Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in another thread on this forum that I think it would be a good idea for us to share what we plan to do over the Winter months with our cars whether they are on the road, a roller, just parts or just an idea in our mind's eye.

Vall made some comments also in another thread that I thought woulld be a good starting point for this new thread.

...... Love the idea of a winter list!

I've done that every winter regardless of what car I had, or if it was done or not. Since mine is getting so close to done my winter list will be lots of time on cleaning and maintenance in preparation for spring!

I also like your comments on staying with the projects Steve! It's so easy to wish it done, but never get going, and the more we stay away, the less likely we are to get going!

There's so much that can be done and not cost a dime, beyond our time!

I spent a couple weeks just gathering scrap steel from every place I could think of....

.... then a couple more weeks just practicing with my wire feed when I first bought it.

It was time well spent at no cost outlay.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lots of good advice Vall..... most of which I know needs to happen if I expect to make any progress this Winter.

When I started working at Enterprise almost 4 months ago I was doing pretty good with the "everyday" hectic pace. But lately all the extra hours and the advent of COLD Winter weather coupled with being on my feet ALL DAY working in a cold wet garage has recently been taking it toll on my arthritic body.

At first the full time+ hours were great.... the extra $$$ was good to have plus the extended "warm weather" allowed me to work with minimal discomfort.

When the weather changed agitating my chronic back/neck issues & rheumatoid arthritis increasing my joint pain really along with fighting a kidney infection I have been struggling lately.

With the place still short-handed and logging in 40+ hours/6 days a week since day one I am really looking forward to getting a part time work schedule I can physically handle.

I found out today another person will be starting soon. In fact with things being slow tomorrow I was given the day off.

Needless to say I will be spending some time in the workshop tomorrow..... Much MORE than 15 minutes....finally!!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good thread John.

Get new steering column and u joints in
check and repl steering components as needed
get block bored and ready for assembly
get engine assembled
get coilover shocks and all rear end components in and set up

·
Registered
395 Posts
I mentioned in another thread on this forum that I think it would be a good idea for us to share what we plan to do over the Winter months with our cars whether they are on the road, a roller, just parts or just an idea in our mind's eye.

Vall made some comments also in another thread that I thought woulld be a good starting point for this new thread.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lots of good advice Vall..... most of which I know needs to happen if I expect to make any progress this Winter.

When I started working at Enterprise almost 4 months ago I was doing pretty good with the "everyday" hectic pace. But lately all the extra hours and the advent of COLD Winter weather coupled with being on my feet ALL DAY working in a cold wet garage has recently been taking it toll on my arthritic body.

At first the full time+ hours were great.... the extra $$$ was good to have plus the extended "warm weather" allowed me to work with minimal discomfort.

When the weather changed agitating my chronic back/neck issues & rheumatoid arthritis increasing my joint pain really along with fighting a kidney infection I have been struggling lately.

With the place still short-handed and logging in 40+ hours/6 days a week since day one I am really looking forward to getting a part time work schedule I can physically handle.

I found out today another person will be starting soon. In fact with things being slow tomorrow I was given the day off.

Needless to say I will be spending some time in the workshop tomorrow..... Much MORE than 15 minutes....finally!!!!
I feel ya John. My wife and work 5 jobs all together and with all the kids activities i can hardly find the time for money to do anything. I also have back probs so i know how ya feel. If i get half of my to do list done i will be happy and it is hard to get motivated during the winter months.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,065 Posts
Wow the list ;) well I make lists all the time for the jobs we have in the shop. Mine is no different, however I sometimes blend my customers list with mine. Like when I place orders to ship at the same time or ordering steel I may double up so I know I have enough on hand. Or if a customer changes there mind on parts that may trickle down to my job. Jack and I have swapped parts between the Grumman, and the 55..... But back to the list, I will keep it short and cross out and change as I complete and add when I'm ready to move on.
This month, I plan on finishing body mounts..
Figure what steer column or fix the one hi have...
Start radiator mounts for new radiator.
Hang my water pump on my mock up block to check for clearance.
I guess I should remind myself there's only a few days to the end of the month. :eek:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel ya John. My wife and work 5 jobs all together and with all the kids activities i can hardly find the time for money to do anything. I also have back probs so i know how ya feel. If i get half of my to do list done i will be happy and it is hard to get motivated during the winter months.

Wow the list ;) well I make lists all the time for the jobs we have in the shop. Mine is no different, however I sometimes blend my customers list with mine. Like when I place orders to ship at the same time or ordering steel I may double up so I know I have enough on hand. Or if a customer changes there mind on parts that may trickle down to my job. Jack and I have swapped parts between the Grumman, and the 55..... But back to the list, I will keep it short and cross out and change as I complete and add when I'm ready to move on.
This month, I plan on finishing body mounts..
Figure what steer column or fix the one hi have...
Start radiator mounts for new radiator.
Hang my water pump on my mock up block to check for clearance.
As I have mentioned before the long range "list" is "mind boggling".....

So in MY situation I think it best to make just a realistic "can-do-list" of things to be done this Winter.

Even though the BIG chore on the long-term list will be the "body-off" and getting it on the tube chassis .... that will be quite awhile before that happens. Clearly NOT something that would even be considered to get done the "over the Winter".

Obviously, IF I was just doing a "quickie" clean-up & repainting of the tube chassis, etc it would only take MUCH LESS time to do. But with our decision to do an extensive clean-up of all the frame, roll cage. etc and painting I am being realistic that this is one of the many "chores" that will take MUCH LONGER than I expect it to take.

Also on the list is something VALL mentioned/suggested in another thread .... finding steel & sheet metal here there & everywhere instead of just going out & buying new stuff from a supplier.

Normally, I would just but anything and everything needed with no sense of "Do I NEED it RIGHT NOW". So this time around I am going to purchase parts & materials on a "I NEED IT NOW" basis.

So for now.... I actually do NOT need much to get started on refurbishing the tube chassis. Most needed will be finding the time & using it as much as I can. Having less hours at work will certainly help a LOT!!!!

In addition to gathering the steel & sheet metal I will need I am going to be looking for what I need to assemble the narrowed 9" Ford rear end housing that came with the tube chassis.

I already have some wheels & tires to use for mock-up so once I get a completely assembled rear end I'll have what I need to do get the tube chassis into a roller. That will to an exciting thing to have completed.

With the body still off I will be replacing all of the brake & gas lines and run all of the wires, etc. etc ......

As I write this ..... my head is already spinning with ALL that will NEED to come next.

There is a LOT more to add to the list..... but needless to say many of those things will not make it on to the "Winter-List".

Enough for now.... the workshop should be warmed up by now..... gonna get the "Doo-***/oldies" channel on the radio (an A.M. station) and get to work.

It's DEFINITELY NOT just going to be a "Vall's 15 minute days" :cool:

More about my Winter to Do-Wish List" later.

Everyone have a good day.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
I don't have much on my list, but I do have one item that's hopefully gonna get done if I can figure out a way to make it happen. In April at the swap meet I picked up one of those quick change style covers for my rearend on the Austin. Problem is as cool as it looks, my panhard bar wont clear it! In order to mount it I need to move the mounting points on my rear axle and the frame back several inches.
Moving the mounting points and welding is the easy part, but I just haven't figured out what I need to build to get the bracketry far enough back to clear, and not create so much leverage on the brackets that they'll need to be killer sized! I've also tossed around going in front of the axle with the panhard bar and keep it high enough to clear the pinion, but not so high as to hit the floor.
For now it's just holding up the cover, and holding a wooden dowell to simulate the panhard bar, and figuring what might make it work.

My other project is much easier! Lots of cleanup under the hood, and under the car, in preparation for the Roadster Show next March.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Winter projects seem to really pile up. But mine for this year is to sand all the rattle can primer off, prime it with Dp90, shoot the door frames/jambs, window frames and dash panel (with color) so I can mount the windows.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
No I have actually never been on their site. My work (sssh) computer won't let me access their site and I usually dont have time at home or forget. I will check it out tonight though, thanks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My to do list:

1. Finish the Wiring
2. Fuel lines
3. Clutch Cable and install pedals. Install shifter and hurst handle
4. Swap new tires onto wheels
5. Install hood hinges and hood, install hood latch
6. Install turn signals below headlights
7. Registration and insurance
8. Drive it around the neighborhood

Stage 2 if there is enough winter and money:
1. Rebuild solid axle
2. Finish the 460

·
Registered
907 Posts
My "plan to do" list (so far):

Mount a master cylinder and build a pedal assembly.
Extend a gauge panel out about 8" from my dash so I can reach the ignition key.
Prep, prime and paint the bottom side of my floor. (I think I've missed my weather window to do this one)
Try to find some deals on parts I will need.

It doesn't sound like much, but I'll be out every evening doing something or just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Great thread idea!

Have to get the Benz out of the shop this week. I took tomorrow off to get as much of the little stuff I can to get it running and to the alignment shop. Then cut and buff the clear, fix the top, clean it all up and drive it a bit to make sure everything is a go, then send it home to Sumner... Did you guys see how I fixed the clearance issue with the carb?

Then...

Do anything on the '55 I can. It's a model at this point. Needs everything touched. Going to do a thread on rebuilding the Muncie, that sounds like fun.

Then put the car together, tear it apart for paint & wiring, put it together, tear it apart because I forgot something/changed my mind, then put it back together.

Then drive it.

Sounds simple enough, right?!? :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sorry.........I get side-tracked easily!

Winter to do list.....

Fab and install rear track bar
Reconstruct rear cross-member and shock mounts
Mount fuel cell
Mount radiator and electric fan/fans
Mount steering box
Remove and rebuild front spring (to support the BBC)
Complete front suspension
Disassemble and complete welding on the chassis
Reassemble and prepare for body fit

Doesn't sound like much.....but I'll be excited to accomplish that much before Spring Turkey season! Cross-off the next month on the garage calendar. :) :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
OK, I'll show some updates in another thread on the 450SL.

Hard to see, but it has purple pearl that really pops in the sunlight. I also did some stripes up the middle like a '67 427 Vette. Look close and you can just make them out. Ghost stripes... :D

Going out in the shop to work on it now.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
OK, I'll show some updates in another thread on the 450SL.

Hard to see, but it has purple pearl that really pops in the sunlight. I also did some stripes up the middle like a '67 427 Vette. Look close and you can just make them out. Ghost stripes... :D

Going out in the shop to work on it now.

Mike
Really hard to see! In fact I can't see them?

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Another item on my winter to do list is interior door handles. I've got one door with original handles, and three with 3-4 various handles I've found and thought would work. So far none of them have worked well, and all are sloppy on the Austin's smaller square shaft.
I plan to build up some handles and cranks from scrap steel, but I need to find some box tubing with a very small inside measurement. Haven't measured mine yet, but the early Ford handles I've tried have too large a opening, and I'd guess mine are about 5/16" square. Hopefully someone makes box tubing that size and I wont have to buy a 20' length to get less than 6" I need for the project!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.