Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm passing this info along, so people are aware of how messed up USPS shipping is, and what a frustrating experience it can be if and when things go sideways.
I've shipped a number of items (many of them antique guns) via USPS in the past. Occasionally had small issues, but overall I was pleased with the way it went. Then on Sept. 1st I sold an expensive item to a friend in Montana, and took it to USPS to be delivered. Packed it up as usual with plenty of padding, and pieces disassembled to make it as small as possible, and sent it off Priority Mail, insured. Supposed to be there in 4 days, but on the 5th day I checked tracking and it said, "Arriving late, still in transit". And that's the same thing it said for 3 weeks!
After trying to find out where the package was, and getting no answers, I filed a claim with USPS. They in turn denied my claim stating they'd send a letter of explanation why it was denied. Guess that letter is somewhere with the gun, because 3 weeks later I still didn't have it! I attempted to file an appeal, but the system wont allow that unless you know why the claim was denied! So I called customer service and the lady there tried to figure out where my package was, but couldn't. She tried to figure out why my claim was denied, but couldn't. I had sent them copies of our emails back and forth. Pictures of the item, more emails showing I received the check, and replies telling him the tracking number. All correspondence done via emails and captured those email pages and added them to my claim.
I finally contacted the office of my congressman, and an aide sent me an email the next day asking for the tracking number. He contacted me and said USPS denied the claim because I needed to attach a credit card payment, sales receipt, or both sides of a canceled check. So I filed the appeal, and got copies of the canceled check, and attached them to the appeal. A week or so later I got a letter stating my claim appeal was denied again! I went to the USPS web site, and the site said my claim was approved?
So after almost 2 months it appears they may be paying my claim, but still not positive? And they for whatever reason shorted me on my shipping cost in the payment? They gave me the amount of the rifle, but of course deducted the insurance fee. But for some reason they also didn't pay the $15 oversized package fee too? I understand the insurance, but the shipping and oversized fee should have been refunded.
I of course haven't seen a check yet, and if it's really coming, it may be several weeks, IF they don't lose it in the mail! Only sure thing is it's been a frustrating, and impossible issue dealing with USPS, and I wont ever ship anything valuable through them again. They do whatever they can to deny your claim and frustrate you in hopes you'll give up. And they make it impossible to talk to anyone! Even my local post office postmaster wont answer his phone, and trips to the local station only resulted in USPS employees telling me to go home and file online.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Holy crap! I usually never deal with USPS because of stories like this. I always ship UPS. never had an issue. I hope you get your money back!

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy crap! I usually never deal with USPS because of stories like this. I always ship UPS. never had an issue. I hope you get your money back!
I ship a fair amount, and have had major issues with USPS, UPS, and FedEx. All of them have lost or stolen items, but fortunately with UPS and FedEx the loss or damage was items coming to me, so others had to deal with them. I did send two antique rifles via FedEx to the other side of the US, and packed in wooden crates to protect them. But some idiot at FedEx deliberately damaged the boxes, and both rifles were damaged on arrival. The buyer told me there were black boot prints on both boxes from someone standing, or stomping on the boxes. The boxes protected them, and the buyer said he wasn't going to waste his time with a claim as he could fix the scratches himself.
In this case with the total loss, or theft, there's nothing left to fix.
I had a small $90 item I sold to a guy in the East that disappeared with USPS many years ago. Back then it was easier, and once I filed the claim I had a check instantly, and less than a week afterwards. Funny thing was the package came back to me a year later, and was marked as "nobody at this address". I called the buyer and asked if he still wanted it, and he paid for me to send it UPS to his work at the police station where he was assigned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to the world of dealing with the USPS. Some years back I bought a few dozen of the 50's small size car magazines off Ebay & the seller shipped them USPS. I live in a rural area & there is a community big metal sectioned mailbox -each person has their own small box. Then there are the oversize boxes for when someone gets something big. The mail carrier puts your package in a big box & the key to open it in your small box. fast forward; My package showed it was delivered but I never got it. The mail carrier must have put the key into someone else's box & they kept my package. I went round & round with the USPS & they were stuck on telling me "it shows here that it was delivered" I got angry & said yes it was delivered to someone - but not to me! (you can't reason with those idiots). fast forward; my credit card company gave me a credit. They were able to comprehend what I explained to them.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the world of dealing with the USPS. Some years back I bought a few dozen of the 50's small size car magazines off Ebay & the seller shipped them USPS. I live in a rural area & there is a community big metal sectioned mailbox -each person has their own small box. Then there are the oversize boxes for when someone gets something big. The mail carrier puts your package in a big box & the key to open it in your small box. fast forward; My package showed it was delivered but I never got it. The mail carrier must have put the key into someone else's box & they kept my package. I went round & round with the USPS & they were stuck on telling me "it shows here that it was delivered" I got angry & said yes it was delivered to someone - but not to me! (you can't reason with those idiots). fast forward; my credit card company gave me a credit. They were able to comprehend what I explained to them.
They treat customers like you're trying to defraud them on a false claim. Like we somehow could ship a piece of scrap metal, then take out big insurance, and arrange for the package to disappear within their system? I understand people could over insure an item, and if lost or stolen get a larger amount. But their system is operated to collect insurance fees, but then do whatever they can to avoid payment when they damage or lose the items.
There is good and bad news as of yesterday. The good news is, although they sent me a letter stating my latest appeal was denied, their web site said it was still "under review". Then late last week the site said approved, and a couple days later it said it was paid! Yesterday I received a check for the insured amount, plus shipping. But for some unknown reason they shorted me the $15 they charged me for an "oversized package fee". They of course also kept the insurance fee, which I do understand, as can't provide insurance, and then refund it if they pay the insurance claim.
At this point I'll take my loss of the oversized fee, and just accept what I got.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts