Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 72 Dart Swinger with the leaning tower of power in the junkyard today while getting parts for my wife's jeep. Now I've been blinded by shiny vehicles before, but while I was crawling all over the car, two other guys came over and were saying what I was thinking. What's a car this nice doing in a junkyard? There is some minor rust in a few spots, but the floor pans and frame rails are solid. The quarters were butchered by a hack, but that is actually easy to fix. The interior is in really good shape except for the carpet.

Because I find some junk car I want to buy about once a month I actually made an offer on the car. I won't know until tomorrow because the boss was not there. If the guy accepts then I will have three factory green cars. (Mach 1 was originally green) The only thing I would do is the basics and then drive it. Its a car that you could get running and drive all over the place. If it runs well enough I would drive it to work when the weather isn't crappy.

It won't distract me too much from the Falcon. The Falcon only needs a few more parts to get rolling!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Isaac, if you can pick that up for a decent price so you can fix it up for cheap you will be miles ahead. I've had a soft spot for those since I worked in a Chrysler dealership as a kid. Here a car like that would be about $1500-ish as is and pushing $3k running. It's insane that even the '74s can bring that much. Good catch! If you need anything for the slanter let me know. My buddy has several lying around.

Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'd use it as a driver..... paint it flat black some moon disc hubcaps, split the 6's exhaust in duals with shorty mufflers.... with the 6 it should have decent gas mileage. Hard to make any money fixing up cars of any kind for profit today.... possibly forever..... the good old days are gone :(

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
I'd use it as a driver..... paint it flat black some moon disc hubcaps, split the 6's exhaust in duals with shorty mufflers.... with the 6 it should have decent gas mileage. Hard to make any money fixing up cars of any kind for profit today.... possibly forever..... the good old days are gone :(
Slant 6 Mopars are not known for good gas mileage. They are stout and powerful, but most wouldn't break 20mpg, even on the highway, and with grandpa behind the wheel! My dad owned a similar Dart, and it was pretty consistently in the 16-17mpg range, no matter what I tried to do to help it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only offered 500. Not sure I would go much higher. I wasn't able to talk to them today and the yard closes early on Saturdays.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
For $500 ???? IF it runs...... after all it's in the junkyard for a reason(s). Just make sure before you take it home.

I have a '97 Chrysler that is my "beater" - "Winter ride" - "Daily driver" or whatever you'd like to call it. I'm the second owner.... just turned over 90k. I have had it for 3 years and have only put in a new battery & coil pacs. Interior is in good shape (non-smoking car) A/C still works etc.... still would rather have something cooler that I could play with a little and be good on gas .... an older S10, Tracker or small car would be good.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even if the motor and trans are bad, people nearly give away running slant sixes and transmissions. I will have to talk to the owner of the yard on Monday to get details. I wasn't able to call today to see if the guy is wanting too much for the car or not.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Even if the motor and trans are bad, people nearly give away running slant sixes and transmissions......
Not much more work to put in a small V8 (273-318 or)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts