Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building ladderbars for my Fiat gasser, and i`m at the point to get the materials for it.
Lower tube will be 1" (2.5cm) and the upper a little bit under 7/8" (around 2cm).
I need some heim joints for the end that connects to the chassis. Figured i can order them from USA since they are very expensive over here... (as everything else), but what sizes am i looking for?
I think the best way is thread the lower tube..so.. help me out please :)

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I use 5/8" or 3/4" for that size tube, but I also use weld bungs, instead of threading the tube. If you plan to thread the tube you'll probably have to go to 1" heims, and the prices for heims and bolts will be extravagant! I can't even guess what they'll cost, as my supplier doesn't carry anything larger than 3/4".
Here's where I get them cheapest:
http://www.qscomponents.com/

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I think i`ll try some chr.moly 5/8" heim with weld bungs then. Thanks for the help again.
I like weld bungs for my heims. I drill holes in 3-4 places and plug weld them, then do a perimeter weld at the joint also. They'll never fail that way!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plug weld is good... i`ll do that. Will post pics when in the making. Getting the heims and plugs tomorrow, and i have ordered tubes from a friend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you are building "real" ladder bars, not just for looks, I'd go with the 3/4 heims. That's what most all of the factory built ones use. Remember, when you launch, the forces that are planting the tires are also trying to bend the shank of that front heim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts