Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've posted this at a couple other forums so some of you may have already seen it but here goes.

I bought a pair of Center Line mags with Mickey Thompson tires at a recent swap meet for my rat rod truck. Unfortunately the Center Lines don't look right on it.

I had an old pair of Torque Thrust mags laying around that I used to have on my Chevelle. The mags are an off brand and one of them was a leaker so when I found a set of Americans for it I replaced them. We decided to cut the centers out of them to make a type of hubcap for the Center Lines. The centers will be bolted to the lug nuts when I've finished. The lug nuts have about three quarters of an inch of threads to bolt to so there's no problem attaching them with bolts.

Here is how we cut the mags down. This first two pictures show how we cut the mags down to size initially. We used a piece of plywood to mount our trusty Craftsman skill saw to. We cut a hole through it so the blade extended through the plywood. we then clamped the saw and plywood to a plywood box at the right height to cut through the mag. A carbide blade on the skill saw makes a nice clean cut.

Here is a picture after the outside of the rims has been cut off.

We put the wheels on an old trailer axle to grind them down but it was apparent that it was going to take forever to take the extra half inch off of them.

Norman came up with a plan to use the buffer to cut the wheels down. He sandwiched four carbide saw blades together to act as a grinder. We mounted the axle in a vice so that we could position it at the right height to the grinder. By having the wheel on a spindle we were able to move the wheel into the improvised grinder to slowly cut the wheels down. The grinder worked out great and it was definitely a lot faster and cleaner.

Keith

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
This is an ingenious idea. I've been thinking of buying new rear rims and hating that I could only get 14 inch wide Cragars to match my 15 inch wide fronts. This opens up all kinds of possibilities. Great idea and tool use. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
That's really great backyard engineering! Just have one question. If you have thread leftover on your lugnuts, is there enough thread on the studs to properly hold those large tires and wheels?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have extra long lug bolts and lug nuts holding on the center lines. There is about two inches of threads that hold the wheels on. There was about three quarters of threads inside the back of the lug nuts. I made up studs that screwed into them and then bolted the torque thrust on with a second lug nut on the outside. They have worked out great so far. I have close to a thousand miles on the combination so far without any issues. I have even done some parking lot drag racing at one of the car shows we were at in June. I did have some concern about the torque thrust be in balance but when we spun them on the axle while grinding them it was obvious when the were balanced. So far I have only had one person figure out the center line/torque thrust combo.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
I can't tell from the picture, but did you paint or do anything to the centerline wheel to hide it behind the Torq Thrust center?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pictures I posted here were all before I actually mounted them up. I ended up painting the center lines a flat black. The back of the center lines just go away and it's hard to see that they are there without looking closely.

I'll try to post up a picture of what they look like now in the next day or so.

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to swing by the house and get a picture of the wheels.

Keith

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's awesome! I never cared for center lines or super tricks........ 'til now... :D :) :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok Steve,

It's not a gasser but here you go. We built my truck four years ago and I have driven it over 10000 miles so far. It's a '41 Chevy pickup that has been chopped 5", channeled 4" and I cut 3" off the bottom of the cab. It's on a 2X3" 3/16" frame that we built. The bed sides are '40 Ford pickup running boards. It has a Cadillac 500 engine that I freshened up with rings a bearings, ported and polished the heads and installed a Comp Cams Mutha Thumper cam. It has a turbo 400 transmission with a Ford 9" read end running 2.73 gears. With the 33" tires I'm running right at 1800 rpms at 70 mph.

Here is a video of my pickup and my buddies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45UW9rrUbhc&list=TLV8mPSiIqBrw

Keith

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's an awesome ride! Good job! I still think the wheels are "off the hook." Some how I missed the interior shot! :D :D :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts