Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on this, need opinions from those that have had experience. I have a front axle for my 40 chev coupe out of a 38 coupe. It has parallel springs on it. I was wanting to go with a transverse spring and radius arm set up. A friend said "why not go with the springs on it?" so I've been thinking now. I don't want it real high in the front, just a nice rake to look good. I know that the transverse spring is for a 2500 lb and under car so if something happened and I went with a bbc down the road, I might end up with a ill handling car. Even with the sb, it'll push 28 to 2900 LB. Those that have drove both, is there any difference in handling? I'm getting ready to get back on this thing, going to price some 2x3 box tubing this week.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question...I have seen a few tri fives with transverse and big blocks....I know every thing I found said for 2500lb or less even with a heavy duty spring your still just riding on the one main first spring and its eye ends...I was considering it for my ranger at 2800lb but decide not to because of the limit...I could have made it 100% bolt on

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I've been thinking. I'll email Ron Pope and see what he's got in springs. Don't trust the ones on it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed Ron and he called me back a few minutes later, on a Sunday night at that! He has 26 and 31 in springs and everything else I'd need. $70 each on the 31's so thats not to bad.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Thats not to bad of a price if there top quality springs....the lengths seem to be the popular size for gasser apps.....did he give a spring rate and arch specs and number of leafs as well as stack height,....as soon as I get my brake crap figured out I will be able to figure witch springs to get...I will have to check his stuff out....I dont want cheap crap holding my truck up....let me know if you get some from him

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
29"-31" is about the best, and should work well under your '40 Coupe, even if you go BBC later. 2500 lb. springs will be way too stiff though, even with a BBC. That's a per spring rating, so I doubt you'd ever have 5,000 lbs. on the front. Better to go to around 1250 lb. springs, and might even take a couple leafs out with a SBC.
The $70 per spring is OK, but surely not a bargain. I paid less than that for a pair of springs for my Falcon.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Vall you been putting whiskey in your morning coffee....oh wait a minute thats me

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was wanting a transverse, but on all I found they talk about 2500 lb total vehicle wt. I want something that I don't have to change out later. Ron has real good quaulity stuff. He makes all his columns, brackets and a bunch of stuff. He'll make something to your specs if you want. Great guy to talk to, he goes by EZ T Bucket on ebay, but if you want something it's best to email or call him. He has a lot of stuff that's not on his website. We didn't go into detail on the springs, he'll make them up to whatever I want, also said if I had a close measurement on drag link and tie rod, he'd make them up, tap the left handed end and send to me a little long. That way I could cut them and tap the other end.He'll do anything to help you out.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are right. I just think it'd be safer. I still like the look of transverse, but if I go parallel and go BBC later, I can always add a leaf to each side. peace of mind when I drive these fine roads we got around here.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finished taking the old 38 front end apart. The stock front springs are in pretty good shape. Better than I thought they would be. The shackles on the one end still rotate nicely, the king pins are even tight. This thing has been greased like you wouldn't believe though, think that helped alot. Springs are 35 in eye to eye, and 1 3/4 wide. I may see if I can find some poly bushings to fit and try to use them. I/m going to see if I can locate some new leafs to freshen them up and new spring bolts. What do you think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts