Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What shocks are you all using on your tilt front ends? I got a set for a dodge caravan, 6in travel. It just don't seem like they're going to work. If they are all the way depressed with the front end closed, then they don't let the front tilt far enough. I've looked at several, and they all seem to have 6in travel. They sure make it nicer opening and closing if I could get the dang things right.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update, I found a set on ebay with 10in of travel. They are for a Mercedes 3L. I'll update if they work, that way if anyone else needs a pair, they won't have to look through 5000 ads on ebay. $25.00, free shipping.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Appreciate the post....I may change my setup later so I'll keep that in mind.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I don't use struts on either of mine, and have never used them in the past either. Length isn't a real issue, if you choose to use a strut. It's where you locate them. The closer to the pivot point, the less travel or length they need. Put a mark on the frame and the frontend, and measure both open length, vs. closed length. Just move it closer to the pivot point if you need a shorter strut, or farther for a longer strut.
I don't have any trouble opening the Falcon's frontend, even with the extra tubing added to it for strength.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dodge isn't so light. I had the 1st ones down real close to the pivot point, but it wouldn't open as far as I wanted. It made a big difference in opening it. Trying to get it far enough forward that I don't hit my head every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts