Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished making a set of Cal-Trac style bars for my car, but briefly, I had a idea for a hybred (or maybe inbred) slapper/ladder/Cal-Trac style bars. Here's a sketch of what I had in my warped mind. If anyone markets these, I expect royalties ;).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Gary that's a great Idea. Make the rubber snubber adjustable to fine tune the travel left and right side. I really like it.
Patent it baby!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I like it, and altering shackle length would also change the preload, or snubber position. A longer pivot would also change ratio, if needed for different tracks. Looks like it would also give the old school ladder bar setup, and yet work like a Cal Trac.
Only issue I see is it can only work with springs mounted under the axle, and not axle under the springs, unless a bracket was welded to the axle to mount it to the bottom. Great design Gary!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Have you made a model of it to see how the pivot will act? Looks more flexible than the Cal-Tracs. I have them on my '55 and it's just the one pivot with a pre-load adjustment. Yours looks like the shackle would pivot then apply pressure to the spring - cool idea. Seems softer (less harsh) than the Cals and it looks vintage!

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts