Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying rocket 15x4.5 front wheels, 2900lb weight of truck what is a good tread width, remember I live where there are a lot of curvy roads I found some D.O.T 27x5x15 also a lot of 4 and 4.5 's wide dont want the fat look or the belongs on a bike look, also found a lot of the tire spec for use on 4" wheel widths I would think that the 1/2" more should not be a problem, any input thanks

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I use 165-80-15 on both of my cars. Even the BBC weight in the Falcon works well with this size. My buddy has them on his fairly heavy 3600 lb. '56 Chevy, and takes long road trips with no problems. I like the Nexen, but they aren't always available. Checked a couple months ago for new fronts for my Austin, and Nexens were on national backorder. Had a friend donate a new pair to me after I swapped his car to dual master, and line lock, so good to go now!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I run 205-75-15s on a set of 4.5" Keystones on my 68 Dodge Coronet street/strip car. There not to fat and not to skinny. They have a nice beefy sidewall stance that doesn't look like a conveyor belt rapped around the wheel.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 205/75-14 0n there now still look a little fat but you do have to stop and all the braking is up front as well as weight transfer, I see that the street tires are way cheaper than the MT'S and other street strip tires...........maybe a 185/75x15

·
Registered
112 Posts
Coker Tire makes a radial now that looks just like an old bias ply. There not cheap but they have the great tall slender look of an old tire that looks so Cool.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Most racing frontrunners wont make a good street tire. They're extremely lightweight, and just not durable enough for street driving. If you look at street tires, you want a good sidewall, and more thread thickness. The patch that sits on the ground is not that much greater for a larger tire. You're looking at around a 4.5"x6" contact area, and going larger only increases the width slightly.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea Vall I was looking at some photos a guy had posted on a mustang website of ones he was selling and they looked way to light weight so those are out, I guess it really comes down to height and profile of the tire that gives it a certain look, I was looking at what I have on there now and a Duhhhh moment hit me Iam looking at a radial profile tire fatter than a bias tire in the side wall, I just dont want to buy and have that should have moment.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Hi, well I am going to toss my 5 cents in on this. I had the Mickey Thompson Streets on front of the 38 originally on a 6 inch wide rim, because I too wanted a nice footprint. After mounting and putting them on the car, I didn't really care for the look, but too late. After bending one rim and punching the tire, I decided to go with a 4.5 inch wide rim, same tire, only taller, the 28 inch tall tire. I think it looks better, at least to me. And the handling has not changed with the less footprint. Steering is still solid, no push or issues with turning. However, my steering is standard, so it may be different with power steering and smaller footprint. Mine are biased ply tires also, so are easier to get the tall sidewall look.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure what your budget is but you might want to consider a new bias ply, a Pro Trac front runner or one of Cokers bias look radials. With technology better than before the new bias plys are much better than they used to be. Another tire to consider is a metric radial that is used on VWs. Not quite as tall of a side wall as a bias but they have the skinny look.

As for the 205s you have now, are they on a 6" wheel? If you put a 205 on 4 or 4.5 wheel it brings the sidewalls in alot further than the 6" wheel and does away with alot the fat look. If you happen to have a skinny 14" wheel lying around mount one of your 205s up and see how it looks. Its worth a try.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Here's an example on my Falcon of 14" and 15" front runners.

The combo on the car are 14"x5.5" with 195-70-14 tires. The ones sitting next to it are 15x4 with 165-80-15 tires. Quite a difference in height, but both handled the BBC weight easily on the Falcon. The 15" give a better ride, and steer easier with my manual steering. Plus a 15" gives a ton more tire selection than a 14" does. I see a time soon when the 14" will be almost impossible to buy a tire for. It's almost there now!

·
Registered
112 Posts
What car are these going on? A small car like a Henry J or Falcon can get away with a shorter tire but on a bigger sedan you need something taller so it don't look like a Schwinn AppleKrate.

I vote for a 6.50/7.00-15 Bias Ply.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vall the Nexen look about right checked around and there not to be found Wally world is out around here on B/O.... most places on line are out, comes out to be about a 27 inch tall tire, checking to see if I can find 165 80/15, in another brand locally, thank you for the pictures it really helped to see the difference.....now seeing them on the five spoke rims just confused me on my choice, I want 5 or the 10 spokes, the bean wheels are nice to but I love the rocket 10 spokes

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
The 165-80-15 I have on the front of my Austin are Kumho Power Star 758. Look much like the Nexen, but believe they cost less. They actually look a bit large on my 15"x3.5" slots, and the tiny Austin body. Discount tire lists them at $112 a pair, with free shipping. You probably have a Discount Tire store near you, and they'd most likely sell for that price or less.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-165-8...0|Rim+Diameter:15&hash=item540670ea64&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Iam way ahead of you Vall I use Kumho on my Grand Marquis and Crown Vic, great tires.....I checked none here in Washington... I know they now make them in China as well as Korea the china ones are crap, so I would have to make sure they are the Korean $112 a pair is a great price thanks for the link

1 - 16 of 16 Posts