Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a 52 Willys aero that is for sale and I saw a few build ups on line where a fully frame was constructed for a gasser build. I was wondering since it is a unibody has anyone tried to adapt one of the straight axle subframe kits (for a chevy II) to another unibody structured vehicle?

The floors and body were relatively solid on the 52 that is for sale and I was thinking that it may be possible to use the subframe instead of cutting the car up.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Like Henry Js, I didn't think there was a Willys Aero with a solid floor pan. You might be able to do like Val ('46 Austin) did with his Falcon. Look thru his build thread.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My Opel Kadett was a 100% unibody design. Not any bolts anywhere. Never found any anywhere. Did find some hefty rivets in the area of the rear end. IT was a bear to get the body off.

The previous owners added what amounted to a subframe connector which ran from the front part of the engine compartment unibody back to the rear of the car. It attached to what I refer to a strengthened rocker panels (part of the unibody design) with 2 x 3's all the way to the rear beam that held the rear end in place & strengthened that area. I had planned to add a Competition Engineering back half frame rails which would have extended the frame all the way from the front to the rear with 2 x 3 tubing. Not ONE solid piece by a full frame none the less.

After finding the frame rails, etc I started to make the changes.

Then right in the "middle" of getting started doing that as many of you know..... I had a formerly NHRA/IHRA "tube chassis" given to me for practically NOTHING ($250).

So my plans DRAMATICALLY changed..... No more unibody/sub frame...... HELLO a real deal TUBE CHASSIS.

I then took the entire body off of the make-shift frame basically leaving only the reinforced rocker panels. So here I am .....with an Opel Kadett 2 door station wagon body READY to put on a tube chassis (originally built for a Vega Station Wagon).

Then ANOTHER gift from "Hot Rod Heaven" happened..... I LUCKED into making a great deal on a former C/G - E/A OPEL GT body. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. This body is the REAL DEAL ..... Was campaigned in the 70's in the Buffalo, NY area.

Sadly, the body of the Kadett HAD to GO!!!!!! After all that work....so basically all I have left of the Opel Kadett Station Wagon that I traded my G-Body El Camino for is a Turbo 350 tranny. I posted the Kadett body on Craig's list for next to nothing & never got one call. So it went to the same place all of the make-shift frame & suspension went to.... The recycling center.... Aka Junk Yard!!!!!

W o W ...... Talk about a "roller coaster" ride!!!!!! Hard to believe ALL of this stuff happened since I got the Kadett.

Also hard to believe a "real deal" piece of gasser history is sitting in my garage "waiting" to be put on a "real deal" drag car tube chassis.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Once you determine the width of the unibody frame, material can be chosen that can be welded to the bottom of the frame. As Gary mentioned, I did this to my Falcon to make it stronger for the straight axle and BBC I put in the Falcon. I made relief cuts 1" apart to allow the donor metal to contour to the shape of the frame. Then once it was tack welded in place I went back and full length welded, and closed the relief cuts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the info. I'll definitely be able to use it. I got some better pics of the Willys and I decided to pass on it. Rust was showing back up through previous repairs / lots of filler, not prepped well before paint. So the search continues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey i know were a real tube chassis is with weelie bars narrowed 4 link nine inch disck brake rack and pinion ifs with seats gauges fuel cell weld wheels 12 inch slicks and a powerglide for 800 bucks has 77 monza body on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts