Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I'm hoping to install the headlights and parking lamps into the fiberglass front clip of my 55' over my christmas break. Honestly I'm pretty fuzzy on how I'm going to attach them. anyone have any advice they can share? I just need something, some kind of backer, to screw them into. I was thinking of attaching metal tabs to the FG with 3M 8115 adhesive and screwing the lights into those tabs?
what are others doing? IMG-20121215-00300.jpg DSCF5607.jpg

couple of pics of what I've got and also the hinge set up I came up with.

Thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
510 Posts
Charlie, you can use metal clips with the built in cut for sheetmetal screws, some of the factory headlights were held in this way just cut the hole for the headlight bucket you might make a cardboard template to make opening as tight as possible your headlight bucket will have 3 or 4 holes that mounted the bucket to the steel fenders once hole is cut open making sure the bucket is clocked right, top, bottom, set in hole mark screw holes, slide the clips onto the cut fiberglass making sure clip will slide in far enough to line up with marks you have made remove the clip drill hole and replace clip onto fiberglass then install bucket , headlight and so on. Andy

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
They call those "J clips" or "J nuts". Lots of factory fenders used them to hold parts, and they come in various sizes from small sheetmetal screw size to 3/8" bolt sizes. Most hardware stores with a good variety will have them, and some auto parts stores. My Chevys have them all over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geez...I was way overthinking this! thanks guys! also, good tip on using a template to cut out the holes for the headlights!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I had a FGlass front end on my '67 Nova. The clip on th eFglass will work but I always felt it was a little flimsy. Of course that depends on the thickness of the Fglass too. But I took a small piece of sheet metal and made a ring out of it to attach to the Fglassand to reinforce the Fglass. Then the J-clip around that and the Fglass. Just felt more solid and kept the headlight from vibrating. Just a heads up. Mark L

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Good reminder Mike ! ! Can't tell ya how many hot rods I've had in the shop cause there head lights didn't work ! ! Also it's not always a bad idea to fab a support ring, even if done in quarter sections. It dose stiffen the headlamp area were there maybe some vibration.... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
interesting. so how would you attach the sheet metal parts to FG? just fiberglass it into place with cloth and resin? I was initially thinking of making rings out of wood and fiberglassing into place.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Very good advice on the grounds Mike! I think this causes more troubles in hotrods, regardless of whether there's glass body parts or steel! I ran ground wires from all my devices and hooked all of them to the frame. Then connected the battery lead to the frame, along with a large jumper from the engine to the frame too. No such thing as too good a ground!

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Very good advice on the grounds Mike! I think this causes more troubles in hotrods, regardless of whether there's glass body parts or steel! I ran ground wires from all my devices and hooked all of them to the frame. Then connected the battery lead to the frame, along with a large jumper from the engine to the frame too. No such thing as too good a ground!
You got that right, Vall ! !

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I've had guys ask me to look at electrical issues on their cars where they had things either not working, or things working in ways they weren't supposed to! Open grounds can cause more than just things not working. They can cause tailights to both blink, or marker lights to work with blinkers. Whenever I see a car that is doing weird things with lights, I start clipping on ground jumpers to see if it fixes it. If a temp ground jumper solves the issue, then making it permanent will fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys I'll pay extra attention to the grounding.
Hey Vall, I was in Portland on Tuesday...It snowed, hope the weather improved.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Thanks guys I'll pay extra attention to the grounding.
Hey Vall, I was in Portland on Tuesday...It snowed, hope the weather improved.
Yeah, turned to rain and wind the next day. Still raining, cold, and windy! Should have hollered before you came through! We could get together for coffee, or?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll make a point to give you a heads up next time. I go up there about every 2-3 months...checking out the new light rail extension they're building.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts