Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, really like the idea of running an 700 R-4 in my 62 Nova gasser Outwardly it looks like a fairly simple swap replacing my Turbo 350.

Has any one done it on a Nova? The Turbo 350 is 27 11/16" long and the R-4 30 3/4".

If I can slide the transmission cross member back a little and cut like 3"s off the drive shaft will that be good? I had thought of the width of the R-4, I would guess there is room.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
They are a bit bigger around farther back. Have you purchased it yet? 200-4rs are the same length as your t350 and can be built to handle the power and torque for about the same price as a 700r4. Had one in my '55 and loved it. Either way you need to make a new crossmember.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are a bit bigger around farther back. Have you purchased it yet? 200-4rs are the same length as your t350 and can be built to handle the power and torque for about the same price as a 700r4. Had one in my '55 and loved it. Either way you need to make a new crossmember.
Thanks. I had hoped the trans cross member could be moved back and drill new holes for it.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
You don't really need a new crossmember, but probably moving it wont make it work either. Usually reworking the existing crossmember works, and changing the mounting tab to mate to the new OD trans.
I agree with Mike about going to a 200r as it's a much simpler swap, and can handle the same power as a 700R4 if built properly. Although the 700R4 isn't a tough swap, it will also require a kit to make the lock up converter work on the open road, and disconnect when it's idling.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't really need a new crossmember, but probably moving it wont make it work either. Usually reworking the existing crossmember works, and changing the mounting tab to mate to the new OD trans.
I agree with Mike about going to a 200r as it's a much simpler swap, and can handle the same power as a 700R4 if built properly. Although the 700R4 isn't a tough swap, it will also require a kit to make the lock up converter work on the open road, and disconnect when it's idling.
Thank you Vall. I got the kit with it that uses a switch inside the car to lock and un lock the converter. But I can put it all on hold till I determine what it's going to need. I just thought the cross member would slide back a little even if I had to drill new holes.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Interesting as I was finding info on 400- 700 swap in my truck soon. Crossmember was an issue there too but someone changed the tail shaft housing and didn't need to move the crossmember if my memory serves me correctly.
Where did you get your kit from? Monster trans?

·
Registered
922 Posts
The most important part of the swap is getting the proper throttle valve linkage for your carb. Everything I've read says these trannys won't last long without it.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
100% right. That cable controls pressure as you accelerate. Won't work well without and will burn the trans too.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
No insult but my guess that the engine revs sound to high to you under normal driving, its new car for you, i would say drive it a while and enjoy it before you tear into to it. with 3:70's your not turning that hard. I know about the gas mileage thing and that your in texas there i are alot of wide open roads between towns, I am about the same age as you, and also have an 89 750 gsxr sling shot motorcycle Suzuki, I bought it new in my 40's redline is 12,000 if you shift it under 8,000 it just bogs down, (full race bike)never sounded like it was screaming usually shifting at about 10,500 at that age, then came my 50's, shifting dropped to about 9000, all thous revs sounded a little hard on it, now in may 60's well even shifting at 8000 it sounds like its going to explode but 42000 miles and it has not so age may play into your choice, just a thought, it sure is a beauty and it does NOT matter weather you built it or not, it is what you love and the pride of ownership is all that needs to be said, now that I have wind bagged my self out the 200 better choice, and really how hard are you going to beat it, I built my bike to do about 180 mph it has on seen 160 mph 2-3 times in 25 years and not since my 40's

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The most important part of the swap is getting the proper throttle valve linkage for your carb. Everything I've read says these trannys won't last long without it.
Yes sir! They call it a "TV" cable I think, and it comes with a chrome bracket to mount it. I got the 700 R-4 idea not too long ago when I was considering building a T bucket.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No insult but my guess that the engine revs sound to high to you under normal driving, its new car for you, i would say drive it a while and enjoy it before you tear into to it. with 3:70's your not turning that hard. I know about the gas mileage thing and that your in texas there i are alot of wide open roads between towns, I am about the same age as you, and also have an 89 750 gsxr sling shot motorcycle Suzuki, I bought it new in my 40's redline is 12,000 if you shift it under 8,000 it just bogs down, (full race bike)never sounded like it was screaming usually shifting at about 10,500 at that age, then came my 50's, shifting dropped to about 9000, all thous revs sounded a little hard on it, now in may 60's well even shifting at 8000 it sounds like its going to explode but 42000 miles and it has not so age may play into your choice, just a thought, it sure is a beauty and it does NOT matter weather you built it or not, it is what you love and the pride of ownership is all that needs to be said, now that I have wind bagged my self out the 200 better choice, and really how hard are you going to beat it, I built my bike to do about 180 mph it has on seen 160 mph 2-3 times in 25 years and not since my 40's
Well I am glad your out there Road Angels. I agree with you on every thing you told me, but the truth is, this is as far and as fast as I have gone in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwJuYXczYQk

And you can bet I am going to fully explore and enjoy its capabilities all the way to its 7000 rpm red line. But only at the track. Mainly I'll just be cruising the hot rod hang outs and in general just plain show off! There are some real monsters on the streets here in San Antonio,

The old school "gassers" like mine are quite an attraction every where they go. I would say most young people in the 20's or so, have no idea what a gasser was, because you had be our age to be around to see them run at the drags. I hear it all from, "what the hell is that?" to " Oh ya I saw one of those in an old magazine, it had red tinted windows, to man that's ugly! The car will be delivered as soon as I sell my Mustang, I just have a carport and the Stang is not going to be exposed to the weather.

Soon as I get fully used to what is to be an low 11 second car and one with a straight axel, I wanted the 700 R -4 with 4th gear switchable lock up converter, because the 383 stroker is about to be replaced with a new Dart 434 like this one. http://enginefactory.com/434CSB575HP.htm And its not that I plan on beating it to death, I just want it to last for a long time. And it has a 200 horse shot of nitrous should things get close! The suspension and weight transfer to the rear on the car will make it launch very hard and wheelies are normal. The ratios on the 700 R-4 are just about perfect, for the car, and the lock up converter would only be for high way use. You really cant tell, but the car is mini tubbed to keep the back seat and the rear wheel wells sculptured to match the front. Makes for easy tire changing with wide tires.

Tires will be replaced by M/T's and Cragar SS wheels all around. The car is brand new, 19.9 miles on it. I cant wait!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't know anything 1st hand but I considered a Monster 700R4. I did a internet search for reviews and found a lot of unhappy customers. I have talked to a local guy and am going to have the one I have redone that he says will hold up fine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never bought anything from Monster, but I have been in touch with them regarding this transmission. They seemed very helpful, willing, and knowledgeable. I'll look into them more.

Gary

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Ah I got a better picture now, thanks for the update on your plans! how about some of those stang pics, yea I always had people ask what the chrome bars with the little wheels where for coming out of the back of my truck where for, I would just answer..........in case I get a rear flat tire

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah I got a better picture now, thanks for the update on your plans! how about some of those stang pics, yea I always had people ask what the chrome bars with the little wheels where for coming out of the back of my truck where for, I would just answer..........in case I get a rear flat tire
You know, I have no doubt that many of those people believed you and thought it a good idea! Here is a picture of my Mustang. The 4.6 is stock inside, but has a Ford GT throttle body, and fuel pump, big injectors, Brenspeed 93 octane tune, cold air intake, 410 gears, and stainless flowmaster X pipe exhaust. 5 speed manual.

Runs low 13's easy squeaked a high 12 one time. 001.jpg

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
NICE.............. I bet with the 4:10's it hole shots good and has a good 60 ft. time one of my fav years, thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
the ratios on the 700r4 are far from perfect.....the 2004r is much better. better installation and just as strong also

the ratios in the 700r4 are far from perfect, big drop off on the 1-2 shift. the 2004r would be a better installation,shorter, and just as strong as the 700r4 if built properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts