Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through a newer (2010) NHRA rule book and trying to determine where yesterday's gasser would fit. Trying to find a class was difficult. Any ideas? Seems like the rules have at least one or more technical items that precludes gassers as we like them. Likely the IHRA rule book is the same.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Formosa dragstrip ( Bakersfield Calif) is a hotbed of Nastalgia racing, they have 4 BIG meets every year( plus weekly or monthly) races, I usually go down to the Calif Hot Rod reunion every year, or the cackle fest,,
I,m sure they have different rules than the old days, especally the safety side of it,, but what a blast to watch, Nastalgia drag racing has a BIG following,
http://www.famosoraceway.com/

and here is a live streaming of last years nationals

http://bangshift.com/live-broadcast-page.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mission Raceway, about 2.5hrs north of Seattle Wa.
is having a Staight Axle Gasser class at the Old Time Drags July 27-28 29, 2012

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
I would guess that gassers with the correct safety changes would fit into either "Super Gas" or "Super Street", dpending on the weight of the cars. Unfortunately there's nothing quite like the old Gas classes today, as both those classes run on the "index" based rules, rather than the old heads up racing of the Gas classes. Super Gas is 9.90, and Super Styreet is 10.90 index. Both are pretty open about body and engine mods, so would probably be as close as you could find.

·
Registered
699 Posts
It would be nice if more places brought out a gasser class. Heads up racing seems to be less and less common. That is why I like the F.A.S.T. racing.

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
Bracket racing is just not as interesting as anything heads up. Top fuel, funny cars, and pro stock bore me to death, even if they are heads up. It's just so technical these days, and less of a driver's game. I love Nostalgia racing, and the sportsman classes today.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I loved running at the old airport in El Paso called desert demons. They had a tree and times. All eaces were heads up and the racers called each other out. Good fun. I agree on the newer racing being too technical. Its taken the soul out it. Sort of like the boring cars in nascar. At least they are trying to make some changes now, but NASCAR is about as agile as the federal goverment in making changes.

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
I wish TV coverage would wise up and stop trying to force feed us top fuel, funny cars, and pro stock. I've gotten so tired of seeing the same coverage, with the same cars and drivers every weekend, that I've given up watching ESPN drag racing. If they'd just show some variety I'd record and watch every race!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I went to the Loafer's show at Mission for the first time last year. It was a great event. Plan on being there on Saturday the 28th. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I wish TV coverage would wise up and stop trying to force feed us top fuel, funny cars, and pro stock. I've gotten so tired of seeing the same coverage, with the same cars and drivers every weekend, that I've given up watching ESPN drag racing. If they'd just show some variety I'd record and watch every race!
I agree 100% !!!!! It's like watching the same thing every week. More exciting to watch "poker tournaments" .

·
Registered
699 Posts
My landlords boyfriend races a BBC powered dragster. He is one of the top racers in the region. His car runs in the 7's or 8's N/A. He is going to Chicago for the championship I think this month. They take the top 7 racers to this event. You never see anything like that on TV. It would be fun to watch some of the local guys go at it rather than the same boring stuff each time.

That reminds me, I need to get to the track to at least watch some racing this season.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
There's so much outstanding racing going on all over the country. If you want excitment they should go watch the pro mods and the radial tire guys. Especially the turbo guys as the cars are still identifiable and wicked as hell. Mark L

·
Registered
101 Posts
Speaking of the top fuel cars,,I heard that Don Schmocher (sic) racing is losing Fram oil as his sponster on Masseys car,# 1 points leader,, and possably the Army money for Tonys car,
gonna have to dip into some of those deep pockets of his,,

I love those Pro Mod cars,, lots of excitement even top alcahol is fun to watch, don't smell as good tho ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
If congress passes the bill it kills funding for pretty much all of the military sponsored racing.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hi Anglia,
Missed you on Saturday. The straight axle class was pretty mixed. Some cool looking gassers though. I will post some pictures this evening. I did see a dark green Anglia Saturday and talked to the owner, thinking it might be you. Poor guy probably thinks I was nuts :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts