Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a crossroads decision-wise. I'm SLOWLY completing my falcon fx car. I have a set of vintage 28x8 casler cheaters on painted steel wheels. Some dry cracking but more than good enuff for occasional street use or display. , although I thought I needed to get a new set of towel city pie crusts for it. Maybe some new wheel vintiques oe chrome wheels for them. ( look sweet with 4" cragars I have for front). But if I plan some occasional strip time, should I get some real slicks for it. I love the vintage look of the PC slicks. But I'm sure they don't hook for shit. And I already have some vintage ones. Finally to my point...I see that towel city has recap drag slicks on Hoosier racing tire casings. I can get 27.5 x8" for 87$ each. Anyone use them before? How do y'all think they would look /work? I'm just torn on what to do. The 87$ price speaks volumes. :confused: thanks in advance for your opinions RS59

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
The Towel City slicks done on real race casings would probably be fine for the track, but those thin sidewalls would not be a good choice for the street. Too much sidewall flex for street driving, and might create some ugly handling issues. Towel City sells recap pie crust slicks that have a soft enough compound to get great traction, but a thicker sidewall that would be great for the street. They're more money, but I think that would be a tire that you could drive more on the street, yet still head to the track and not have to do any tire swapping to race.
I found good used drag slicks are almost free around my area. Tons of them on the local craigslist for $20-$50 a pair. So I use my Hurst pie crust for daily driving, as they're too hard a compound for racing; then have a pair of Goodyear Eagle wrinkle walls mounted on some cheap rims for going to the drags. Since 99% of my driving is on the street, the one trip a year to the drags isn't a big deal if I have to swap tires and wheels.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
I'd probably go to the DOT casings myself, unless it was a strictly drag car. If you spend more time on the street than the strip, the DOT casing is a better choice. I think Towel City has rubber compound choices also, so you may be able to chose from something hard that wears well, or something soft and sticky that will hook, but might wear out sooner.
Edit-Just looked at their site and just the one compound, but sounds like one that would hook well. I see the 8" slick on a DOT is even cheaper at under $80!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got tcr piecuts on dot casings on the '60. They can be made to hook. I'm using CalTrac lift bars. With 498" of big block have no big issues with traction on the street. Only have 1000 miles on them so IDK about tire life.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I run wrinkle wall M/T Et Streets on my Mustang,and have no scary handling issues with them on the street,but I do one thing before I take the car out on the street with them:
Air them up to 25psi,so the sidewalls remain rigid.They still hook well (better than any regular street radial is going to),they make the car look very serious,and the best part is,all my lazy old man self has to do is put 15psi in them to get the car ready for the street.No changing tires,jacking the car,etc.
Just Pssst......Pssst, and you're ready to rock!:)
Then,when you get to the track,just put your thumbnail on the valve stem for a few seconds,check the pressure,mak a slight adjustment or two,and you're ready to race.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts