Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyone that is a member to this site wishing they had a 55 chevy 2 door post project cheap to build a gasser or to make a 4 door into a two door with or just to have?... but just cant never find one....... think hard everyone this could be some lucky persons day,week,month,year.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I did the 4 to 2-door conversion on my '55 in '07. I was looking for a 2-door shell for a few years and couldn't find a candidate that was in my price range. 2-doors here are rediculous.

Since then I purchased another set of post quarters thinking that I would someday do another conversion. It wasn't that hard to do.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i have one im thinking of getting rid of its on a modern frame kinda rough the way it is but it has nice ass doors a quarters ,rockers and deck lid the roof has issues front fenders and hood are pitted tree limb dent rust holes were rear pillars meet roof i have paperwork for the car was a v8 auto bel- air no glass a person could spend sometime sanding and patching and have a decent gasser i was gonna and may still skim the whole body with mud block out sand and primer then make a mold put it away and the next time i wanted a 55 i wouldnt have to pay out the rear for one just use modern chassis but i was thinking of giving it a good home.not nessaserly for a bunch of money but to some one that wouldnt want it to make money but to build and love it. that way instead of spending money on another project ill go do some traveling in my 56 to these gasser gigs all over the country.

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
That's really great! I think that's the true hotrodder spirit to have it go to a good home, rather than make the big bucks on a sale! Nice!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep i was born this way first car at age 13 65 mustang fastback 9 inch on top of a box frame straight axle with flip front end but i always come across the best deals when im out of funds for some reason i could have a pocket full of money and never find anything must be the hot rodder thing

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im supprised no one has even asked what ill take for the thing. or pic or something, or sobin country song life story maybe id give it away to the right person ya never know. no notta damn reply

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'd love to look at it but to even ask for pics is a waste for me. You're just too far away for me. My first car was a '55 Chevy. Would love another but just not practical. Plus I'm scrounging to get enough to spend on my '63. Otherwise I'd be interested. MArk L

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats what i was thinkin myself about a kids first car all the ones i know around hear want to be black gangsters i need to bring it up to the shop and clean it up some then ill take some

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have to agree with Vall. If I lived closer my trailer would already be backing up your driveway. I get flashbacks with 55's. I was a lot boy at a Cadilac Dealer in the late 60's and the had a 55 Chev on the used car lot. We couldn't drive the cars unless they needed gas. So we would start the 55 every morning and let it run until we had to fight to see who got to take it to the gas station to get some fuel for it. That lasted about 3 weeks. But definetly pictures please.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think i maybe keepin it if my 56 wasnt so nice id cut it off at the middle of the roof and weld the back half of the 55 on there but its turning out to easy and cheap and nice

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
......i always come across the best deals when im out of funds for some reason i could have a pocket full of money and never find anything must be the hot rodder thing
That is how it has been for me also.

As I mentioned before.... a couple of years ago we ALMOST worked out a deal with another hot rodder for a '42 Willys sedan.... NOT the coupe I have always wanted but realistically it would have been a great compromise....

The best part of this "failed attempt" is the guy who was selling the car & I have become good friends.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
get that kid that goes to wytech to make yours into a coupe he made the whole car from small pieces sure he could redo the back half or do it your self isaw old videos from ford how they would up scale and down scale if you go buy a model car of the willys you want perf a 1/18 th scale start at the section to change yours cut it in to slices like you would a bell pepper and number them then take them to a sighn or advertising company and have them blow each slice up seperate then go buy plywood and start tracing and cut out when you get the model first trace it on its side long ways when you cut that out and section it together so you will have a wooden skelleton the set it up on a jig if you want and start strectchin sheet metal over wood skeleton and screw in like drywall .every eight inches or so they dont have to be big pieces and looks like the used about a 18 guage i saw this a long time ago that is one of the ways they got scaled up from the small models the built they would reverse the slices and make a template and go over the real scale like a template if you want it to be stronger you could screw in masonite from the bottom and the mix foam and fill and level off at the wood the screw the sheet metal together it fits better but dont screw into to hard so you have dents like drywall then you mig weld it together it does work ive have seen it done how do you think the make the fiberglass molds for these willys cars they do the same shit but used the foam instead of metal then they dilute bondo with laqure thinner and old spray gun and spray over the foam like paint when it sets the block it out its a lot cheaper than you think and its not that hard to do

1 - 17 of 17 Posts