Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury station wagon. Late 1960's to late 1970's, four or two door, color is open, running, driving vehicle. Not to race, but as a push vehicle.

Thanks,

Vince

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Here's another:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4159953202.html

The car is a 1971 Mercury Monterey Wagon with a 429 4V big block motor. It has approximately 123K miles, is all original and been in my family since new. This is a rare model with the most powerful engine available (360hp!) and several nice options like A/C and turning lamps.

It was originally purchased in Wenatchee Washington by my grandfather, and given to me about 10 years ago because he stopped driving. Overall condition is decent, with typical wear and tear that a 40+ year old family car would have. It sat outside in eastern Washington most of it's life (high desert environment), so rust is not a big issue, but sun damage is apparent. For the last 10 years, it's been garaged in Oregon.

Exterior:
Overall the body and trim are complete and in good shape. Paint is heavily oxidized but mostly intact. There are some sections where the paint has flaked off and has some surface rust, but nothing major. It has never been in a serious accident, however it was sideswiped lightly at some point and the drivers door was repainted. The door paint is not as oxidized, so it's pretty obvious. It also has some minor rust starting to bubble the paint on the lower part near the rear drivers side wheel-well. Bumpers and trim are good, there is some light rust on the chrome in a few places, and the rear bumper has a dimple courtesy of grandma and a parking lot pole (according to grandpa). Glass is all good.

Interior:
Complete and ok, front seat bottom needs to be reupholstered and dashboard is cracked pretty good. Carpets are ok, but have normal wear and tear, as does most of the interior hard plastics. Dome light cover is gone. Headliner is good, as is the rear seat. Car does not have third row "flip-up" seats. The rear power window will not go down, but you can hear the motor turning, so I suspect the motor gear drive is shot. I checked and these units are still readily available for reasonable cost.
Air conditioning does not hold a charge, when I got the car, I had it charged and it worked for about a week before leaking out. For the price of R12, I decided, it needed a good reseal before I tried again.

Drivetrain:
Motor runs well, although last time I checked, two cylinders were a bit low on compression, around 85psi. The car will smoke a bit when warmed up, so I suspect rings. The car generally drives well, however the carb has a pretty good off-idle flat spot, and could probably use a rebuild. Trans works good, no issues but does have a small leak. The motor and trans has never had any significant work and never been out of the car. I try to drive the car on a regular basis to keep it limber, and I've even done some fairly long road trips with no issues.

Mechanicals:
Shocks are pretty well shot, but the rest of the suspension seems ok, no funny noises and the car tracks well. Brakes are fine. Tires are brand new, less than 100 miles.

Asking $2500

It's not that far to drive up with a bud on a road trip. Nice shape and you could drive it home, if there are enough gas stations between here and there... :D

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My budget is low and I'd rather not spend more on the trip then the car. But that one is really nice. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting a wagon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts