Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moon Tank, I have been looking seems that 8x12 and 8x16 are popular, did a mock up out of paint cans but can not get a really visual on it, maybe due to placement, kind of hard to hold and see it, looked on images but no sizes are given

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Lash,
this is the one I bought for my coupe. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Aluminum-Tank-2-Gallon,27864.html
It was affordable and looked a lot like a moon tank. I thought it was a 3 gallon but this is a 2 gallon. I know the price is what I wanted to pay so it should be this one.
Also I wanted the filler cap in the center. Definitely was not the 5 gallon. It was a little too big at the front of the car.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mario is that the one on your coupe in the avatar???....I like it was the quality good enough the price is right

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Yes here are some pics under construction.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice mounting set up........Iam in, looks to be good for me to thank you

·
Registered
125 Posts
Since your talking about Moon tanks, I have a new factory fuel tank in place but does anybody run a Moon tank up front also? Being my 51 is going to be a street rod I need the capacity but want the look also.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Aside from a fire hazard first, Mine is strictly a dummy tank but it was plumbed to look real. If I ever run alcohol with my injection I have the capability to use the moon tank. But I doubt I'll ever get to do that. I will one day install Hilborn but till then it's just for looks. You will need a supply line, a return line and a vent line. I tucked mine away under the frame. Last week at a car show a guy actually laid under the car to see where the lines go to. He had no idea what the tank was for. When he asked me what it was for I told him he wasn't supposed to be looking under there and we had a good laugh.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Most I've seen were either plumbed as an overflow tank for the radiator, or not plumbed at all. Mostly done to keep the look of the old gassers, and not to actually function. The NHRA, and independent dragstrips wont allow a tank to be outside the frame rails, and pass tech inspections.
I put a 2.5 gallon on my Falcon, but didn't put a tank on my Austin at all. The Austin is so tiny that even a small tank looks like a wart sticking out there in front of the tiny car.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe thats it Vall it just wont look right on my truck......I hate to buy it and not like it..........part of the problem is I am required to have the front bumper.........year of truck, older wont have to....they just look so much better on a bumper less car or truck

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I think you're right Lash. They only work, if they fit the vehicle, and sit properly. I've got a nice old small tank I bought last year at the April swap meet, but it's still not small enough for my Austin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts