Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a hood for my henry j doesn't need to be perfect because i'll be cutting it up for the tunnel ram & carbs to poke through, thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also would like to find a old parachute pack just the pack for looks only for my street gasser thanks.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I'll look around next month at the NWDRA swap meet. It's mostly old race junk, and I see outdated harnesses, and old chutes almost every year. Empty chute packs usually go around $25, and complete chutes and packs around $60. There's a local Henry J collector near the shop that painted my Austin. Next time I'm out that way I'll stop and see if he might have a spare junky hood cheap. He's got 6 totally stock Henry J's!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vall, thanks for the quick response, you serious about the complete chutes & packs for around $60 that sounds great and would be cool on my henry j shoot me a line on either the chutes or the hood, Andy. or contact me @ 336-306-9528 thanks again.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts

My Henry came with 2 hoods when I got it, this one and a uncut one. If you can't find a deal closer to home, I'd probably sell this one. Shipping would probably cost more than the hood is worth though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have looked high and low and cant find one anywhere near me here in NC, I have been to the Charlotte autofair at the Charlotte motor speedway spring and fall meets for 3 years but no luck. I know shipping would be expensive but it might be worth it, It really depends on what your asking price is, and if you would be willing to ship it and of course the cost of freight. let me know how much you are asking. thanks, Andy

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, Vall I'm not in any hurry if you could find a complete chute and pack that would be amazing. still gathering parts and pieces this site is unreal I have found out more in the way of parts in few days ,than I have searching e bay or craigslist or the swaps thanks so much! Andy

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I'm guessing shipping will probably run $20-$25 from coast to coast. So if you have a limit or total you want to pay let me know, so I don't buy one and end up having to keep it. I wouldn't mark it up, just want to get whatever I pay back.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Vall were talkin around 90 to 100 chute,pack and shipping sounds good I will look forward to hearing from you and I can quit looking around on ebay those people have lost their minds. thanks so much, Andy

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
also would like to find a old parachute pack just the pack for looks only for my street gasser thanks.
...... Empty chute packs usually go around $25, and complete chutes and packs around $60.....
...... there's a guy on ebay that goes by Willysbuilder who sells empty packs for around $55-$60.....
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/eBay-Motors-/6000/i.html?_nkw=parachute&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_rdc=1
Used parachutes or empty bags go for a little more around here. I was happy to find "exactly" what I was looking for last Spring at a local swap meet.

I paid $75 ..... it is "complete" ..... also came with a mount.... which I am not sure if I will use it or not.

It's the brand I wanted (Simpson) and has just the right amount of "patina"..... no holes or rips anywhere.

Thinking of mounting it in a recessed area in the rear hatch..... still in the planning (gotta think about it) stages with it and so many other things that will need to be done as time goes on.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Yes! Patiina on a chute pack is a plus to me! I'm sure I could drag it around the backyard, and hot it with a wire wheel to age it, but still better to get the natural dirt and sun bleached look!

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Used parachutes or empty bags go for a little more around here. I was happy to find "exactly" what I was looking for last Spring at a local swap meet.

I paid $75 ..... it is "complete" ..... also came with a mount.... which I am not sure if I will use it or not.

It's the brand I wanted (Simpson) and has just the right amount of "patina"..... no holes or rips anywhere.

Thinking of mounting it in a recessed area in the rear hatch..... still in the planning (gotta think about it) stages with it and so many other things that will need to be done as time goes on.

Have you ever opened it yet John? You're in for a big surprise if you haven't! I had mine open twice to mount it, and I swear it's like trying to put 10 lbs. of squirming puppies in a 5 lb. bag! That big spring for the pilot chute is a real pain to get compressed and then get the flaps closed!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
NO Vall..... I have never opened it..... figure it is better to leave well enough alone!!!! If I ever have the NEED for a chute I would get a new one. The patina is perfect but at 150 mph " patina doesn't help you STOP!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
As thick as that pack is I'm guessing it's not a small 8'-10' chute. Probably at least a 12' chute. At some point when you mount it you'll have to not only open it, but unpack it. I had to carefully lower the chute out to keep mine foldeed, then mount it to the plate on the car. After several tries to get the chute and spring in, I finally tied the spring in a compressed position with big wire ties. After getting it all packed I worked the cutters in through the corner of the flap and cut the two ties.
I'm sure they must have something made to compress the spring and hold it while packing a chute at the track, or they must use 2-3 guys to do it quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts