Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not ready yet, but I've been looking at wheels. I'm going to need a 15x10 with 4 in or less BS. Front will be 15x4.5. Used wheels are out of sight, all you got to do is put rat rod or gasser on the ad and they double. I've been looking at the JD wheels, Halibrand replica, that has the lip around the holes that look real good in the pics. I've found them, 15x10's, for as low as $122. Love the rears but ain't crazy over the fronts. Also was considering the torque thrust D wheels, they would look good all the way around. I like the gray spokes myself. Has anyone used either of these? Do the TT D wheels look close to the old Torque Thrust? I want a rear tire with at least a 12 in tread width, around 30 in tall. Most of the tires now have that funky tread pattern. Still thinking on that also.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I was discouraged by the used wheels prices on ebay too. I really liked the torque thrust D's all around too. So I went with summit racing and bought all 4 and fell in love. I may have the 6's up front and the 10's in he back with the pie crusts. I never regretted that choice. Wish I could do the same for the MG.

·
Administrator
13,534 Posts
My buddy bought the JD wheels for the '69 Nova we built 10" rear and 4.5" fronts. I really like them, and they're nicely finished and fit well. I think they're a good solid wheel at a great price.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vall, are the holes in the front wheels extra big? What I mean is, Ron's Rims had a good looking gasser wheel, rears, but the front ones the holes look funky looking. I may just go with the torque thrust D's. They have a 10 in with a 3 7/8's BS wheel and I really like them. AlanF, those are real nice wheels, don't know if you can get those wheels off the ground, you might have to drop the rear a little on that one in your aviator, LOL. Think I'll go over on the H site and ask them. They always have GOOD advice! Couldn't resist Vall, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to ask, I was thinking of M/T drag radials to get the size I want, but really don't like the tread pattern. Hoosier makes a tire in that size but the tread looks funky as heck on them. I need at least 12 inches of tread width, I'd go with Firestone pie crust, but they are crazy high. What have you all used to get a decent traditional look? It don't have to be period correct, but I don't want them to stand out.

·
Administrator
13,534 Posts
I don't see anything odd sized or extra large about the holes on his wheels. They're not like the little "kidney bean" holes some front runners used back in the day. Just normal sized to my eyes.
I'm running MT drag radials on my Austin and they have the smooth center, and sort of dirt track pattern on the edges. Look much better than other drag radials with their modern designs. Only thing I wish they had is a slightly more squared corner on the tread, to look more like a drag slick. Whenever mine wear out, I'll likely order a pair of Towel City Cheater slicks to replace them, just because they're more period correct looking.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
M/T drag radials didn't last very long on the street for us. My son hardly drove his car but I guess, when he did, he drove it hard. Come to think of it I remember seeing rubber on his quarter panel LOL. So we had to get new tires for him and he passed on the drag radials the 2nd time cause we don't have a drag strip here anyway. If you do decide on some sort of pie crust just keep in mind the sidewall is ridged compared to a regular drag tire or slick. So you have to draw a line between performance and gasser looks. I went for the looks on my 35 Chevy and really don't regret it but when i went to the strip in PA i sure wish I had a good ole wrinkle wall Slick.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the look of the pie crust, the widest Towel City has is 10 in from what I've seen. I'll decide when the time comes I guess.

I'm going to have a set mounted up on separate wheels, M/T slicks, I'd like to run a pie crust on the street, from what I see Towel City only has a 10 in wide slick. I'll figure something out before then. I wish the firestones wasn't so high.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coker has a MH cheater slick, 14.5/30/15. It has 12 in of section width, for $254

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everybody does anymore. I can't believe what it cost anymore to ship stuff. It might be because they haul it all over the country before it finally gets to you.

·
Administrator
13,534 Posts
Everybody does anymore. I can't believe what it cost anymore to ship stuff. It might be because they haul it all over the country before it finally gets to you.
Friend of mine talked to them about a pair of slicks and was quoted $200 shipping! He asked why so much, as his last pair was $80 and all they said was, "They're big." Not any larger than the last ones he paid $80 for.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Summit Racing has them. I went on there and looked last night, I'm a member of the Pro Shop from where I can get a discount, I'll check out what shipping is.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like the 30/14.50/15 MH is $278, plus additional $19.95 for each tire on shipping. Torque Thrust D, 15x4.5 is $99.00 and the 15x10, 3.75 BS, is $124. Not to bad, need to come up with some $$$.

·
Administrator
13,534 Posts
Which M&H tire is that? If it's the M&H Cheater Slick, you don't want to do much street driving with it. They are a very thin tread, and sidewall, and will quickly overheat and come apart. I talked with John at the M&H West Coast warehouse about them and he talked me out of them. Said if I drove less than 10 miles to the strip they'd be OK, but anything more and they'd fail on me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts