning we saw about 8 to 10 Mazda RX-7s going for a drive in the country. About a half a mile later we saw 4 or 5 Shelby Cobras heading east towards Battle Ground. Then we got on the freeway heading south and 10-15 Corvettes are heading north. We also saw various early iron (30's street rods) driving around.

This is the last weekend before school starts out here. It's also been in the upper 80's and lower 90's, finally. Maybe people are getting their driving in while they can.

Anyway, it's good eye-candy for a car guy and his family. :D

To quote Dennis Gage... 'Happy Motoring' to all my friends here.

Mike

#2 ·
I moved out here to Phoenix thinking, wow, the land of rust free shi---um stuff, hot rods and muscle cars. How disappointing. Unless there's some kind of big event going on you don't see a darn thing. Man I'm bummed. Mark L

#7 ·
During the cruising season (May to the end of Sept) there is a cruise night going on practically everyday of the week..... with special "shows & events" every week.

Overall though the "street scene" is nothing like it was back in the 60's through the mid-'70's. Back them there were no such things as organized cruise nights and very few outdoor car shows. Cruising back then meant just driving around from one hot spot to another(hamburger places like Eat 'n Park, shopping center parking lots, etc). Drag races could happen spontaneously at any stop light.".....it would take a full tank of gas just to drive the circuit....it was really something"

It was amazing how the car/hot rod scene changed once the government pretty much forced car manufacturers to stop making muscle cars. Even many of the popular (well attended) local drag strips started closing all over the U.S.

About the only thing happening on a regular basis was "street rod shows" which at the time "limited" participated to old "vintage tin". NO muscle cars or anything newer than late '40's. The Street rod club were (and still many are) a very elite group.

A few times each Summer there would be a car show or two that allowed any kind of car to enter as long as it was NOT a newer model. The cut-off for these shows would be 1972 or older. So at least you could take a Camaro or a '55 Chevy to the show.

Unlike today when "anything goes".... with the BIG cult following" of "NEW Generation" muscle cars, custom trucks & Japanese tuners cruise nights & shows no longer look like they used to. So much so that at certain shows & cruises it's more about the newer cars/trucks than true hot rods & muscle cars. Even so, it's so much better than when there was practically no cruises & shows as we know them today.

A couple of Summers ago I spent a couple of weeks in L.A. visiting my step son. It was like a dream come true to see all the infamous hot rod places (Moon Eyes - SoCal Speed Shop, etc)

Were able to go to the legendary LA Roadster Show. It was unreal!!!! The night before we went to the show SoCal Speed Shop had their "Open House Bash" which was like another world compared to the Pittsburgh cruises & shows. Got a chance to see many of the "early" SoCal hot rods & the more recent ones built bu Jimmy Shine & Pete Chapouris. They are great guys that would spend as long as you wanted to talking "hot rods".

For us..... Southern California is still and always will be the "hot rod capital" of the world...... compared to other places it is in a world ALL its own!!!!!

#3 ·
There was a billet=proof car show about an hour north today... that may be why some came out. OK, probably not the RX's or the Vettes, or the Cobras either. You'd think that Phoenix would be hopping. I've been in Yuma and seen hundreds of cars at the ballpark, but I think that was Feb. or March.

I still think that we have more cool cars per-capita than anywhere. They seem to come out of the woodwork all the time.

Besides, your Chief is close to hitting the streets, maybe that will start a new wave... kinda like when you go to a restaurant and it's empty, but by the time you are ready to leave it has filled up. Or not. :/

Mike

#5 ·
Hi.. I lived down there for a few years.. took a couple cars to the Mesa K-mart in east Mesa,, off power and southern.. and to the Scottsdale pavilions. But youre right about the normal cruise stuff.. its too dang hot.. lol.. Mesa has a neat cruise.. but you would have to find out from the locals at the Kmart on saturday evening.. I dont remember when it is anymore.. We live up north now.. Idaho washington area.. actually on the border.. lol

#6 ·
Raining cats and dogs! Tried to take my OT Camaro for a drive this morning, and it started raining, so I had to head for the garage! Guess it's time to put the storage insurance on both cruisers, and start tearing the 327 apart for upgrades.
Man I sure hate winters! Just too long until the next nice cruise day!

#9 ·
Our Wed morning breakfast guys had 41 cars for the cruise this week. It started out a liitle cloudy and in the 60's but turned sunny then typical on Minn weather "just wait a minute and it will change" a front came thru and parts of the area had light hail and wind storms. We got pretty wet again but continued with the trip. About 100 miles. We do it again Sat morning.

I no longer go to static shows except for vetran events and events for shut in's and assisted care. I just don't enjoy standing around and keeping fingers off my car. There are a large number of guys who feel the same. Back to the 50's is about the only show I go to and it is turning into a nightmare as there are so many people banging around. I usually make a lap about every 2 hours so I can be more or less moving for an additional hour.

I've only gone about 6k miles this year due to work schedules.

#10 ·
Same "OLD" stuff

.....I no longer go to static shows....
I KNOW what you mean..... the weekly cruises do tend to be "less & less" enjoyable especially as the cruising season goes on. Same people, same cars, hogging up parking spaces for their "can't get there on time friends" driving cars that should not even be there.

Fortunately for us, we have a GREAT bunch of hot rod buddies who like to spend time with each other away from the garage. In fact, going to shows & cruises gives us a chance to "sit down" and relax for a change. A comfy seat, some amber refreshment and rock & roll oldies turns a boring run of the mill cruise/show into a relaxing, enjoyable time with our friends. Then once and awhile a "new" guy in town shows up with a "fresh-build" which just adds to the pleasure.

Hasn't even snowed yet & I miss those days already!!!!:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.