Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if I didn't have enough to do with the engine repairs on the gasser. Got up this morning and we were running late for church, so jumped in the old '69 Suburban and hit the key. Starter cranked right over, and continued to crank over after the engine started! Turned the key off and it was still cranking the engine! Jumped out and opened the hood, trying to pull the battery terminal off, but I had it good and tight! Ran to the house to grab a wrench, but by the time I got back it was barely cranking, and the smoke was rolling.
Took the wife's car to church and when I got home I dropped the starter. Put my battery tester on the battery, and it must be a good one because it had come back to full voltage after it sat a few hours.
So now I gotta get a starter in the Burb before UPS delivers my parts for the Austin! Might end up having to dig the old Camaro out of mothballs so I have something to run after parts in!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've been there before. At one time I had three cars and not one of them worked so I had to rent a vehicle for a week. That wasn't fun. I am almost at that point right now. My 08 F-250 has the Job 1 radiator leak. I spew coolant all over the place. My 93 Jeep is in ok condition but it had some death wobble going on. I'm still a ways off with the falcon or else I would drive it to work if I had to. It never ends!

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure this will be a quick fix, but with the Austin down, and now the truck, plus our big swap meet starts Thursday and I'm getting ready for that too; it's going to be a busy week! And to top it all off the weather turned beautiful ever since the Austin broke! Supposed to rain Tuesday, just when the Austin should be running!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
That's a bummer. Glad it didn't start a fire. I had a power cable melt-down when that happened to me. Not good. Time for a mini high torquer. At least you have the wife's car for transportation.

The joys of having older cars.

Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
WTH...... Not the kind of "distraction" you need to get your mind off of the Austin's issues.

I have a motorcycle I can use if my daily driver beater ('97 Chrysler Concorde) but it does need rear brakes. Haven't rode much last couple of years due to back, neck, hand, elbow issues & pain made worse by riding. All that is why I have gotten back into hot rodding so serious in the last 5 years or so.

My wife's Avalanche is newer but with gas prices going over $4/gallon here I'd rather not use it anymore than I have to.

Our next swap meet (and biggest of the year) is not until the first weekend of May. Hope to get my brother to go. He wants to get a early muscle car and there is also a BIG "car corral" there with typically over 200 cars for sale.

Hope all works out with your cars this week..... especially with the "Mouse Trap".

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I've got a motorcycle in the garage too, but it's stuck in front of the Austin, and with my uphill driveway I can't get the Austin back in if I push it out to make room for the bike to get out. I'll go get a starter this a.m. and get the truck going.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yeah I've got a motorcycle in the garage too, but it's stuck in front of the Austin, and with my uphill driveway I can't get the Austin back in if I push it out to make room for the bike to get out. I'll go get a starter this a.m. and get the truck going.
Anxiously waiting to hear some "good news" for a change.

The starter should be straight forward. I am pretty sure you can handle it..... LoL !!!!!

Are the parts for the "Mouse Trap" coming today ?????

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the starter this a.m. from the yokels at Autozone. Always a hassle and this was no exception. Suffered through it, as their lifetime starter was cheaper than anyone else's. Parts for the Austin haven't arrived yet, but supposed to be here soon.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Got the starter this a.m. from the yokels at Autozone. Always a hassle and this was no exception. Suffered through it, as their lifetime starter was cheaper than anyone else's. Parts for the Austin haven't arrived yet, but supposed to be here soon.
What is it with the "yokels at Autozone?" What ever happened to the "parts man" at the "auto parts store?" After all the questions about the history and pedigree of the vehicle I usually go ahead and tell 'em.....and it's red, just to see the look on their face. :D

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is it with the "yokels at Autozone?" What ever happened to the "parts man" at the "auto parts store?" After all the questions about the history and pedigree of the vehicle I usually go ahead and tell 'em.....and it's red, just to see the look on their face. :D
Yeah, they're totally lost without all that info. Can't just tell them it's a smalllock, when the info is generic. What really irritates me is when I give them all the info and they still get it wrong. Today I went through that, and the starter they pulled was a straight pattern, not offset like I need. He takes it back and tries another number and it looks good, but the first box had shims in it, and #2 didn't. I ak him or the shims from #1 box, and he says the starter I got wont come with shims.
I then asked him why the box with S suffix has shims, and the one I'm buying also has the S suffix, and looks to have been opened, but no shims. He finally gave in and gave me the shims.

As or the Austin parts; that's another story. Got the parts and rushed to the garage to put the new pushrods and lifter in. As I removed the rockers I found two more lifters that had lost their retaining clips, and were waiting to come apart!!!! Now I have to call Summit again tomorrow and get those replaced too!
I may contact a local supplier and get lifters instead of waiting on Summit to deliver the rest. I want to get this thing together and be done with it soon!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow! I guess you're beyond frustrated by now. As my old Grandfather used to say, "trouble seems to come like bananas on a tree....in bunches." I sure hope things get turned around for you soon. Hang in there!

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it does confirm what I thought; that the lifter caused the broken pushrod, not the pushrod making the lifter fail. Called Jeff and he's got a full set of lifters, so whatever Summit says wont change me getting things together tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
As the title for this thread suggests (when it rains it pours) yesterday at the end of my day at the tire/auto repair shop I work part-time at I was told I would no longer be needed. (due to being "slow")

So for me & the Opel "when it rains it NOT only pours.... it also snows" :(

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As the title for this thread suggests (when it rains it pours) yesterday at the end of my day at the tire/auto repair shop I work part-time at I was told I would no longer be needed. (due to being "slow")

So for me & the Opel "when it rains it NOT only pours.... it also snows" :(
Well that really sucks John! Hope it doesn't put too much of a crimp in your plans!

Just got off the phone with Summit and they're sending out more lifters. I'm not completely comfortable now, and hope I don't have any other failures once it's back together. The thought of changing to solid lifter cam and lifters has definitely crossed my mind. If it all holds together through the summer I may do that next winter, or I might even start assembling parts to build another complete engine and put my heads and intake on it. A 350 Chevy is cheap to build, but I might consider going 302 or 337 Chevy for a high winder.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Too bad rollers are so expensive, huh Vall? That would cure a lot right there.

I hope you get it back together and re-broke in OK. I'm ultra paranoid about my flat tappet cam/lifter in my engine too. It's all Comp Cams stuff and I used a tone of break-in lube and addatives on the oil. At least there are oils out now specifically for older cars with flat tappet cams.

Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

I hope you get it back together and re-broke in OK. I'm ultra paranoid about my flat tappet cam/lifter in my engine too. It's all Comp Cams stuff and I used a tone of break-in lube and addatives on the oil. At least there are oils out now specifically for older cars with flat tappet cams.

Oh yea! Be sure to use the oil for engines with flat tappet cams. The regular stuff these days will wipe the lobes off in no time flat. There is a Zinc additive that will work also. Good luck Guys.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have a real auto parts store in town, but its hours are not as long as auto zone or advance. The younger guy did screw up my order. I asked for 351c parts and they got me windsor parts. When i went back the next day the older guy said a few cuss words and fixed my order. He said something about theres a damn difference between a c and a w. The kids in his early 20s and doesnt know any better. I have a feeling he would have got chewed out a bit if here were there. Lol

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The comp cam I bought specifically for the turbo in my Trans Am would have failed had the new owner not pulled the motor down to go through it. They even admitted to a metalurgical failure and still would not replace it. They offered to "WORK WITH US" if we bought another one thru them. Comp Cams is one business that will never---EVER---see any of my money again. Mark L

EDIT--Oh and it had less than 2000 miles on the cam and the metal was all pitted and falling out of the lobes.

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Got it running today, and sounds great after I got the distributor in right. Did a bonehead rookie mistake by stabbing it 180 off and when it backfired out the tailpipe it blew the end off the muffler! Restabbed it and got it running, then had to pull the exhaust and with a pair of cabinet clamps and a hammer I beat the end back in place and welded it.
I'm pretty paranoid about oil for flat tappet engines too. I use Shell Rotella diesel oil, with breakin additive and ZDDP also. Never had an issue with this formula, but it does make oil changes a little spendy. The Rotella is really cheap, but the other stuff isn't. I use this in my 350 and my 427 also.
I pulled all the lifters to check the wear, even though I only had a little over 500 miles, and they still looked like new, and a straight edge showed they were still convex on the end, so it seems to be working.
I've never owned a roller cammed engine, so don't know how they compar power wise. I would like one for the oil thing, but I can buy a lot of oil additives with the savings.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Vall, I'm glad everything is OK! As far as oil with a flat tappet cam have you or do you have Brad Penn oil on the west coast? It is the ONLY oil I use with any performance engine and never a cam or lifter failure. The Brad Penn is loaded with zinc and does not require an additive. Check out their web site. Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.