Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a thread where a couple members were sharing their memories of the first encounter that set the car-bug hook and I thought that it might make a good stickey.

Post your experience here.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Since nobody in my family was really into cars, I'd have to say the guy who lived next door to me was the influence. He had a big old 4 car cement block garage with all kinds of cool tools and always a car or two. I was really interested in what they were building, even at a very early age of probably 7-8 yrs. old.
I spent a lot of time watching what went on, and bugging them with questions. He had a son who was a couple years older than me, but he had zero interest in the shop or the cars. I remember his dad buying him a gorgeous black and white '55 Chev 2dr hdtp, and within a year it was banged up and soon rattle can red primer covered the whole car. My older brother and I were pretty upset that he got such a nice gift for his 16th birthday and abused it.
I bought my first vehicle when I was 13 yrs. old. A '47 International panel truck that my uncle had in his field. Paid $25 for it, and worked off the payment, plus more to buy parts to get it running. Took several months, but I drove it all over his farm once it ran, and made numerous trips to the gas station with my 5 gallon can to keep it fueled over the next 3 yrs. until I got my license and could drive it home!
All my buddies made fun of the panel truck, but it was the ride that we always took on a road trip to the beach, or a weekend campout. Sold it to a neighbor who had a home business a year later, and bought my mom's '57 Belair sedan.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've ben a car guy as far back as I can remember. Used to swap the wheels from larger scale toy cars and trucks onto the rear of my smaller scale ones. When I hit my teens there was a a guy in my town with a well built '67 Mustang. I was hanging around once while he was tinkering on it and he fired it up in the garage with open headers. What a rush. He later gave me a ride in it. Man, he could really bang the gears on that 4 speed. A couple of other guys built a rat rod Model A roadster (Yes, they've always been around). 383/3speed stick/welded spider gears in the rear end with recapped slicks. Got a ride in that one too. Like a 90 mph go cart ride. When I was 15 I wanted to buy a '58 Bel Air with a bad engine but my Dad said if I was getting a car it had to be something "decent". When I got my liscence, I got a '65 Mustang fastback. I got out of school, got a job.got married and tried to grow up but it didn't take. Have had some kind of project car for at least the last 30 years.

Blue

·
Registered
43 Posts
Grew up on a Island in MD where there was nothing to do as a teen. My friends dad opened a local body shop and hired me at age 13 to help the body guys out cleaning up after them in the evening's after school. Most of the guys there had classic Hot Rods and were always doing thing's to them. I fell in love with the Hot Rods and power and as the years went on I learned alot. My first Hot Rod I got at 15, was a 72 Monte Carlo that was picked up from a auction, since then I have bought sold and or wrecked over 20 Classic cars. Im in my late thirtys now and in the military which has slowed me down a little. Now Im getting into the 40's and 50's body styles and seeing what kind of Monsters I can build with them.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
GREAT THREAD Mike..... My father also DID NOT have any interest in cars so my brother & I interest in cars was stirred by people & experiences that came from outside our home.

As kids I can remember painting every bike, wagon & scooter "flat black" with hand painted flames & skull heads. I vividly remember the "older guys" liking what we had done with them. They of course had "hot rods" and leather jackets and were the "cool guys" in my pre-teen years.

Building model cars also had a big influence. First one I built was a Willys couple which I still have!!!

Then as I neared driving age I ended up having friends who also had the "hot rod bug". Right about that time the movement to get "street racers" off the street and on to organized drag strips. Then I was able to ride in quite a few cool cars that I could only dream about.... a '62 Chevy 409 - '63 supercharged Avanti (remember them!!!) as well as the older kid across the street who had a '62 F.I. Vette. I haven't been the same since then.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well I grew up in the 50's , in a small town in northern New Mexico,, (Espanola) My dad owned the Chevrolet /Oldsmobile dealership in town, he was a car nut, but not hotrod type nut,,when I was probably 13 - 14 y/o. my first job was keeping all the cars on the lot clean, and got paid a whole 75 cents a hour, ( this was in 1951) but I could use a car off the BACK row on sat nights,,(back then you could get your lisence at 14, but at this time I was probably 15 16) , not much to do in a small town in back woods NM so we started driving to Santa Fe, where ther was more girls,, wasn't long tilll my dad found out about it and stopped the use of the car on sat nights,,
I begged him for probably 6 months to sell me a 48 chev convertible, that had been sitting there forever, some guy from town had customized it some,, by removing all the trim and putting duel exaust and a nice TaJuana tuck and roll interior in it,, so it didn't sell, eventually he sold it to me for I think 100$ which was a gob of money in those days,,
first thing I did was jack it up and take the front springs out and set it back down on the rubberbumps,, rode like a damn lumber wagon, that didn't go over very well with my dad, so he took it away from me, for a while,, ( probably a month ) I finally got it back and never did anything that stupid to it again,, Wish I had it now

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
O boy. I have to go way back. Somewhere way back when I was 10 to 12 years old (1962-1964) I saw a pic of a custom hot rod. I can still see the pic in my mind because it was pretty radical for the time. It was a bucket T but the body had been put on the frame so the fame was level, but the body was cowl down over the rails and the back was at standard level. So it looked like the body had fallen front down over the frame. It was black but I can't remember anything as far as details. Anyway. Our little band of monsters around the neighborhood at that time were building carts etc., and we had a lot of good hills for rolling down if you weren't lucky enough to have a father that bought you motors etc., (yup deep seated jealousy there, LOL). We had a town dump for solids (not food or human waist) just a block away from our house and we always got our raw materials from there. I found a wooden table frame about 2 foot by 6 foot out of 1X4 and that became my frame. I pounded metal rod for axles into some 2X4s for the wheels (got them somewhere????) and that became my axles. Now this is where you have to use your imagination. I found a wooden box/shell from an old TV in the dump that became the bucket T body. I placed the box over the frame but I dropped the front of the box down just like that Hot Rod I had seen, the back was up on top of the rails in the back, I cut out the sides the shape of bucket T doors and hinged them with something like leather straps or something I dug up so they would open and close. I found a cardboard box that I cut the bottom out of leaving just a little bit of the sides and nailed it to the front for a radiator/grill shell. I nailed some wooden strips to the four corners of the box to stick up and I put some kind of fabric over it for a top. That was my Hot Rod. In my mind that was the Hot Rod I had seen in the pictures. First hill I ran down it disintegrated like a rotten tree. But I believe it was what got me going on cars. Started model building and drawing them and looking at J.C. Whiteny cataloges for stuff to put on my Dads '63 Chevy Impala.
Than I got into motorcycles. I saw chopper with extended front forks and started making my own for my bikes. I would take pipe or metal conduit, flatten one end and drill a hole for the front tire axle. Then jam it onto the end of old fork so they were secure and equal length, and run a small 20 inch front tire. The back of the 26 inch frame I ran the fattest 26 inch ballon tire/rim I could find. We had a lot of motorcylce groups and riders in our area and they used to give me thumbs up all the time, when they weren't laughing, heh. I was always bothered that the front forks just did not look right because the end of the original forks bent forewards and by just adding the extensions, it caused the forks have a kink about 3/4s of the way down. That's when I found out the cycle guys cut and repositoned the neck on their frames to get the rake and use straight forks. In that same ol' dump I found an old "CHROME" springer front bike fork. Man what find!!!! I lengthened it and took my frame apart and cut off the fork neck, trimed back the top frame rail and asked a friends father that had a welder to weld it, raked, back together, which he did. I was so stoked. Carried that damn frame all the way home thru town (about 2 miles), hand sanded the weld joints and painted the frame. I put the darn thing all together, the rake was great, the frame sat level and the smaller front tire and the bigger ballon rear tire still kept it perfect. I hopped on and that was when I noticed. When welding the neck back on he had never lined up the neck straight with the frame and it was cockeyed to one side. So the frame was vertical but the fork was twisted slightly to one side. From the side it looked great, from edge on it was kittywampus. But I still pedaled that thing around town. Proud as a peacock. Heh, memories. MArk L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sir Markus BeenThereLotious...... we (my brother) had a red wagon that one day we brush painted it flat black with silver & red flames with "Elvis" written on the back of it, red rims with wide whites painted on the tires . Used it to pick up groceries for our mother and of course fun rides down the steep hill we lived on.

The teenagers (with hot rods) thought it was cool that young kids "hot rodded" a wagon.

Then a few years later after building more than our share of model cars.... when I was 15 I got to ride in a brand new '62 Chevy SS Impala 409 with a 4 speed. That did it for me for a life time.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The best I can remimber..........I think it was around the age of 5/6 and a ride in a '56 T-Bird. The first time I ever saw a speedometer reach 100 mph. My Uncle made me promise to never tell my Mother or Grandmother. :D :D Wow! That's been a long time ago.......but seems like only yesterday! :) Don't you just love fond memories..... :) :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Born and raised a car guy thanks to my Pops!!! He worked for a chevy car dealership and always picked kool cars for demos. He also had great stories of his childhood and all the great cars he had growing up. Mostly 40's and 50's Fords and chevys and a '63 Impala SS 409. He talked about it having the dual carb set up and always fouling the shit out of the plugs!! Ha!! Also said at 25 cents a gallon he still couldn't afford the gas!!!! He always regretted selling them and thanks to those stories and regrets I never sell anything I've ever owned! Ha!! Anything Kool that is. Just yesterday he helped me load my high school sweet heart 1980 Z28 out of storage and bring it home. Time to start restoring it for my 2 week old son!!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
All great stuff guys!! It started for me when i was 13. I mowed yards during the summer and had a couple close to a local mechanic and drag racer. The first time i discovered he had a car i was running the weed eater next door. I even had ear plugs in. All the sudden i heard the best sound in the world, pulled the ear plugs out and shut off trimmer. I walked into his yard and peaked in the garage. At this time he had an old ford faremont with boss 302. Turns out he was was tuning for that nights drag race, which at that time i didnt even know what that was. All i knew was the sound of that car was amazing. Open headers, and the rumpity rump idle etc. I just watched in amazement. He shut the car off and said what ya think young man? i didnt know what to say. He gave me a quick tutorial on the car and drag racing. 1/8 mile car, heads up lbs per cubic in and he was running a class called stock option. He said i changed cams this morning and just got done breaking it in and now i need to try it out, wanna ride? Man i was excited, and pretty scared too. of course, I was trying to be cool and said yeah yeah i want a ride. Boy did i ever get one!! This thing revved like mad, it had a crashbox ford toploader and a 6.50 rear gear. We made a short joust down his long straight street. All i can remember is the sound of the engine and the fact that i was glued to the seat and couldnt move, the ride was over quick! I got out and could barely stand up, i was trembling terribly. He said you ok young man? I said, yeah, that was awesome!!
The rush i got that day has and will last forever. Turns out the ole faremont was running a 6.90 @ 102, weighing 3100 lbs with that ole boss 302. 8500 rpm launch and 9000 shift.
This guy is now a good friend and helps me out alot with my builds and even my family cruisers. He has his own shop in town. He now has a 68 nova with a destroked 350 down to 289 cubes. I posted a link to a youtube vid of his nova over in the engine section under the thread destroked engines. He had just built the 289 so check it out.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Really cool story, Casey. I can just imagine the grinn on your face that day. Those are the experiences that remain etched deep in our souls for eternity. Thanks for sharing it with us! :) :) :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks bob, i enjoyed sharing it aswell. Had that same grinn on my face just telling the story
Really cool story, Casey. I can just imagine the grinn on your face that day. Those are the experiences that remain etched deep in our souls for eternity. Thanks for sharing it with us! :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Love the story Casey. Mark L

·
Registered
395 Posts
Your exactly right! Those days are unfortunately gone and todays kids have no idea what a real muscle car or hotrod is. It is sad. Glad you watched the vid i posted and yes the nova scoots for a 10.5 lb per cuin car!
Casey that story is awesome ! ! If you didn't get hooked that day it was never going to happen. We were blessed to grow up in the time we did. I watched that video of your friends Nova. That car is BLAZING FAST and the driver knows what the heck he's doing to. ;) ;)

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
I loved the story too Casey! I have hope for today's youth myself. I see many of them at car shows and events, and they're very interested in our old school gassers, and ask great questions! I even know a number of young people who would rather have a 40-50 year old car, than a new import.

·
Registered
395 Posts
vall, I can relate to that, I work at a high school and i talk racing and hotrods to the kids when i can. Several have came to see my impala and are excited to see it goin. We'll keep spreading the word to keep old hotrods alive!
I loved the story too Casey! I have hope for today's youth myself. I see many of them at car shows and events, and they're very interested in our old school gassers, and ask great questions! I even know a number of young people who would rather have a 40-50 year old car, than a new import.

·
Registered
643 Posts
How I got hooked on cars.

I was interested in cars but my family had no GEARHEADS, none!

At 15 years of age and while BORED TO DEATH during a viset to my Grandparents house,,,I went to the local 7-11 and bought a Hot Rod magazine.

It had a dragster on the cover that had blown up and tumbled, burned and came apart at over 200 MPH, then the driver walked away. Great pictorial inside. The progression of 15 pics showed how the rail ended up with nothing but the roll cage left that only encapsulated the driver,,,he climbed out before any of the crews got there.

I read the whole magazine cover to cover and was converted to gearhead statis instantly.

I have sought out and surrounded myself with other gearheads ever since. ....... Most of my family still soes not get it,,,but I found a wife that does like cars, YEA!! She likes to drive, allmost anything,,,,and that is way cool :)

OH Yeah, after reading many Hot Rod Mags and before I got my license,,, I decided that my first car was going to be a V8 Pinto, yep! built it in High School Auto Shop.

Looking back I now realize I was only a little bit brainwashed thinking that it was kinda normal to have a V8 Pinto as a first car - HAHAHAHA!

56 VIC aka, Tom

1 - 20 of 111 Posts