Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheels on my daily driver truck are old chrome spokes, and they were getting pretty long in the tooth. Starting to rust between washes and pitted around the lugnuts and outter rim areas.
I decided yesterday to try some wheel paint to make them more presentable. After buying some Rustoleum wheel paint in a graphite color I took the wheels off and roughed the chrome up with a flapper disc. I spent some extra time on the rusty areas to make sure I got the pits clened out, and then wiped them down with solvent.
After they dried well I masked off the outter edge and covered the tires with butcher paper, then gave them 3-4 coats of paint. The Rustoleum wheel paint is non directional, so you can even spray upside down and it comes out!
The end result looks much better than what I had and I almost got all 4 wheels done with one can. Had to put the last couple coats on the 4th wheel from the 2nd can.
I think this paint would be a great item and color for restoring old dark centered mgs like Torque Thrusts and others that have seen better days. It covers really well, and dries in a very short time period.
Kinda gave the old wheels an updated look!

Here's a before, but can't see the rust.

·
Registered
921 Posts
A pair of 14" Raders came on the front of my Henry J that need something done to them. I was thinking Rally Wheel Argent silver, either paint or powder coat. Your wheels look good so that might be the way to go.

Blue

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Vall, you should have told me I could have powder-coated them for you... of course you would have had to dis-mount then re-mount the tires. :D

Looks good, though. In 1978 my driver was my dad's '73 Dodge Adventurer D100. It had Cragars that the chrome on the spokes was separating, so I did a similar thing. After scraping off the chrome and sanding the rest I painted the centers flat white. It looked pretty cool at the time. The truck was orange. With a canopy. And a 318. And a long bed. But hey, I was 17 and had wheels!

I'll probably end up coating my coke bottles as there are already a couple small spots on the spokes.

You are doing great with the tech tips. What's next?

Mike

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in the 70's I was ahead of the game when I had some crusty old Cragars that really needed some work. I hand sanded the centers and painted them a nice gold color. Two years later Cragar came out with gold centers on their new wheels, and I thought it was pretty funny.
OK, now don't laugh too hard; this is a pic back in the late 70's of my '71 BBC Camaro:

Mike,
I'll keep you in mind! I plan to remove some pitted chrome parts next winter and have them chrome powder coated. My winshield trim, handles, trunk hinges, etc. are all kinda rough, and I'd like to do powder coating on them.

66stratogasser,
Thanks! I've only had the Burb a bit over year, but I love it! It's my daily driver and the first "big" Suburban I've owned. I've had 4 others that were the earlier 2 dr. models, ('57, '60, '62, and '64) and didn't think I'd like one this large, but I was sure wrong.

·
Registered
699 Posts
That looks really good. It probably really changed the appearance of the truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts