Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 982 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found documentation in trunk of car for work performed by Butche's Rod shop over 20 years ago. Slowly making progress on the car. Found pictures of floor boards on the internet and built bolt in floors. Moved master cylinder to firewall. Installed vega steering box with bump steer straight axle front end. Disc brakes up front and drums in the rear. Will post pics as progress is being made. Here is a pic of the floor boards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm glad to see you have floors in there. I had to fab all of mine, there wasnt enough there to work with. Looking good.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made the floors. Car had no floors it it when I obtained the car. Looked at pics from on line. Obtained sheet metal. Made cardbard templates of the floor. Obtained bead roller and sheet metal bender from Harbor Freight. Really like how they designed the bolt in floors from the factory. Gives me a lot to work with. Using Stainless bolts and washers. This weekend I will wrap up the floors. Really like how they are all removeable.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Great job. I used the factory bolt up too on my 35. Mine originally had wood so I copied the pattern and made floor pans instead. Your 38 is coming out great so far. I love the body lines on that car.
Mario

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looking very cool. What engine you going to run?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has a small block chevy, 350 Turbo trans and 10 bolt rear with original frame, Just boxed the front rails. Will be taking the car on several cross country trips to shake it down. Will eventualy replace the drive train with Mopar engine & trans, but that will have to wait. Working on two projects right now and need to make progress on both. LoL.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Right now I am fitting everything up, making sure they work, as envisioned and then updating, as required. Taking a little longer than planned, but it gives me an excuse to spend time in the garage. I had the radiator in an out of the car at least 20 times to build the electric fan mount utilizing existing holes in the front cowl. Same with mounting the radiator in the car. It was easy to do, after I removed the water pump. Not a problem, because I am installing different pulleys and was already planning to replace the water pump. Will update the site as I can. Next step: Installing Trans cooler lines and mounting brackets for the fuel and brake lines. Found some nice stainless steel brackets from Speedway (Garage Sale items).

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I did that on my 35 Chevy. I used 3/16 rod and I "L" shaped it on both sides front and back. I made a loop on the bottom end which went over the stud with a washer and nut. It's not the cleanest way of doing it but I utilized the holes in the face of the firewall and the inside left and right of the radiator support for stainless carriage bolts with nuts. It held fine during the racing in all 4 corners. Then during the accident when I got hit from behind it ejected the hood about 20 ft. It didn't ruin it and probably save it from being dented up. The "L" Went up into the hinge area so you can make it as Long As you like being it's hidden. It isn't the best way but maybe you can spawn better ideas from the example. Hope it helps.
Mario

Ps now I remember I didn't bolt in the rear anchor bolts at the top and that's why it lifted off in the accident

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I didn't have a hood for mine, so not sure how it attaches to the side covers. But I would run a piece of metal from the forward screw hole on the fire wall to the attachment points on the cowl simliar to what Mario said. If you didn't want to save the sides, could you trim the top edge off and attach that for the hood to snug up against?

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Have you considered a simple spring loaded gate catch? I've seen several guys use them under the hoods with holes (or tabs with holes) at each end to let the gate catch pin fit into. Simple to attach, and easy to remove the hood if you want it off quickly. About $5 ea.
Here's a pic:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great suggestios. Thanks to all. Finished up the trans lines today and almost all of the brake lines. Good day. Will work on the hood this week.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Made mounts and installed all four shocks. On a gasser the front shocks are much longer than normal, but found all four shocks on clearance thanks to Speedway. Local hydraulic and bearing shop fabricated braided brake lines for front disc brakes and rear drum brakes. Ready to weld up tabs on frame for front brake lines. Next step: fabricate mounts for bench seat and wire the car. Getting close to fire it up. Really like this old iron.

1 - 20 of 982 Posts