Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of them? They have cheater slicks and various other tires. The name on their home page says retreading, Surely the cheater slicks aren't retreads, I didn't think anyone done that anymore.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think all their tires are re-treads and I haven't much for complaints, either. Their main business re-tread roundy round tires.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Yes, they are recaps, and recaps today aren't like you used to hear about. Technology has changed immensely, and nowhere near the problems they once had with tread letting go. I've got Hurst recapped cheater slicks on my Falcon, and they are holding up great. I've heard good things about Towell City cheater slicks, and their variety of compounds for street or strip.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Towel City tires look good. There were basically 4 choices for 60's look pie crust cheater style slicks these days. There are the Radir and Coker/Firestone tires that are new construction and then Hurst and Towel city for recap style tires. I really don't like the look or the price of the Coker/Firestone tires. The Radir tires look nice but the price is steep. Hurst is no longer in business (they might show up again someday) Finally Towel City tires are the only option for recap tires. I personally do not have an issue with quality recap tires, Towel city has been around for many years and has a good reputation. When I am ready to pull the trigger on pie crust tires for my project Towel City will be who I make my order from.
Greg

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only experience I've had with recaps is on truck tires, friend of mine has a semi and he won't run them in the summer, because of the extra heat, but will run them in the cold months. I got on there site and they look real good. I'll agree on Coker and some of the others being so high. I'd like to get a pair later and mount on a set of spare wheels. How well do they hook?

·
Registered
922 Posts
As late as the 80's I bought a pair of re-cap passenger tires from Monkey Wards for my work car. They held together fine. I guess that was 30 yrs ago, though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My brother ran a pair of their cheater slicks on his '64 Dodge and was very happy with them. They build them on radial casings, so that may be good. If that's what you're looking for. I actually called them a couple weeks ago to get a quote on a pair for my Plymouth. The size I need, he didn't have any used casings and would have to make them on new tires, which is okay but added about $160 to the cost. (to cover the new tires to build on). So I'm going to order a set but may wait a month or so just to get some other stuff on the build done first

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Just to add a bit here. Slicks in general (new or recaps) aren't always going to hold up well at freeway speeds, or daily driving in very warm weather. But most recaps are done on a heavy radial casing, and they hold up much better than new slicks that have a thin tread, and thin sidewall.
When I ordered my drag radials from M&H, I asked John which tire he felt would be best for my use. He asked a lot of good questions about how I drove the Austin, and suggested that all their DOT approved slicks would not hold up to anything over 10-15 mile drives on the street to the drags. He said the thin structure and not tread design simply builds up too much heat, and they would fail. The drag radials he suggested are a much heavier tread design, and thicker sidewalls, and have worked out very well on my car.
The Hurst recaps I have on my Falcon wear like iron, and hold up great on hot, long highway drives. But they don't hook up well on the drag strip. I love the look, and the way they work on the street. But I swap to my Goodyear Eagle wrinkle walls when it hits the strip.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I use them, I would just get a spare set of wheels. I always ran Mickey Thompson on my dragsters, Goodyear seem to have a lot of tie shake. Mickeys worked great on good and bad tracks. On this car though I would want something that worked good and has the LOOK! I'm a ways away before I have to worry about tires. Need to get in gear, working on everybody else's junk right now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Don't like the idea of recaps on a high HP or torque monster car. Putting 500 Cad in my Austin. Just got the engine. Recaps, NO WAY! 500 inches 450 to 500 HP stock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't like the idea of recaps on a high HP or torque monster car. Putting 500 Cad in my Austin. Just got the engine. Recaps, NO WAY! 500 inches 450 to 500 HP stock.
You can call me crazy then. I am not scared at all. I will be putting a pair on the back of my 55'. I will be 600 plus HP with a 4speed and 4:56 gears. Any common sense inspection will see signs of separation. I am confident they will be fine. I will be running real Hoosier drag slicks at the track. To each your own I guess.
Greg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts