Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To my fellow veterans, have a great day and if possible enjoy some of the free meals being offered us. I myself enjoy going to my local California Pizza Kitchen for their Kung Pao Chicken Spaghetti which I'll be partaking of in about an hour and then come home and get something done on my cars.
I can't believe it's been 49 years ago that I was drafted; where'd the fucking time go...................

Yellow Rectangle Triangle Font Symbol
1969-1971 11Bravo HOOAH!!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As I

head off to bed I'm thinking about tomorrow, Veterans Day and friends I've lost. I watched a couple great documentaries today about the wars we've been involved in, none of which piss me off as much as Viet Nam and how the politicians haven't learned a damned thing. Love him or hate him I applaud Trump for keeping his word about ending our invovement in endless wars and pulling our troops out of these shit hole countries.
Anyway, to my fellow veterans enjoy our day and remember our brothers and sisters who aren't with us to enjoy their day.

Yellow Rectangle Triangle Font Symbol

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
USAF 1969-75 here. Happy Veteran's Day to all my fellow veterans!
We're heading out to lunch with our daughters and our youngest daughter's granddaughter who turns 14 today! Her dad is career Navy and is tied up doing Veteran's Day ceremonies on his day off. He's got 23 years in, and is getting out next June, we hope! Unless they offer him a buttload of money again, and he reenlists.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A tough

decision to make. What to take to my Veterans Day lunch; the 53, the Willys or the bike. It's T-shirt weather here so I opted for the bike. Great ride along PCH with the sun shimmering off the Pacific; sometimes (although it seems less and less often) life is good.

Glasses Chin Sky Vision care Goggles
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Product Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Veterans Day 2020

I hope all my fellow vets are doing well and are safe this Veterans Day. I'm heading off to Chilis for my free lunch and and hope the rest are doing the same. This year I've got a new T-shirt to wear.

Jersey Sleeve Textile Sportswear Grey

Font Rectangle Triangle Star Technology

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey Lash

"I love to go swimmin with bow legged women and swim between their legs."

Vall, when I moved here in 1988 no one flew an American Flag on my street, even my neighbor across the street who's a Marine veteran. One of the first things I did was put up my flag from my previous home and there's been since with the required light at night. To this date I think there are more people flying flags on my street than any other in the city. I think a lot has to do with the schools no longer teaching about patriotism.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Army vet here. I always fly a flag and keep it lit too. We have a few in the area that do this in the neighborhood. One of them either did not light the flag at night or the light was not working this last week and it caused quite a ruckus there for a while. I believe things are OK now because I have not heard anything the last few days.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To my fellow veterans, have a great day and if possible enjoy some of the free meals being offered us. I myself enjoy going to my local California Pizza Kitchen for their Kung Pao Chicken Spaghetti which I'll be partaking of in about an hour and then come home and get something done on my cars.
I can't believe it's been 49 years ago that I was drafted; where'd the fucking time go...................

View attachment 101659 1969-1971 11Bravo HOOAH!!
Another year has passed and what a shame 13 of our best were recently killed because of our useless, feckless and coward of a president/commander-in-chief. But I digress. I hope my fellow veterans here are healthy, happy and well.

View attachment 101659 1969-1971 11Bravo HOOAH!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Have a very happy, healthy and safe Veterans Day. I also was drafted. N I agree with u Steve on the coward of our leadership. hope this guy gets impeach and the other guy gets court-martial. have a great day guys.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here we are again and after you read the article I'm posting you'll realize that we are worse off this year than last because of again the worthless, feckless, coward that is the current commander in chief. So, before you read the article and any of my fellow veterans get as pissed as I am I want to wish you all a good Veterans Day.

Spec 4, proud 11B veteran, 1969-1971, HOOAH!!

Read the following and weep! We are fucked.
According to a new report by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank that has been in operation for half a century, the U.S. military is headed in the wrong direction. With each passing year, the military appears to be getting weaker. At the same time, Russia and China are behaving more aggressively; the latter, according to the report, possesses “formidable” capabilities.

In short, things don’t look good for the United States.

The Heritage Foundation’s findings echo those of a recent Army Times report outlining the many ways in which recruiters are struggling to find enough young Americans capable of serving their country. Authored by Todd South, the report shows that the service has witnessed a 13 percent drop in aptitude scores. To make matters worse, “70 percent of potential recruits interested in Army service are disqualified in the first 48 hours.” Why?

There are three reasons: poor test scores, obesity, and drug use.

The importance of having an Army of strong, healthy individuals really can’t be emphasized enough. The security and stability of the United States rely on the recruitment of qualified individuals.

In July, Epoch Times writer Mimi Nguyen Ly reported that the U.S. Army is facing a number of “unprecedented challenges,” which include struggling to recruit new members, as well as training and retaining them. Because of these rather significant struggles, the Army “is likely to significantly fall short of its target number of troops,” Ly wrote.

How short? Seven thousand short, to be exact.

In 2023, the Army is projecting a considerably higher shortfall, Ly reported.

To understand why, let’s discuss the aforementioned poor test scores, obesity, and drug use.

If you’re in the market for a sobering read, why not take a look at the United States’ most recent national test results? That should hit the desired spot. Scores for elementary school students in basic reading skills are at their lowest point since the 1980s. Math scores, meanwhile, are at their lowest point in five decades. The United States prides itself on having some of the finest educational establishments in the world—and rightly so.

Nevertheless, it now finds itself being overtaken by a number of its first-world peers. The writing is on the wall; sadly, fewer Americans can actually read it.

Then, there’s the matter of obesity. To join the Army, an individual must be at least 17 years old and in reasonable shape. As you are no doubt aware, millions of American teens are desperately out of shape. Since the early 1990s, “the prevalence of childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and tripled in adolescents,” according to an interesting paper published in Global Pediatric Health.

Researchers at Harvard’s School of Public Health estimate that 40 percent of U.S. adults and 20 percent of adolescents are clinically obese. By the end of the decade, 51 percent of the U.S. population will be obese. Not only are more Americans struggling to read and write; they’re struggling to breathe and engage in basic movements.

Finally, let’s focus on the increase in drug use. The Addiction Center, a site that helps those struggling with addiction, argues rather convincingly that members of Generation Z, otherwise referred to as zoomers, run a higher risk of developing substance abuse issues than members of previous generations. It’s easy to see why. Born between 1997 and 2012, millions of zoomers enjoy nothing more than smoking cannabis.

To be clear, this isn’t the cannabis of the 1960s and ’70s. As I have written before, today’s weed is incredibly potent. Members of Gen Z are the first generations to choose a powerful “blunt” over an alcoholic beverage.

What, if anything, can be done to put things right?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I am happy that Veterans day is observed as an occasion to honor veterans and not just another day off from work. Having been in during the Vietnam conflict and having gone through the BS that we had to put up with upon returning home, I am grateful for the honors that the veterans that followed have and are receiving. I am a 22 year Navy vet, and proud to be a battleship sailor!

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Same here Mike. As an Air Force veteran during the Vietnam war I was shocked to come home on my first leave and see the reactions from people to anyone who wore a uniform. There you were thinking how proud you were to be wearing a uniform, and having people treat you with disdain, and worse.
It's nice to see the attitude change today, but it doesn't wipe out the memories of how military folks were treated back then.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, we didn't exactly get warm and fuzzy "welcome home" much. When I came home we flew into and separated at Ft. Lewis, WA. After processing out and collecting our pay we got on the bus that took all of us to Sea/Tac airport. You had to be in uniform to fly military standby so I stayed in uniform until the flight took off and then changed into the civies I brought on board. Walking through LAX in civies when I got home was much different than walking through Sea/Tac in uniform; glad those days are behind me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts