Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am gathering all my parts to get started on my new 55 project. I have already built my 2x4 stub for it and I have a chrome 32 Ford front suspension with 4 link for it. It will run a BBC. I want to keep the stock firewall in it because it will eventually have a ZL1 engine in it to show off. My question is about the front spring cross member. I’m worried about there not being enough room and the balancer/pan getting into it. I don’t want to have the thing so high in the air where it looks dumb, and I don’t want to have to raise the engine up real high. I’ve built several parallel leaf cars but this is my first transverse. Does anyone have experience/pics with this setup? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Unfortunately the member who probably would have a ton of information for you (he collected axles) is no longer with us; he passed away a few months back. Who knows though, there are members here who have a wealth of information on many topics; hopefully one of them will read your post and offer some guidance.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I don’t have experience with transverse front. But I would imagine desired axle location in the wheel opening would dictate where the crossmember would be placed and then motor placement from there. Depending on the room available would position the engine where it won’t be way up there. I imagine you knew that already.
I wish I had more info for you. Someone else will probably will chime in.

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
I can't imagine the crossmember and pan would be any interference issue with a Chevy engine? Being a rear sump, and with engine location, the transverse spring crossmember should be below the harmonic balancer, and not even be close to the pan. And that would be with stock location, not setback. If it was setback much even the balancer wont be close.
I think you're good to go with a transverse spring, and crossmember. We'd love to see you start a build thread and keep us updated as you go forward with this.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The transverse spring should not be a problem. But handling maybe with the weight. My car is a perfect candidate for it So is Vall's. If you have noticed. It's smaller, lighter cars that ran them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts