Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I have been schooled buy some of the best here on the pros and cons of running the Edelbrock duel quad set up on my 383. I have an Edelbrock air gap single four barrel set up, with a Holley 750.

Plenty of cam, Edelbrock heads. My first thought when looking at the pretty endurashine intake and carbs, I thought I just had to have it, for the cool looks and for the major gain in performance.

For various reasons it appears that the "looks" is about the only improvement and in fact the duel quad set up will most likely with out a lot of trial and error testing, decrease power.

And it was explained to me and correctly so, that the fuel/air charge should be centered in the intake, rather than forward or rearward, for best operation. And I guess that's where the tuning come's in to correct it.

I had a 64 Chevy Impala SS with the console and tach and it was a 4 speed manual, running the 327 300 HP stock engine. And stock 4 barrel intake. Came across a Corvette tri power set up with three Rochesters and progressive linkage.

On my first attempt to drive it the minute the manifold was installed, it fired up normally, and sounded perfect. And since this was my first multiple carbureted engine, I decided to see what would happen if I just gassed it off the line. I figured it would choke out.

I figured wrong. OMG!! I had not driven anything that would slide all over the road when you punched it and I was on our street. But back then nobody lived near us we were on the edge of town.

I guess where I'm going is, the old, completely stock 327 and the old stock, intake and carbs felt like they were made for each other. I could run almost 80 on the center carb and got decent mileage. And you could feel the point of the front and rear carbs opening in the gas pedal. And when they did, there was no mistaking they were working just fine.

So what do you all think of this ? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csum1903/overview/ My un educated concern is this.. " Notes:
Carburetors do not have a provision to connect an automatic transmission kickdown cable or linkage"

Does this equate into running only a manual transmission? I would not mind a bit down shifting my self but I have this "grey area" in my mind that this has something to with the "TV cable". Up till a couple weeks ago, " TV cable" was what went from my satellite dish to my TV set. But I know now that with out a proper set up my transmission will be toast. Is the kick down cable part of the TV set up? I wish I could explain better.

I know I suck at being concise and to the point, I just don't have any way to be that in my head. My apologies.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
You would need to make brackets to hook a TV cable up to the center carb and a custom length TV cable may be, as well as make a attachment for the cable to throttle plate arm on the center carb, support and cable outer housing shielding bracket could be a bracket made to mount on the rear carb mounting studs like the old cable type throttles, or if there is a cast boss on the manifold that also may be the way to go................just remember you have to chrome plate the brackets cause ugly shit aint cool on that ride

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks my friend. And Happy Fathers Day! I read every word in your post. But since the whole TV cable thing is only a couple weeks along in my mind, I don't have a good grip on it. I do understand it controls the pump pressure according to throttle inputs. I believe it controls shift points as well. I don't have your vision for what needs doing to make this set up work out. The entire "custom bracket discussion" flew over my head! But for the mandatory chrome parts I'm with you all the way.

I mean I know where your coming from, but not how to get there. I shot this subject matter to Summit Racing technical department a bit ago. Could be they have the necessary brackets and TV cable to make my day. My tiny spec of a brain is telling me though the Summit tri power is expensive, it certainly has the cool factor going on. Maybe more than two fours. And there is the part about it running on the center Holley which I think is a 350 CFM, the outboards 300. 90 % of all driving will be on the center carb only. And its centered on the intake and should be spread out evenly fuel/air wise.

I'm kind of hoping this set up would actually improve performance as well as look cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts