Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clear up into the mid 50's today, and tomorrow too! Got out and did some more sanding on the gasser, then pulled my old Camaro out and went through all my garage flourescent lighting to upgrade from old T12 lamps to new T8 lamps and ballasts. Man it went from a dungeon in the garage to lots of light!
Supposed to be pretty dry most the week, and not too cold. (feel sorry for you guys near the Great Lakes and East!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
nothing like some nice bright lights to "help" with your body work...all sorts of ripples and dings popping out at ya lol!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nothing like some nice bright lights to "help" with your body work...all sorts of ripples and dings popping out at ya lol!
It's actually my garage where my old Camaro, and most of my tools are stored. Not much work gets done in it, as it's too tight being a single car garage with the Camaro and my motorcycle taking up the space. It was just so dark I couldn't find tools in my rollaround without a flashlight.
My canopy out back where I'm doing the Austin actually has lots of ambient light, plus really good flourescent lighting I added when I assembled it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here in St.Paul we have almost no snow on the ground and it was 45 deg today. The last of last weekend's 2 inches is almost gone. I was going to go for a cruize today but it was just too messy. Tomorrow I'll go to the new FC shop and set up the new syncrowave TIG welder then off to anlther weld shop to get some rod and some silicone /bronze for some tig brazing.

These trips will give me my Jan miles in my quest to try and drive 12 consecutive months. 75 miles each of the winter months. Feb will most likely be a killer with snow and cold but I'll drive in the snow if I have too. I still don't know the lower temp limit. 5 deg is my low record and I did see frost on the bottom of the carbs at this level.

If I can make Feb then March should be a given as that is the start of our cruize season. It can be cold,wet and blustery in Mar however. The more I drive in the winter the more fun it is. Just turn up the Vintage Air heat and enjoy the ride. It fun to see the looks I get from the public when I pull up to the stop light with the blower scoop sticking out and the windows up.

I got to the Wed breakfast yesterday and I was the only hard core but there are 2 others attempting to conquor me.

Sat is one of the morning breakfasts too so this week will be day for the hard core guys I think. There are 3 of us now and I'm 2 days ahead of them. I also have a short photo shoot planned. It is supposed to be nice but cold.

The Detroit Locker works great in the snow too. I'm really happy with it.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's 34 here at 7:00 am, and supposed to get to 48. Still sanding on the car and still finding more tiny place that need fill. Amazing how this stuff shwed up when I opened the canopy yesterday and the ambient sunlight really illuminated the shop!

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's close to 40 today. I'm going crizing a few minutes. Gotta get my Jan miles in. haha

Hey you guys doing body work in the winter, be careful as the bondo does shrink some and curing is slowed as the temp drops. We have a car in the shop that was done in a cold shop that looks like the bullet holes have surounds around them where the bondo has shrunk. You can even see the sand marks that are filled in ...looks like crap...matches the car however. .. haha

Gas is down too $3.15. for 87. the cold allows 87 very nicely with the blower too. screech..zzzooommmm, ..screech, zzzooommm, screech......hahah

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's close to 40 today. I'm going crizing a few minutes. Gotta get my Jan miles in. haha

Hey you guys doing body work in the winter, be careful as the bondo does shrink some and curing is slowed as the temp drops. We have a car in the shop that was done in a cold shop that looks like the bullet holes have surounds around them where the bondo has shrunk. You can even see the sand marks that are filled in ...looks like crap...matches the car however. .. haha

Gas is down too $3.15. for 87. the cold allows 87 very nicely with the blower too. screech..zzzooommmm, ..screech, zzzooommm, screech......hahah
Thanks Bentwings! I run a propane space heater in the shop while doing paint or bondo work. It's warm enough that I have to take my coat off and work in a T shirt when the heater is running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts