Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(I moved this thread from "Nostalgia Gas" to here since it's more a general discussion)

I see a lot of members here going for the "period correct" look on their cars, and while I was watching the old 131 Dragway vids, I really enjoyed seeing the old classic wagons and trucks people were using for tow rigs and pushers.

Do any of you nostalgia builders have a "period correct" tow rig to go along with your gasser/hotrods?

I always thought it'd just add to the cool factor to show up at a nostalgia drag/show, car show or cruise-in towing a classic Gasser with an equally classic rig.

Even if you don't have one, weigh-in on what you'd like, or think would be really cool if you had one to go along with your car, or what you think would go cool with other members cars.

Of course, having a Falcon project, a Falcon wagon would come to mind for me.....but Falcon wagons weren't exactly heavy duty enough for towing, although it'd make a great return lane pusher/puller and pit-mobile.

One thing I noticed in the old drag vids was that the tow rigs and pit cars weren't necessarily the same model or even make of the drag car, so even though pulling my 65 Falcon gasser with a 65 Galaxie wagon or 65 Ford truck would be obvious choices, the reality of the day was, they used what they had,....so choice/opinion is open to a big variety of possibilities.

So, whether it be a tow rig for the drag races, or just a companion rig to haul lawn chairs, picnic food and the beer cooler to the car show,....

what do you/would you have?

I found a great one right in my back yard, among all my other project cars and road relics...

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Vall, is that the Barbie and Ken version of a gasser ??? LOL. It just looks so small on that trailer. My Catalina would be hanging off both ends of that trailer, HA! Mark L

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
^^ :D

The trailer is a dead give-away. It would have been on the ground or on some rinkity single axle. Can we call your car a trailer queen now? :p

I am looking for a '58 or '59 Fleetside for my rig. It would be cool, but I'm sure I'll have to sell a couple cars to get one. Love that body style with the four headlights. I even have a tow bar for my car. Probably won't use it seriously, though. Although it did bumper tow a Packard from WA to 'Vegas with no problems...

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
It is a part time trailer queen at least! And yes, it's slightly larger than a Barbie car! It is lost on the trailer, and it's only a 16'x7' deck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The early 'Burb is perfect. I'm a huge Suburban fan....own two of my own....80's though.

I bid on this but lost on an ebay auction,....

'65 1-ton dually panel truck. Said to be a factory special order for an oil drilling company.

I didn't care if it was factory or not, it would be the perfect period correct rig for a Gasser, and more than heavy duty enough for the job

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
That '65 dually would make a fantastic tow rig! All that storage area that's hidden, plus a stable base to haul with!
This is the newest Burb I've owned to date. I've had a '57, '60 and '64 in the past. Never liked the newer long Burbs, but I hadn't driven one. Now that I have had this one for over a year I can't imagine going back to the short Burbs.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
I've had my share of period corrects but get gun shy on reliability when hauling a distance. I would however love to find an old four door fire truck I could put on a newer chassis and have all the immedities. Love diesel haulers just for the fact there efficient and they pull hills, and we're I live there's hills in both direction and there all UP ! ! :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I found a '59 GMC! Got it cheap and it only has 61,xxx miles on it. Looks like it used to be a school district vehicle. Started to work in it today. Plans are SBC/700r4, Camaro/Firebird front clip and overload bags for the rear (in case I want to tow). Mainly just a cool cruiser.

Fixed the lower driver's door hinge. The pocket on the door was rusted/broken and the hinge pin was broken clean off. It looks like it sat under a fir tree for most of it's life, at least the back half did. There are needles piled between the bed and the cab. The driver door had about 2 inches of needles in it.

The bed wood looks original and I kinda like how it looks. It will need all new strips and some rust repair on the sides and wells.

I got the old 261 running. Sounds pretty good. Just did a basic tune up on it. Carb needs to be rebuilt. The brakes are shot so I did not try moving it. It's a 4-speed now. Anyone know someone restoring one of these that might need a cherry stocker? It even has the foot starter button.

It does have the deluxe heater but a radio delete.

Mike

·
Registered
699 Posts
Here is what I had thought about over the years. A 61-63 Ford unibody. There is one sitting about 20 feet from my Mach 1 right now. I thought about trying to buy it from my friend who owned the Falcon. It is a sharp looking truck when finished. There is one issue with the unibody. With a load in the bed, it sometimes makes it so you can't open the doors! lol It probably would be a good place to stuff my 460!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02/looking-back-1961-1963-ford-f100-unibody-pickups.html

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi Isaac, I had a 62 Ford uni in California. I loved that truck, it had a split exhaust manifold and a custom intake on the old 6 cyl engine. Navy moved me out a ways and the commute ended up making me get something more economical. Never had an issue with the doors. Wish I still had it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Awesome, got any pictures of it? The door problem might be one of those internet tribal wisdom problems. Sort of like 351 Clevelands are terrible street engines. I always check the truck out when I visit my friend. How did the 6 run with the hop up parts?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I do have pictures, but they are pre computer, so will try and see if I can scan them. It ran REAL good. At least for the street. It still had the stock transmission so I tried no to terrorize it too much.
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Nice '59 Mike! Looks pretty straight, and complete!
Thanks! I am building it to be a quick runner with a lot of the junk I already have. I did just pick up a Firebird clip from a '76 Trans-Am for $125 to do that swap. Should be a fun truck. I have a thread on the hamb since it doesn't really fit here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts