Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I went down the rabbit hole of using unleaded gas and adding octane boost. Is it really necessary? The guys on the HAMB do not think so, but other places say hell yea if your valve seats are not hardened. I have even read some horror stories where the seat actually came off while driving. I am thinking of running premium unleaded and putting some royal purple octane boost in. VP racing fuel has some as well and they both have good reviews. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
Octane rating has zero to do with how hard your valves and valve seats are. You could have the highest octane rating made, and if it's unleaded gas it will still take it's toll on the valves. It's the old gas with lead that protected valves and seats. So adding booster wont help unless it's also got lead in it.
There are numerous companies selling lead substitutes and those are what you want if you don't have hardened seats or valves.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems that with all the reading I was using the wrong tyerms. Although most lead additives are out there, they seem to ride on the back of octane boosters to prevent knocking. Here is what the amsoil website says-

AMSOIL DOMINATOR® Octane Boost
It’s no secret that we suggest AMSOIL DOMINATOR Octane Boost.
It contains a healthy dose of MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl), which is a metallic additive that creates a sacrificial barrier on valve seats to help prevent recession and keep your engine running strong. It’s excellent as a lead substitute.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
I rarely use octane boost. What I do use is the Lucas gas treatment. Fuel injection / carb cleaner and lubricant. That lubricant will help protect your valve seats. I poured some in a running generator and it actually quieted down as it went in the gas. Good stuff. Walmart sells it by the gallon. I also buy a quart for refill purposes. You won’t be disappointed.

Liquid Plastic bottle Ingredient Personal care Font

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rarely use octane boost. What I do use is the Lucas gas treatment. Fuel injection / carb cleaner and lubricant. That lubricant will help protect your valve seats. I poured some in a running generator and it actually quieted down as it went in the gas. Good stuff. Walmart sells it by the gallon. I also buy a quart for refill purposes. You won’t be disappointed.

View attachment 107660

So, I can run the Lucas stuff and use premium unleaded and should be good to go?

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
So, I can run the Lucas stuff and use premium unleaded and should be good to go?
This Lucas fuel treatment can’t replace Lead additive but it sure makes it more livable to get by. Are you using old seats in your heads? If so you might need to just use Led additive. Maybe Lucas can shed some light on this.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
The lead substitutes aren't adding lead, but have things in them that will act like lead to protect wear on valves and seats. Some guy say you don't need them for the low miles we drive our hotrods, but considering they're usually under $3 a bottle I'd rather use them if I had old style valves and seats.
I use octane booster all the time in my Austin because if I don't it pings like crazy, even with 93 octane gas! I only use VP Racing Fuel Octanium booster because it's not only a booster, but has a lead substitute in it too. I don't need the lead with my upgraded valves, but it costs the same for Octanium with or without the lead substitute.
It says one bottle treats 10 gallons, but that's to boost it 8 points, and I use 1/4 bottle per fill up to boost it a couple points each fill.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. I was eyeballing that Octanium at my local O'Reillys and was seriously considering it. I think I will give it a whirl! I am thinking I may try to start this Sunday.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
OK. I was eyeballing that Octanium at my local O'Reillys and was seriously considering it. I think I will give it a whirl! I am thinking I may try to start this Sunday.
It's one of the most expensive I've tried Dave, but some cheap ones don't work at all, even if I pour the whole bottle in a fill up! With the VP Racing at least it works, and doesn't take much to eliminate the pinging. Just be sure you don't get the one marked "unleaded"!

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Hey Dave I just got off the phone with Lucas Oil. The treatment I recommended works as a lead substitute. if you don’t need octane boost that treatment would be your best bet.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is your concern Dave? Is it old softer valves and seats, or high compression engine? Or both?
I am looking to stop as much damage to the engine as possible. I am a worrier by nature. I want to protect the valve seats and want to make sure my octane is high enough it does not ping.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
I am looking to stop as much damage to the engine as possible. I am a worrier by nature. I want to protect the valve seats and want to make sure my octane is high enough it does not ping.
But do you need it? Do you know what you've got now for compression, or valves and seats? I like to worry too, so I try to make sure I don't need to.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But do you need it? Do you know what you've got now for compression, or valves and seats? I like to worry too, so I try to make sure I don't need to.
well, I guess I do not know. The heads came off a running early sixties vette and I am guessing at 10 to 1 compresson

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
well, I guess I do not know. The heads came off a running early sixties vette and I am guessing at 10 to 1 compresson
If you don't have specs on how the heads were assembled, or whether your engine has flat top or dished top pistons, then you have good reason to worry. Compression can be taken care of by using good octane booster, and if it's got old style valves and seats you can use one of the additives for that also. I've got friends that swear by good old Marvel Mystery Oil dumped in the gas tank with every fill up, and say it protects the valves, and seats well. But it's not an octane booster.
I've used MMO mixed in my gas for a long time, and no issues with 1/4 cup with 15 gals. of gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts