Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title say's
Here we can come up with ideas to keep a project burning.......:cool: as the doe slows and the time passes how to wring out those few minutes that add up.
Your thought and concerns are welcome.
This is something we all go threw and how some of us fill in when there is a lack of : TIME, MONEY, and or , AMBITION ! ! ;);););)

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Money has always been an issue, and time too. Now time is more plentiful, but money is still a bit of an issue. Space is a big issue too, but I've worked around that.
As I've mentioned previously, my plan was to spend 15 minutes every day when I was building my Austin. Regardless of whether I had every part I needed or not, I still went out to the car and tried to do something. Sometimes it was cleaning and painting, and sometimes it was making up a to do list. But other times it was hours of work that started out as just 15 minutes.
When money was short I spent hours under my car cleaning with a wire wheel on a drill motor, or a scraper. Then spent more hours with a paint brush and a can of satin black painting frame and undercarriage. Mock up time doesn't cost much either, so often I cut up cardboard boxes to make patterns for brackets. The bracket cost adds up if you buy prefabbed, but when the metal comes from my scrap box it's cheap, and more fun to build.
Cleaning and painting is not all that much fun, and it wears on old bones, but it keeps me in contact with the project, and keeps me going forward. I still have a to do list, even though the Austin is pretty much done. Most of it is cheap, but subtle changes that I can do over the winter. Might even end up back under the car this winter doing cleanup from all the miles I've put on it this summer.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. I work (to pay for the 38) so do not get much time during the week. But on the weekend, my wife knows that I will be in the shop at least half of the day on Saturday or Sunday. If nothing else is going on (right) then I try to spend as much time as possible. She is understanding. Sometimes it just means I lay underneath the car and contemplate life. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think a day goes by that I don't do something in the shop.. many times I will be watchingTV or something and a thought comes to mind and I will walk out there and sit on a stool and look things over and think about different ways to build the car, and the best and easiest way to do it,
getting the car done is definately a priorty,, and I have 90% of the parts to finish it,, its just the other irons in the perverable fire that takes priority,
I have started a small buisness to build some material handling equipment for forklifts,, and that has taken up most of my time lately,,( AND MONEY )but things are looking really good to start getting them on the market,, fingers and toes crossed,,,:>}

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill if its anything like your Hot Rod you are going to be a huge success ! ! !

Vall hit the golden nail on the melon he said (((((((((15 MINUTES)))))))))) That will keep your project going and or get your new one started...... :D :D

We have all been there, and we're going to be there again. But it gives us time to think of the next step or even if we want to back the last step up for a better one. Listen I really don't like to say it like this but,,,,,,,,, No one here knows better then me ! ! ! I do it all day and sometimes I wold love to work some were else so I could come home to my project.. BUT at the same time as I'm working on a customers I may brew one heck of an idea for mine... But I have to leave my job at the end of the day get something to eat, and tell my self NOW DON'T SIT DOWN ! ! ! ! ! Again like Vall said JUST 15 MINUTES and that will most times turn into 20 or 30 or more....
Oh and the money thing, ya that hurts us all no matter what our situation we still have bills and more responsibility than we care to claim... kids, taxes, morgageeeeeeeeeeeeeee,,, shop maintenance, and on and on.. But at the end of the day it's nice to know we have a project to melt our frustrations away.... Till we slam one of our dam fingers ! ! ! !:D :D

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
My 15 min. project today was to fix my leaky electric fuel pump. Turned into a couple hours as I had to hand build a gasket for the leaky bottom cover. Still, it was something the car and I both needed! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well I got my 15 minutes in, more like a hr,, not on the car but the other project,, Got a call from probably the biggest contractor in Town, (Val you know of Western Partitions) They called and want to test the unit I have been working on ,to see how its going to work ,,before they commit to buying some so I am going to let them use it for a month at Intel, I don't have a fork lift,, so I welcomed the chance to get it tested,,,
I needed to change a part of it to be capable of working with 2 different types of dump Buggys,
So today has been a great day so far....

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya know I was thinking of Johns Opel today. About how much pan to remove ! ! I was thinking since it's getting a cage, it will have to go from rocker sill to rocker sill and just remove the firewall and back to the rear tail pan. The vega cage is is front to back so he will need nothing in its way when lowering the body over the chassis.
I'm assuming the front aprons and core support are all coming off as they won't be needed. Once those pans are out of the way things will move right along. ;)

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to put a bit of time in on the Grump, I lowers the body over the chassis and there are these aluminum partitions that on the driver side is keeping the body from lowering down anymore.
I cut the front body mounts I made a while back to get the body down a bit more.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Kinda did that with the Austin firewall. A few test fits of the engine and kept whittling. Then I realised I was not gonna save enough to make all the in and outs worthwhile for the engine! Grabbed the sawzall and just chopped the whole firewall out, and set the engine in. Still had to test fit and trim the frame rails until I got a feel for what I'd need for frame rails. Once I had it close I trimmed up the rails, boxed them in, plated them, and dropped the engine in to fab the mounts.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thanks Steve..... Lots of great sharing here on this thread.

On my way to work so catch up with you later today.

Thanks for "unlocking" this thread....

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NA ! ! We send three hench men to your door with the first off topic warning ;) ;) ;) I'm thinking it must be in a default but usually done manually with an administrators setting. No biggie though doesn't take much to reopen them.

However this is a great place to keep off topics to keep our builder threads less crowded. ;)

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I've had topics lock themselves before, or at least they seem to do it themselves. My Austin project thread locked itself several times and I didn't even know it until I got PM's telling me it was locked. Something weird going on here.

·
Registered
699 Posts
NA ! ! We send three hench men to your door with the first off topic warning ;) ;) ;)

WHEEE WEEE!!!!:::: Thats a load off my mind,, only thing worse would be a gang of Naked midgets,,, ;>}
You might want to check outside your window! You might be a little off topic and the neighbors might be calling the police about those naked midgets on your front lawn! Unless you live in Eugene and then they are encouraged.

I will have to do a lot of the 15 minute projects for the next few weeks until Christmas. My days will be busy with work and school! Unfortunately I need more money for more parts and some of them are a bit more expensive, but I don't want to cheap out on electrical wiring. I might spend some time painting some of the parts I left bare for mock up purposes. That is a cheap process with a rattle can. Also bodywork after the initial supplies is just really time consuming. Especially for a few of my dents on my passenger side door. They will require extensive work, but not so much that it will be impossible for my lack of skill. I have also just gone out and sat in my car to think things over on how I want to proceed with the project. That seems to help me figure out what to do next and how to do it.

This was a good thread to get me to reassess how much work I need to do to keep moving forward and I'm glad it's unlocked!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I'm glad to hear you sit in your car for inspiration Isaac! I sometimes go out and walk around mine, and if nothing comes to mind I sit down in the seat and start thinking. It almost always leads to a plan or idea of some kind. I went out there this afternoon and decided to build a new mounting system to rehang my old Simpson chute in the back. I ended up dragging the portaband, grinder, and welder out and fabbing up a frame mount that drops below the body and then positions the chute back just below the trunk lid. Didn't finish it, but there's always tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts