Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scoop. Down the street from where I work I have discovered a 56 4 Dr. sedan. My son went over and looked at it. Dad bought it for his son, son not interested. Car is dencent, needs some floor repair and minor rocker fixes, mostly complete. Front clip off, original 265 and powerglide removed. Rolling car 85% complete of parts, all windows, trim intact. Needs bumpers put on and some other odds and ends but pretty much all there. Car needs complete resto but is sound enough to be a good driver to start. Comes with all repair sheetmetal needed. He said he wants $4,800. Is that in the ballpark or is it on the high side ? I feel that I have run across better deals than that when I really wasn't looking for a car. Don't know the state of the powerglide or 265, my son didn't get to ask. What everyones opinion ??

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Sounds a bit steep for a 4-door that needs that much done to it. Depends on what they go for in your area. Low here is about $2k, maybe $4k if it is a decent basket case. A runner that needs love would be in the 4-6k range and a decent one is $6k & up if you can find a buyer... of course there are always guys that have a car that when I was a kid would be scrap an they want $2,000. I went and looked at a wagon that in the pictures looked OK, but in person there wasn't much that was saveable.

Not being able to test fire the engine or trans makes them basically cores and the parts are just that, parts. They shouldn't include the value of being on the car.

Have you seen what other like vehicles are going for in your area?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen any lately but we just decided to start looking. I would say from what I remember for our area that the 2k price is more in the ballpark. I will have to start hunting around and see what turns up. Since I have also met back up with some of my old friends in the trifive world, maybe someone will know of one or have one extra project they don't want and the kid will be able to jump on it. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I agree with Mike, plus if you wanted to resell it, it would be more diifficult to move the 4 door. Or you could let your kid work on it and if it doesn't work out, you are not out a bunch of money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts