Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd start a "new" thread as some of my recent posts have started getting a little loooooong esle where.

What I really NEED to do is get back to my "Project Build Thread" and get it up to date. Problem with that is "lots" of stuff has happened since I started the tread and lots of info and pictures need to be written & posted.

When I read other "Project/Build Threads" like Vall & Mark's I know that how it's "suppose" to be done. So one of these days I plan to "get with it"!!!!

For now I was telling everyone about "what's happening" now. Still working on the "workshop project" which includes "widening" the doors so the Opel will fit as well as adding on more lighting & electrical circuits, etc. It's been a long project which is taking much longer than I originally planned.

All this "carpentry work" has taken up ALL my work time but hasn't stopped my "mind" from thinking & making plans for what to do one the Opel first.

First & most importantly I have to completely wire the car. I have already purchased a "Painless" wiring kit.

Recently I "bartered" a set of newer style leather racing style bucket seats to a friend of mine who will be helping me with "sheet metal, fabrication & welding". A GREAT DEAL for he is a sheet metal/welder by trade & his work is beyond words!!!!

So now I am deciding what kind of seats to get. The fiberglass racing seat (one) will do for now but once the Opel becomes more "street worthy" I will need a passenger seat.

I am leaning towards using "bomber seats" ..... have narrowed it down to two different styles:

Both are nice.... would have to make a seat pads for the second one which could be removed at cruises/shows to show-off the seats' rolled & pleated style. Where as the first ones are not as "flashy" and have "non-removable" seat pads.

The second ones are more expensive ..... the ones my wife likes!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
That fiberglass bucket that's in your car is HOT! I'd find another one and stitch it to match!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I agree with str8axle. If you can find a match to the seat you have I like them. But the lowback bomber seats with padding are really nice too! Most bomber seats I've looked at were extravagantly priced, so I haven't considered them in my budget.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That one seat looks like a standard plastic JAZ seat, but someone did a custom stiched cover to it. Looks good. Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That fiberglass bucket that's in your car is HOT! I'd find another one and stitch it to match!
That one seat looks like a standard plastic JAZ seat, but someone did a custom stiched cover to it. Looks good. Mark L
I agree with str8axle. If you can find a match to the seat you have I like them. But the lowback bomber seats with padding are really nice too! Most bomber seats I've looked at were extravagantly priced, so I haven't considered them in my budget.
Thanks guys for the suggestion. Truthfully I never thought about keeping the "solo-seat" that is in the Opel now.

When I got the Opel the previous owner did tell me he was NOT able to find or find out where the seat cover came from. It is an unusual seat cover that is also very comfortable & padded much more than most racing seat covers.

The diamond tucked pattern is really nice and different ..... but what makes the seat cover "extra" special & unique is the stitching forms an ""INDIAN HEAD" on the headrest.

I ride an Indian Scout motorcycle so that is a nice feature of the seat cover.

Finding another fiberglass/plastic seat (Jaz) should not be a problem. But, I doubt I will be able to find an exact match for the seat cover. Hopefully I can find something to at least "come close" to the look of this seat cover.

The bomber seats are not as expensive as some I have seen.
The leather covered ones are $375 & the all stainless ones are $499 (both prices includes shipping).

Thanks again for the tip!!!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That indian stitching on your set would be great for my Indian/Pontiac. I think you could find someone to copy the stitching. Could be expensive though. I redid my stock bench seat but I do worry about a rearend collision. I have two discs removed and fused in my neck (3 in my back). The discs were removed, the vert. was cut out and a post put in and a titanium plate in the front screwing the three verts all together. Just before moving down here, after retiring, I was delivering parts for NAPA. I was driving a Chrysler mini van for the parts hauling and I was hit smack in the rear by a big box straight truck. I was sitting at a stop sign and he was going somewhere over 30. He would not say since it was 25MPH zone. I really fear what would have happened to my neck had it not been for the high back seat. I came thru fine but I was scared to even move once the van rolled to a stop. So I have a lot of concern with the bench seat. I have a nice single Scat seat/highback to use but I would have to find another. I may not look proper but I think I might be safer. Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That indian stitching on your set would be great for my Indian/Pontiac. I think you could find someone to copy the stitching. Could be expensive though...... I have a nice single Scat seat/highback to use but I would have to find another. I may not look proper but I think I might be safer. Mark L
I understand about the work you had done on your neck.... I have a titanium plate, cadaver bone & 6 screws holding my neck together.

I also understand about your concerns about not having a high back seat. Being your Poncho is being built with a race car/gasser look having racing style bucket seats would be fine.

I am NOT set on keeping the solo seat w/the Indian cover. Especially if I can not find an exact match or suitable design to go along with the Indian covered high back racing seat.

I would NOT spend a LOT of money to duplicate it. Being the bomber seats with black inserts are somewhat reasonable I'd rather spend the money to get them.

Let's see how things develop as Winter progresses & the builds continue, etc. etc

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I have to keep reminding myself that I'm building my car to have fun with, and although I want a certain look, I don't want to get so hung up on nostalgia that I can't make some changes that wont be period correct for a 60's style gasser. Sometimes safety means way more than having things exactly as they were in the 60's.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vall..... You are soooooo "RIGHT on the MONEY $$$$"

The way we did things "Back-in-the Day" were no doubt inferior compared to the "standards" of today. In many ways it was not because a lack of "effort" of racers/builders. With the development of the sport thankfully safety standards also improved.

I can remember when I had to install "SEAT BELTS" in my '61 Chevy Impala rag-top. With the numerous safety standards required on cars today it's hard to imagine a day when cars didn't even come from the factory without seat belts.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Yes! I know there are still some who are holdouts in the seatbelt thing today, as I see older rods without them. But I also wonder why anyone would want to take a chance and not run at least a lap belt. I feel kinda unsafe if I get in a car and drive when there's no belts to buckle me in. My wife wouldn't even go around the block in the Austin until I had full harnesses in, just because she's used to them in our old Camaro, and she said it makes her feel really safe once she's all buckled in.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do remember a time when I did not wear seat belts 100% of the time. With the modern day seat belts I do feel safer with them compared to lap belts.

With the way hot rods are built there are quite a few things that are commonly accepted that make them not as safe as they could be.

Bumpers, gutted interiors, chopped roofs, minimal lighting/turn signals, modified suspensions, etc are things that compared to modern day cars are "less safe".

For me having a roll bar/cage, full harness or seat belts is not only mandatory but smart/safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts