Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've accumulated a bunch of parts in the hopes of beginning some sort of Gasser-style hot rod over the next year or more (or MORE.) Have an odd body that will work well, a chassis, a set of potential wheels, and a decent narrowed rear end. My biggest question right now is would a classic VW Beetle front beam hold up to a Ford 289 engine weight? I've seen an old image or two of an Austin Healey Sprite Gasser with a Beetle front beam and a 348 engine installed, seems to have been around for years and successfully campaigned as well.

Wondering, as I have a really sound VW beam with reinforced shock towers (made for off-road) that I would like to use if at all possible. Maybe not entirely the look of a tried and true straight axle but sort of in way. Almost thinking that I could paint the upper beam black to hide it and paint the lower one and towers in a nice Hammerite gray to feature it prominently. Give the illusion of a straight axle from a distance . . . in a way . . . kinda.

Thanks—

T

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Hi all, I've accumulated a bunch of parts in the hopes of beginning some sort of Gasser-style hot rod over the next year or more (or MORE.) Have an odd body that will work well, a chassis, a set of potential wheels, and a decent narrowed rear end. My biggest question right now is would a classic VW Beetle front beam hold up to a Ford 289 engine weight? I've seen an old image or two of an Austin Healey Sprite Gasser with a Beetle front beam and a 348 engine installed, seems to have been around for years and successfully campaigned as well.

Wondering, as I have a really sound VW beam with reinforced shock towers (made for off-road) that I would like to use if at all possible. Maybe not entirely the look of a tried and true straight axle but sort of in way. Almost thinking that I could paint the upper beam black to hide it and paint the lower one and towers in a nice Hammerite gray to feature it prominently. Give the illusion of a straight axle from a distance . . . in a way . . . kinda.

Thanks—

T
Not sure how it might hold up, but they look sturdy. If you want my opinion I'd never use one as they look weird on anything butt a VW. Just way too much going on with the parallel tubes, and all the other parts. Plus you'd have to convert the bolt pattern to something smaller in 5 bolt. Almost any truck or van I beam would be better, and they're still cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm hoping to make use of it for the same reasons, width, availability, and cost. I already have one, I have the front section from the original pan to mount it, it's been rebuilt/strengthened for the off-road, has a disk brake upgrade, and the rotors have been re-drilled for the early Mustang four lug pattern. Seems like a really good low cost option for what I hope to build. The car will be a '58 Fiat 600 body on an MGA frame, 289 with a c4 automatic, Shouldn't weigh much of anything so weight savings won't be an issue. i HOPE, that is . . .

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
So what do you think Mario, a best 2 out of 3 match race?
Sorry Steve I didn’t see this post. If I could get 14” slicks Id say 3 for 3 me. That MG has potential. love that little bug eye. Triple carb 283 won’t stand a chance. 🤣

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I'm hoping to make use of it for the same reasons, width, availability, and cost. I already have one, I have the front section from the original pan to mount it, it's been rebuilt/strengthened for the off-road, has a disk brake upgrade, and the rotors have been re-drilled for the early Mustang four lug pattern. Seems like a really good low cost option for what I hope to build. The car will be a '58 Fiat 600 body on an MGA frame, 289 with a c4 automatic, Shouldn't weigh much of anything so weight savings won't be an issue. i HOPE, that is . . .
Now that’s cool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sorry Steve I didn’t see this post. If I could get 14” slicks Id say 3 for 3 me. That MG has potential. love that little bug eye. Triple carb 283 won’t stand a chance. 🤣
The engine is a 348 . . . big-assed torque monster ! Even so, not sure if it would stand up to a modern big block, but it would sure look sweet trying to . . . the over-all look and battle scarred patina on that Bug Eye is perfection !

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
The engine is a 348 . . . big-assed torque monster ! Even so, not sure if it would stand up to a modern big block, but it would sure look sweet trying to . . . the over-all look and battle scarred patina on that Bug Eye is perfection !
I was guessing on the small block. Lol you blew my cover. I have the small block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts