Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get a 62 Falcon Wagon I need to hear from you guys who have built your frame and I need to know where to start? Like do you build a whole frame for it or what any info and pics would be great. Thanks in advance!!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I don't think you really need to build a whole frame to make it a gasser. Even with some high HP/torque, you can add to the existing unibody frame, and handle it fine. Take a look at my '63 Falcon build, and see what I did to put a .040" over 454 Chevy in my '63 Falcon. I basically added 1"x3" box tubing to the length of the front frame rails, and then tied subframe connectors to that, and back to the front spring perches. I added round tube bracing between the rockers, floor braces, and the new subframe connectors. A 6 point rollcage, and since I removed all the inner front fender panels and went tilt frontend, I put firewall braces from firewall to frame rails. Frame mods start about page 28 of my build thread.
http://www.gasserhotrods.com/forum/showthread.php?1072-63-Falcon-Futura-Gasser

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome build so far I'm really trying to get that wagon off my landlord I will probably be asking alot of questions if I can get it I REALLY want to build a gasser and I know it would be one of a few gassers here in Las Vegas that I know of. Keep up the great work can't wait to see the finished product!!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I stole the idea for the box tubing under the unibody frame from the "Strange Bird" Falcon gasser build. He did it this way, and is running a big Buick Nail head with a 6-71 Jimmy blower on it. So figured if it held his power, my BBC would be OK.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm asking because I got a chance to pick up a frame that I could possibly use the atleast the front sub and just asking what is the width of your framerails?

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
They are stock width. I left the existing Unibpdy rails, and simply chopped off the inner fenders. Then added the box tubing to the bottom of the stock rails for added strength.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes I know you used your stock frame rails but I was wanting to know the width of the stock frame rails the only measurements I can find only show track width

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
My subframe connectors were made for a '65 Mustang, so didn't fit the Falcon's front frame rails. That actually worked out well with the 1"x3" box tubing I used, as I extended it past the unibody frame so it sat inside the front of the subframe connectors. I added bracing to tie the floor braces to the subframe connectors, to the rockers. If you went through my thread, there are pictures there about post #644 that show the subframe connectors in place. They bolted to the front spring perch, just like they were made for my Falcon. But I didn't want them to just be bolted, so I put numerous tacks at the rear where I could reach to weld. Since the U channel in front sat lower than it would on a Mustang, it was perfect to cradle the box tubing in, and I simply welded then to that. The floor braces are also channel shaped on a Falcon, so I used some of my round tubing I bought for the project, and it fit perfectly between the floor braces and the subframe connectors. So after removing all the paint and gunk, I slid them between the braces and the subframe connectors, and welded them wherever they were in contact.
http://www.gasserhotrods.com/forum/showthread.php?1072-63-Falcon-Futura-Gasser/page65

1 - 12 of 12 Posts