Gasser HotRods banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a dual quad Edlebrock TR1 intake and I heard these intakes are not very street friendly. So I was thinking that they are not streetable because they have such a large plenium volume, can I use Hard Blok to fill up some of the plenium volume?

http://www.hardblok.com/

I don't have a picture of the intake because its at my Dad's house..but heres a pic I found on the internet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
TexasRatTrap: Have the same intake for my car that I bought at a swap meet. The lower section has been filled in with some type of filler to make the plenium volume less. I have not installed the intake on my engine yet so I can not tell you how it performs. On another note looked at a TR-1 at the swap meet at the Holley Hot Rod Reunion that had been modified by cutting down the top height and welding it to the bottom section. I like the filler idea better than cutting down the top.Just my 2/10s.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
There's a real problem with getting the carbs too close to the runners, and that's having them run lean on some cylinders. Consider the fact that you're running on the primaries most the time, and if you get the carbs close to the runners the runners lined up with the primaries will be sucking all the fuel, while those in line with the secondaries will get almost no fuel. You'd have to run wide open most the time to not have issues with starving the secondary ports.
The tunnel rams that have longer runners actually work better, giving more low end power. I'm running a pair of 450 Holleys on a Holley Pro Dominator and it's taken some tuning to make it run on the street, but it doesn't seem to require a bunch of tinkering now. If you set up the carbs with larger 50cc accelerator pumps, the right nozzles, and time the engine right, they will not only work, but work quite well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you set up the carbs with larger 50cc accelerator pumps, the right nozzles, and time the engine right, they will not only work, but work quite well.
So from my understanding I do not need to modify the intake, it should work fine as long as it is getting proper fuel volume to each runner....I will be running 2 Edlebrock 500cfm, do I need to do anything to these carbs. I was just worried cuz I read some bad things about this intake puddling fuel in the voids around the runners and igniting in the upper plenium blowing the top off, but I didn't understand how that could happen? Its seems to me that it would just get a real rich mixture to one of the cylinders bogging it down. Now I could see this happening with a lean back fire.. and this is where I'm on the same page with 1946Austin with the suggestion of larger accelerator pumps and the right nozzles. So I guess my question now is, do the Edlebrock 500's need to be tinkered with and will this intake work well on the street. I will be runnin' 355cid, 194 double hump heads modified with roller rockers, screw in rocker studs & push rod guides to handle the 305H cam, TH350 with 3200 stall and 390 gears.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TexasRatTrap: Have the same intake for my car that I bought at a swap meet. The lower section has been filled in with some type of filler to make the plenium volume less. I have not installed the intake on my engine yet so I can not tell you how it performs. On another note looked at a TR-1 at the swap meet at the Holley Hot Rod Reunion that had been modified by cutting down the top height and welding it to the bottom section. I like the filler idea better than cutting down the top.Just my 2/10s.
I can't wait to see how it runs with the intake modified.... keep me posted, you can PM me when you get it gonin'. Nice car BTW. Thanks,
-TRT-

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
I really don't have any experience with that particular tunnel ram. I am a big fan of Holleys on most anything, and on a tunnel ram I think they're the only way to go. Not sure if an Edelbrock can even get larger accelerator pumps. I know you can change the linkage to make them squirt a bit more fuel by moving the pump to the inner most hole on the arm, but not sure if that will be enough extra fuel to make it overcome the off idle bog or not.
The problem with most tunnelrams on the street is when you hit the throttle open quickly the air gets to the cylinders faster than the gas, so you lean out and it falls on it's face. The larger the carb, the worse this is, and the larger squirt of gas helps overcome the bog from a too lean mixture. Timing, nozzles, etc. can all be changed to help, but I think you're at a disadvantage with an Edelbrock in changing pumps, and squirters vs. a Holley.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah if I would have known better I would have bought the Holley's.... Its just I have always used Carter AFB or Edlebrock. So I have to make the Edlebrocks work till I can spring for the Holley's. Hopefully they will work without too much trouble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have no personal experiance running a tr 1 according to the old timers around here they were extremely prone to puddling .also known to explode in the right backfire conditions but then again that could be over come with alumunium studs to hold the halves together and or installing a burst panel

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
The problem was that open area in the bottom half. If the carbs ran richer than the engine demand the excess fuel settled in the bottom half and if a backfire occurred it had that fuel puddle to supply the backfire. Not a good situation in most cases, but worse if your engine popped. That's one reason that some owners filled the bottom half to eliminate the puddling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i wonder if most people welded these or if they filled them with epoxy either way seems like alot of work but worth it to make it a usable part sure is a neat looking

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Good question. I think if I was doing it I'd find some fiberglass material to fill most of it, then pour epoxy over the last inch or so. Might take less epoxy, and also save some weight. Or could epoxy in a blank aluminum plate, then fill over that with liquid epoxy to finish and seal it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts