Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that a class that I have been racing in for 8 seasons has been cancelled for the 2015 season. The Hemi bracket/Modern Mopar class ( Etown)has seen a reduction in numbers the past few years but I didn't expect it to go away so soon. We had a modern hemi class with the NMCA for 5 seasons / that was eliminated in 2014. Unfortunately the Modern Hemi doesn't have the following or aftermarket support the LS and Coyote do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's a bummer. Hopefully, there is another class that you can fit smoothly into.

I have noticed the same thing with the lacking aftermarket support for the Hemi engine when compared to the LS and Coyote motors. Personally, I wouldn't mind doing something different, but the lack of aftermarket support doesn't make it easy. Although, I suppose if there was a big aftermarket following, it wouldn't be "doing something different".

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I haven't followed modern drag racing classes. Does the track also have a special class for LS and Coyote powered cars? I personally find it odd that any track would have a special class for a certain brand of engine. Sure never saw a SBC, SBF, or SBM class in years past.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I think with the stringent noise restrictions they face they were probably targeting the popular late model muffled performance classes. One of the reasons I didn't bring the coupe to a national speedway reunion. Mufflers on Saturday were a must. So trailer my car 150 miles over 2 bridges and tolls up the kazoo. Just not worth it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't followed modern drag racing classes. Does the track also have a special class for LS and Coyote powered cars? I personally find it odd that any track would have a special class for a certain brand of engine. Sure never saw a SBC, SBF, or SBM class in years past.
The Saturday points classes were divided as the Impala club, Corvette challenge, Hemi bracket, Modern Muscle class, etc. Over the years they have changed my class from the Modern Mopar class (any modern rear drive vehicle 6,8,10cyl) to a specific Hemi only bracket. It had to be originally equipped or had the option to be equipped/then swapped over with a Gen 3 Hemi.The NMCA class was a specific Hemi bracket/index and they now do have specific LS classes and races.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Our local track at PIR does not have any big NHRA events, as they have a stupid rule that all cars must run mufflers of a certain minimum size. Because of this rule they don't run any weekend drag races at all. All the big time events don't run mufflers, so PIR has been neutered from any good racing. Just Wed. night, and some high school Fri. night stuff.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's hard to believe the popularity of some of these new engines have created race classes all their own. We have race classes that include both mufflers and not on the cars. Most of our "street" classes require mufflers, but the majority do not require them. Although, it is an NHRA track. There are no classes that my car fits into at that track though. I can run in the King Street class, or the Stick Shift class, because they don't have a nostalgia class. The problem with these classes, are the purpose built bracket cars that I have little to no chance at being competitive with.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm looking at possibly running in a Sunoco Points Series class at Atco with the Charger. Either Street ET or Pro ET class /bracket. From what I read the car will fit into both of the classes.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Never heard this kind of stuff was going on at any dragstrips. Guess I have been living a sheltered drag racing life. For quite a few years we have only been going to nostalgia racing events. Over the years what has happened is little by little I have tired of weekly drag racing events. So my preference to attend nostalgia/gasser has me staying at home more so than ever before.

Fortunately there are plenty of nostalgia/gasser events to keep us busy during the racing season. All of which turn the weeks in between events into free time I'd rather use working on the car. Seems like the older I get I somehow feel like I have less "free time" than ever before. Guess my need for frequent trips to the drag strip have changed. Having a specialized type of car surely has changed me.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I hate bracket racing. Period. I know to some it has leveled the playing field and made those with less money in their cars able to compete with the high dollar cars. But I just hate seeing two cars being started at different times, or with different dial ins, and seeing them hitting the brakes to keep from breaking out, or not giving it everything the car has.
Like John, I'm a big fan of nostalgia drag racing. Old fashion heads up racing, and run what you brung. Yes, there's some guys who run a lot faster than others, but anyone can go and have fun, win or lose. My first nostalgia event I ended up by chance getting staged against a much faster car every run. I think I might have won one race all day. But I was having so much fun I just turned around, and jumped right back into the staging lanes, so I could make another pass!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
What 1946Austin you don't like Sand Bagers and Cheaters whats this world coming to, I hope they dont do the muffler thing here at Pacific Race Way in Wa.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts