Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my MGA project, I'm sort of shooting for the look of the cars that competed in the NHRA Sports Car Classes. Kind of a Gasser over-all but with open cockpit, I've noticed that most of the current Gasser associations require a closed car to qualify/race/participate. The MGA wouldn't qualify as a period correct Gasser, but hopefully could be mistaken for something from the old Sports Car Classes.

I want to back-date the Ford 5.0 engine to appear as a 289 of the period. I know that the valve covers, intake, carb, air cleaner, dip stick, and water pump need to be changed out and have already started on these items and located some old long-tube headers from a Comet as well. These, of course, will be painted white.

I've been looking on the internet at photos of the 289 engines in stock form, but these pics are usually small and of amateur quality, I'm wondering if anyone familiar with the Windsor engine might be able to add to my list of what will need to be changed/altered/modified in order to help with the masquerade.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Are you going to run a charging system? brackets and system would be different, external reg, depending on what year your shooting for is it a roller motor your running? if not then distributor, you pretty much have it covered as far as looking like the older 289 http://s191.photobucket.com/user/95gatl/media/stangengine.jpg.html

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the brackets, pulleys, and such from an original 289 to try to alter for the 5.0. I don't know if the 289 had an alternator, but I'm running one on it painted and stickered to look like one from a 390 with an external Motorcraft regulator. I have a GM one-wire alternator as a back up, but the wiring diagram for the Motorcraft w/regulator doesn't look to hard to work with. It's a roller motor, I have an original '67 289 distributor for it and changed the drive gear to match the engine.

I've been trying to find out what water pump will fit the 5.0 timing cover and also rotate clockwise so that I can use the v-belt pulleys. No luck, but there's gotta be some info out there somewhere.

The idea is that I'd really like the engine to look like it was fresh pulled out of a stock Mustang or even better, a stoggy old Fairlane, and just stuffed into the MGA as-is, except for the long tube headers which I just HAVE to have ! I've been making decals on the computer for the valve covers and air cleaner, some close to originals, others that just look like the would belong. I know that the original valve covers were simple stamped steel, but the stamped "Powered by Ford" covers just looked WAY more vintage and appropriate for the engine that I HAD to go for a pair.

A back-date for sure, a semi-accurate one even, but maybe more of a masquerade than an actual replication.

As long as the illusion holds up, I'll be satisfied and it adds an extra layer of fun to the whole thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts