Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading another thread, a reference was made to a "proper gasser" which got me thinking, what makes a proper gasser?

To prompt the discussion, my own upcoming project has the current considerations:
Elevated body using straight axle in front and ladder bars in the rear
Front upward rake
Large slicks out back and small skinny tires up front
Roots style Supercharger with Fuel injection
Zoomy pipes
Moon tank on the front without front bumper
A name for the car with bold lettering on the side

What else is a "must have"?
What should be avoided?

·
Registered
643 Posts
HMMMN,

I like the idea for the thread!

The group of people on this forum is what I would call very embracing and liberal towards variations of Gassers than anywhere else, and not quick to judge what is wrong.

I have not been a student of the Gasser world long enough to add to your list definitively. Looks like you have alot of great ingredients.

I know what I don't like when I see it, not to turn this into a negative but I do think it is worth consideration of what not to do.

So, what to be avoided? I think to much upward rake can be to much.. How much is to much? That is very subjective, hard to place a quantity on it, just know it when I see it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would personally avoid this for fenderwell exit headers/Zooomies! IMHO! ,,, anyway.

And for a front straight axle mount,,, this might be a bit excessive too.

Like I said we are very embracing on this forum but for me this is just a novelty set up. But whatever smokes your tires. And this car would certainly cause a bit of discussion and interest in the Gasser Hot Rod world right?? ,,,,Often we are an overlooked part of the evolution of Hot Rods. So there is good to be found in just about everything! I would like to see the rest of this car, anyone seen it?

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything", so there's my stand on what to avoid. :cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I like the idea of "what makes a gasser" threads, but they often turn ugly. What I think makes a car a gasser, isn't necessarily what others think. It may be what the NHRA rule books stated, but then what years? The rules didn't allow tube chassis early on, but towards the end the rules allowed them. And Moon tanks were very common, but not a "must have". And the rules changed requiring Moon tanks to be mounted back behind the end of the frame rails in the 60's, so most gas class cars went with other style tanks that didn't show.
But for the sake of fun I'll put a few things in that I like to see.
1-Fenderwell headers, as the rules said headers needed to end in a collector or common outlet. No zoomies, unless they had a common outlet at the end.
2-Some sort of large tire on the rear, that hopefully hangs out past the body panel a little, or at least even with the body panel. Not a fan of tubbed rears, but smaller cheater slicks tucked in are fine by me. I like a radiused wheelwell opening too!
3-Skinny front tires!
4-A bit higher than stock stance. I prefer straight axle gassers, but sure have seen some great looking gassers with control arm front setups!
5-I like a rollbar. 3 point or 4 point, or whatever. Just gives the car a race theme to my eye.
6-Lettering on the side. Name of the sponsor, garage, or car's name. Just adds to the theme for me.
7-I prefer no front bumper, but again have seen many cars that had them, and looked super!
8-Full, or fairly complete interiors. No backseat is fine, and another rule change that allowed them to be omitted. But I like door panels, two front seats, and a headliner. Originally gassers were required to have "factory style interior", and I like that myself.
9-Something sticking through the hood! Again my personal preference, but it just makes the difference between a neat car, and a bit over the top to me.
10-Wheels that fit the theme! This is a biggie to me. A good wheel choice can make the car. A bad choice of some "too modern" wheel will kill a pretty cool build.

I sure hope my personal preferences don't step on any toes, or make anyone think there preference isn't just great! Simply my opinion. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love any feedback. From the time I logged on here I felt like this was going to be a more liberal group than some of the resto forums I've been on. While I know Gassers were class racers, I was thinking more about the aesthetic pieces that commonly define a gasser than a class legal car.

As to the zoomies, the Gremlin I'm planning is going to be a meld/morph of a gasser with a Rat Fink inspired cartoon. I've designed and hope to build a contraption that will allow the zoomies to function fully and alternately route the exhaust under the car to quiet it down.

I forgot to mention the rollbar or any interior details but I plan on using one of those old school rollbars that is tall behind the driver but dips down behind the passenger. I like a stock appearing interior with large awkwardly installed gauges and switches. The car will be built as an amusement/novelty for car shows and not put on the track.

This may be over the top but...the Gremlin grilles are plastic, brittle, very hard to find and expensive. Mine is broken, so I bought a used grille from a '55 Chevy to inset in my grille surround.

Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
What makes a Gasser.....A guy with a set of tools and a junk yard near by...and some desirer

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Yeah what he said!!!!!lol

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Any gasser worth its salt needs a blonde with nice legs and a great ass to push it when it breaks down!!

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
My project is going to be an out side the build also and also inspired by a Johnny Lightning car its going to be a 1977 Olds Cutlass.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Alan that's a gorgeous car. For 70 grand you could build your own. Format is great for the gremlin.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Yes, the Nova is very nice, but man that's a ton of money! A guy could build one for a bunch less if he did most of the work, and bought things right.

This one cost less than $25k to buy already completed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I'm building my own. Just looking for those "essential elements". I like that tachometer mount in the blue Nova, looks like one off an old drag boat I once had.

I've been waiting to get my car in to a shop to do the frame and suspension setup. Hopefully it goes in after the 4th. Will be building a rear subframe for attaching ladder bars, tie the front to rear frame and install front straight axle.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Oh I'm building my own. Just looking for those "essential elements". I like that tachometer mount in the blue Nova, looks like one off an old drag boat I once had.

I've been waiting to get my car in to a shop to do the frame and suspension setup. Hopefully it goes in after the 4th. Will be building a rear subframe for attaching ladder bars, tie the front to rear frame and install front straight axle.
Might as well go for a full frame on a Gremlin. By the time you build a rear frame long enough for ladder bars, you only need a couple more feet of frame to be done!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts