Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 'vintage' tire machine last year and finally mounted it to the floor. I have done well over a dozen tires already. Just did four this weekend for my brother and decided that I should bolt it down.

I used the nutserts that are flush with the floor (drilled the holes the correct depth with a 1/2" bit) and bolted it down. It's solid now.

On steel rims we were able to mount the tires just by lubing them up and forcing them on.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Best thing about a tire machine is how easily it dismounts tires! I'v mounted tires by hand, but dismounting is nearly impossible by hand.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Looks well used but in good mechanical condition. I always wanted a tire machine for my shop but never had enough tires to swap to warrent the cost and the space. At one time I seriously looked into renting the old Chrysler dealership building in our little town, to make a tire selling business of my own. It had a display/showroom, three front bays with lifts, and the whole rear of the building would have been open to use. I was going to make rental bays. Then anyone could come, rent a bay, and work on their cars. I even had a great deal with the local NAPA to give me additional money off for parts. I planned to sell tires, shocks, exhaust, and minor engine repair too. But every thing I tried I just could not see the business getting enough work to make the place viable. There were already too many small shops in our little town. So I gave up on it. Now I'm glad I did. I'm sure I'd still be there trying to make ends meet, IF, it actually had survived the great economic collapse. MArk L

·
Registered
643 Posts
mt94ss,

Very cool vintage piece and it works!
How about an old "bubble balancer" to go with it,,,with a critical eye, it could get you through in a pinch!

56 VIC - Tom

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve, I've done 8 1/2" wheels so far and it might do a 10". And it does do a fantastic job of dismounting. I need a better 'spoon' for mounting so I don't damage the tire or the wheel. The one that came with it is fine for steel wheels but it did scratch one of the wheels that we did (the paint). After that we just man-handled (I know - non-PC) the tires on. Pretty easy with two big guys pushing the tires on.

Tom, I would like some kind of balancer. I will have to keep my eyes open for an old school one. I had a chance to buy a wheel alignment machine for $100 at the Portland Swap Meet but passed, now I wonder if I shouldn't have picked it up.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts