Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local high school automotive trade school had their annual benefit car show today. Attendance was slightly off with temps predicted to hit nearly 100 degrees! Our group of 4 gassers got some loving by the kids in the school! A 1948 Austin A40, 1955 Pontiac Chieftain, 1965 Nova, and my 1963 Falcon; all got chosen for awards by the students!
Seems there's hope for this generation after all, and maybe they're not all into import cars, and late model computer controlled cars! The students asked some great questions, and seemed pretty savvy about what the 60's gassers represented in drag racing history!
We were surprised that all 4 of our gassers got recognized!

PS-The 1955 Chieftain has been in the same family since it was brand new! The present owner bought it from his grandfather when he was in high school in the 60's for $90. He just finished rebuilding it into gasser style last year! It's got a 389 SD in it, with tunnel ram, and twin carbs. Pretty quick little Poncho!

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a camera guy Lash. Except during the builds when I want to record what I did. I should have had it at last Wed. night's cruise in too! I looked over the nearly 1500 cars and thought, "I wish I'd brought my camera to get a picture of all the cars!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to hear that the young generations are looking into quality vehicles mate! What kind of questions were they asking? It'd be interesting to know what kids these days want to know about cars!

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear that the young generations are looking into quality vehicles mate! What kind of questions were they asking? It'd be interesting to know what kids these days want to know about cars!
The high school level trade school guys seem to be more interested in how something was built than most older guys are. Either the older guys already know by looking, or they don't want to ask. The young guys wanted to know what was done to reinforce the chassis and frame to handle the BBC and 4 speed in a Falcon. They were also interested in the straight axle and ladder bars, and why they were chosen over a modern suspension.

·
Registered
645 Posts
:DDitto:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts