Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and got the narrowed olds rearend today I traded for. Only problem is, its a 4.88. It's got the pos carrier, 31 spline aftermarket axles, and is 48in total width. It has drum brakes and everything looks like its been replaced, brake wise. I think I'm just going to narrow an explorer 8.8 in order to get these 31x18.50, 15 tires underneath my 40 chev and be done with it. I have one of those. Does anyone have a clue what to ask for this rearend? I don't really want to have to deal with shipping it, thought I'd put it on CL and see what happens. Don't even know if anyone runs these anymore.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know if I can go to a 3.64 gear without changing the carrier? That would be anther option.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
With the 31" tires you're going to want a pretty low gear. Not sure the 4.88 isn't too low, but I'd want at least a 3.90 gear or it will be way too tall geared with those tires. I'm running 3.73 with 30" tires, and often need to run around in 3rd gear in town to keep the rpm's up.

That Olds rear axle is pretty desirable for an old school build, and should get at least $500-$600 on the low end.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a 3.64 gear, it's $399, cheaper than Mark Williams though. Think I'll put a 496 in it, BBC. Sold a bunch of LS stuff, also put my 15x10 Fenton Gyros on CL. I emailed Fabcraft metal to see if I can use my pos unit with a 3.64 gear, and not use a spacer. They have everything for these rearends, you name it. They're not cheap though.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
4:11 where not quite low enough when I had 31" tires on my 66 c10 chevy truck ...but I do a lot of mountain road driving... the olds and Pontiac rear ends are a great set up and look cool as hell...8.8 are cheap I payed $250 for mine with 4:11's and posi-trac...and disc brakes with 80 k on it...out of a explorer so its got the 31 spline axles... the rangers except the fx4 have 28 spline axles...every thing you want to know about 8.8's http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Ford-8_8-axle.shtml

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to sell it, my carrier won't except anything higher than 4.10's. I'll narrow the 8.8 I have, done talked to Strange on axles, bearings and Torino ends.I can use the factory disc brakes and get rid of the C clips.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
If your 8.8" has disc brakes, the C clips aren't an issue. The disc brake calipers will retain the axles should an axle ever break inside the tube, so a C clip eliminator kit isn't needed. Save your money, and leave the C clips in place. I doubt the aftermarket axles will be any finer splined than the stock 31 splines, and probably not a huge increase in strength, especially considering cost. I'm running the stock 8.8" axles, and even with wrinkle wall slicks it's held up well to hard launches.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought of that, but since I'm doing both sides, I figured it;d be worth it to have a better bearing. Since I'm staying with the 31 spline, I may just keep the C clips, I'll compare prices. Strange was cheaper than Moser, that surprised me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would go with PO rear. If the price is right. It just won't break. PERIOD! Have seen them with welded and ground spiders, stock axles. Big HP, and heavy cars. Just didn't break. Vall should know this too. Just call "Strange Engineering". Bob Stange started his business with these rear ends. The name became "Strange" because of a HRM misprint.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sold the 3rd member for $400, still have the housing, axles, and drum brakes. Hope I get lucky and can at least get $250 out of the rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts