Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled on this forum yesterday. I was doing a google search on axles for a gasser project and found information here about using a Jeep two wheel drive front axle which I found interesting. My friends and I have and are in the process of building several tri-five Chevy gassers. We call our shop, Norm's Speed Shop which is my buddies driveway. We are not in business but have fun with all of our own projects. Here are some pictures of our projects.

This is Kevin's '55 that we built the frame on here in Northern California. He hauled the frame back to Colorado and assembled the car.

Here is a link to our build of the frame. It took us three full days to build it using a Speedway kit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/five_wide_club/sets/72157602989709309/

Here is a picture of Norm's '55 Nomad. He is also using a Speedway kit. He cut it in half and widened it several inches. It was before they gave you an option of ordering the width you want.

The car isn't finished yet but it is so close. He just has to many projects that have come first.

Here is the link to the build photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/five_wide_club/sets/72157600840048957/

This is Anthony's '55 two door wagon. He is Norm's 17 year old nephew. He has done much of the work on it himself. It's been a great learning experience for him. He has done a lot of the welding on the car other than the structural welds. He has learned how to narrow a Ford nine inch. The car now has a 454 installed and running with a Saginaw four speed. It also has a Speedway axle kit.

Here is the pictures of his build so far. http://www.flickr.com/photos/five_wide_club/sets/72157613029965943/

Ok it's time for my car. I have a '56 Chevy that I bought right out of high school. I've had it for over thirty years. It's a fun driver the way it sits but I'm kind of ready for it to be a gasser. It currently is sitting on a '82 Chevy Impala chassis with a 350/turbo 350 combo. I it onto this chassis over twenty years ago before all the disk brake power steering options came out. I'm looking a using the Jeep front axle on it. A Cadillac 500 engine and eventually a four speed. I have already picked up a '55 Chevy frame to put back under it.

Here is Norm's other '55 Chevy. He has owned it since he was 16. So that tells you how long he's had it. He just installed a Chevy crate 572 in it. It has the original frame that's been stubbed with a Camaro front suspension. He just radius-ed the rear wheel wells. He's planning on changing the front suspension to a gasser soon.

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few videos that some of you may have already seen of our cars.

This is Kevin's car just before he painted it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO0BzHmIjb4&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL2FFB8134B97B940F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2HmdpO3Kw

Here's a video of Norm's tilt front end. He designed it himself and it works great. He doesn't sell plans or a kit for it. Sorry just too much work and not enough time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqjZuOVUzOI

Here is one on his build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqfGGBNNA4

Ok this one isn't a video on gassers. It's Norm and my ratrod pickups but I had to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45UW9rrUbhc

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Great looking bunch of Tri 5 gassers! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum! Looks like you guys are building in the same conditions I build in; a canopy!
I saw the video of his tilt frontend in a link someone sent me a long time ago. Would love to see more details of how it's built. I did a pivot link on mine to move it forward, and then tilt. It works very well, and easy for one person to open.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow! Welcome aboard cking894...... You guys have got it goin' on. Got to be havin' a blast. Looking forward to seeing more of your projects and good luck with your new gasser endeavor. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
You don't need a big fancy shop to build cool cars and haven fun doing it...like em all but really like the 55 2 door wagon...keepn the young guys interested

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been a while since I posted anything on here. A lot has happened in the past six months. Norm moved to a new house so all our tools and equipment had to get moved and setup again. We are still searching for everything.

We started working on the frame for my '56 Chevy yesterday. We welded it to our welding table so it won't move around. We also welded the radiator support in place to the welding table so that when the frame is done it is in the right location which will help aligning the front fenders.

Here is a picture of my '56 as it is now. I've owned it since '80 just after I got out of high school. The plan is to put a Jeep Cherokee two wheel drive front axle under it. I am in the process of rebuilding a '75 Cadillac 500 engine for it. We have a Ford 9" rearend that we will be narrowing to fit and keep the rear tires inside the wheel wells.

Here's the frame that we are going to put under it. It's actually a '55 Chevy frame that I picked up. This is before we welded it to the table.

In this picture we have the frame welded so that it is about six inches above the table. We had already used the plasma cutter to cut off the front frame rails.

In this picture you can see the radiator support welded to the table. Norm is grinding on the 2"X4"X1/4" wall steel that will be the new frame rails. We pie cut the steel at the front so that it tappers up much like the original frame rails did.

There is much more to come.

Here is a short video of Anthony's '55 Chevy two door wagon. He's got the engine and transmission in it and it runs. The engine is a 454 and the transmission is a Saginaw four speed. We have to install the roll bars soon, weld the roof on a little wiring and away he goes. Hopefully some time this summer.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=601407086617262&id=353689258055714

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some more progress pictures from this week. We got back from the Portland Swap Meet Sunday and had some time yesterday to do some work. The frame is coming along!!!

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We were able to get the front end pretty much together yesterday. We finished mounting the Saginaw 525 steering box and got the steering all setup. We pulled the frame off the welding table and set a rear end under it so we could move it around. I finished putting the bottom end of my engine together this week. Progress is happening but at slow pace.

We went to a small local swap meet this past weekend and I got a few good deals. I found a complete polyurethane body mount kit including the bolts and spacers along with a new polyurethane transmission mount for $35.00. I also found a line lock and a shift handle with a built in switch for next to nothing. That finishes the major items that I needed to find other than tires and front wheels.

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We got a little more done on the '56 this week. I picked up a Ford 9" rearend from a neighbor for a $100.00 a few months ago. I found that it was out of a '95 Bronco and that it had 4.11 gears and is a posi. The gears and the posi unit appeared to be in really good shape. I also picked up a third member that has 3.50 gears in it. I'm planning on putting the posi unit with the 3.50 gears and putting a mini spool in the 4.11 unit I found a pair of Moser 31 spline axles on Ebay and got a good deal on them. With these axles we were able to narrow the rearend so that it will be 55" from flange to flange. Here are some pictures of how we narrowed the rearend.

Norman made the alignment jig and it works great. The rearend is probably straighter new then when it was built at the factory.

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't posted here in several months. I've got a lot done but it's not things that have been very noticeable. We put the frame on the rotisserie so we could turn the frame over to move the rear spring in. We decided to mount the springs directly under the frame.

You can see in the picture our work area. It's outside in the dirt for now.

We cut the front spring hangers down so they would lay flat on the bottom of the frame.

The rear spring perch we made by turning a piece of thick wall dom so that the poly bushing just fit inside of it. The dom was welded inside of a 2" X 2" 1/4" wall square tubing and then welded in place on the frame.

While the frame was mounted on the rotisserie I stitch welded the top and bottom of the frame where the factory didn't weld to strengthen and stiffen the frame.

We cleaned up the frame with wire wheels and then painted it with appliance epoxy spray paint. The stuff is really tough and lays on really nice.

We still have to build the ladder bars and mounts along with a drive shaft loop. I think the motor mounts are next on the list.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
At least you've got good weather for outside work! We get so few good days after summer, that I have to work in a canopy, or get soaked!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fortunately we do have good weather. It was about 90 degrees out there Wednesday when we were working. The hard part is trying to weld when you have much of a breeze. The rain usually doesn't start here until Halloween.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I have a sheet of plywood I made a base for, so I stand it up as a barrier to the wind when welding outside. Without it the welding would be impossible at times.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a little bit more done on my car this last week. I made adapter plates from a pair of big block Chevy header flanges. The adapter plate is so that I can put my big block Chevy fender well headers on my Cadillac engine. The adapter plate bolts to the engine with recessed allen head bolts. We still have to make adapter plates so that we can install the 460 Ford intake manifold to the Cadillac engine.

Norman found a pair of 3 1/2" wide slot mags on Craigslist that happen to work on my 5 on 5 wheel pattern. Things are starting to move along. We have to build the motor mounts. After we do that I can set the engine in place and fire it up to break in the cam.

Keith

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Very cool build guys. What cu. in. Caddy is it? Great idea. Caddy is a torque monster

Keep up the great work
Mario

1 - 20 of 63 Posts