Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stopped by a little car show at our neighborhood bowling alley and ran across this guy.... 1950 chevy with a 455 buick stuffed in there.

Now I know what a real example is instead of that POS I was looking at.

I got a ton of pictures of his front set up. He had a speedway kit with wildwood brakes. I also grabbed his phone number and he said I was more than welcome to come take measurements and what not when I get close to putting mine together. I am still looking for the right car, but was excited to see this one.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That is great. It puts a lot of questions to rest for you. Probably presents you with a lot more questions you didn't even know you had, LOL. There's a guy somewhere near here that has a fastback '49 Chevy like that. But he is running a built Olds 455 with a speedway axle. They do make good looking cars. I think it's Thompson Drag way or something, where a Gasser group has races all the time. They have one guy that races two black '49-'52 Chevy's. One a coupe and one a fastback. They are serious race cars, but really nice. His name is Gene Schwartz and this is his coupe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYR4wGk2oj4

It's a '52.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4ZQMaMTQI

Mark L

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Looks like he's running a remote radiator with the fill tank on the firewall! Looks like a good car to get ideas for your build!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I see a lower radiator hose that probably goes forward to a radiator. Looks like he just mounted the fill tank up high on the firewall. But looking again. The top return hose does go down and looks like it may tuck under and possibly run rearward. HMM. Wished I knew more about the car. Mark L

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, he has a radiator up front but uses that small tank as his filler for some reason. He specifically mentioned it took them a while to figure the cooling system out,, not sure what he meant, but looked awfully complicated to me. He also has some questionable brackets holding the radiator to the support, but it seemed to work.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I got lost trying to follow all the hoses and splices. Not sure what all he's got going there, or why some of it was done. Since you saw he has a front radiator, I'd guess the fill tank on the firewall was designed to get it to the highest point to eliminate air bubbles. The radiator must be a very low crossflow with hoses going down from the engine. Not sure what the taped up hose thing is below the fill tank?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Here's the pics I mentioned in another thread.

Its for sale :),,( in San Diego) but I get the impression your going to build yours anyway?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Here's some more "inspiration"

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The Schwartz cars are really top notch stuff. Still running manual transmissions too. Mark L

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love the look of the yellow one leaving the line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts