Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not post our old rides from way back when. Just add to this thread and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun to see ourselves when we had hair and lots of energy.......

1st up is me with my 64 cutlass washing my fresh red and white lacquer paint job.

olds 350, 4speed, 4bl quadrajet carb with w31 cam and dual factory exhaust.
Ladder Bars on a 390 posi gto 10 bolt rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool Gary.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Old....

Wish I still had some, my bitch of a sister threw every thing out that was mine at my mom's house,,, just to be a bitch. All I have left is this...my 650 BSA rigged frame chopper that I built from a basket case, Iam about 32 years old

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
One of my biggest regrets in decades of owning and building cars is how few pictures I took over the years! I did find this old picture from around 1975 of my '71 Camaro. First is when I bought it in 1973, and 2nd was a couple years after I bought it.

Don't have a single picture of my '40 Chevy gasser, '55 Chevy gasser, or the two '57 Chevy gassers. One a 2dr sedan, and one a wagon.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wish I still had some, my bitch of a sister threw every thing out that was mine at my mom's house,,, just to be a bitch. All I have left is this...my 650 BSA rigged frame chopper that I built from a basket case, Iam about 32 years old

sorry bout that Lash, didn't mean to bring up a sore spot. Cool bike , I knew it was old school by the looks of it. Im not very old bike savvy.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my biggest regrets in decades of owning and building cars is how few pictures I took over the years! I did find this old picture from around 1975 of my '71 Camaro. First is when I bought it in 1973, and 2nd was a couple years after I bought it.

Don't have a single picture of my '40 Chevy gasser, '55 Chevy gasser, or the two '57 Chevy gassers. One a 2dr sedan, and one a wagon.
Nice transformation on the camaro Vall. you turned it into the baldwin motion look. Nice . Must have been a dream to drive that car so close to new condition.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know thursday has gone by but I wanted to post a little more of my 64 i found. 1976 new years eve hit from behind on the right quarter by a drunk driver. Happy anniversary to me.......:0

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Mario, the Olds crash brings back memories! The Camaro shown above I owned just over a month when I got hit in the left rear sitting in a traffic jam. Heard it coming, and nowhere to go. After the wreck I took the cash, and began the transformation shown above. Never planned to do more than tires and wheels, as the 427 would ignite the stock F-70-14 tires. But considering I needed to repair the left quarter, I figured I'd change the ugly color, and do a few engine upgrades too.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's great memories. Wow 427. Very cool. So I was right about the motion speed look alike.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Throw Back

No worries Mario I am still dealing with her to this day.....some bad things never go away........I find it strange that you have been rear ended more than once in a life time.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is strange. Once in my 64 hit by drunk driver. Second in the coupe hit by older driver who had alcohol on his breath. Third in my truck at a stop sign waiting on a tractor trailer to pass by. How's three times get ya. I think I'm done. :)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Wowww that is a lot....I have only had 2 accidents one on a motorcycle when a guy ran a stop sign...layed it down and broke my ankle, the second when I was unloading grocery's from my 66 Valiant and a drunken girl ripped the door out of my hand...caught her at her house were she had left her 6 month old baby alone to go drink at a bar.....hello 911... hope we are both done

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Some cars are magnets for bad luck! Bought a '67 Chevelle in 1971, and a month later it got rearended. Then a year later it got stolen, and when I got it back it was so trashed they almost totaled it. Then 6 months later the engine went on it. Put a new engine in it, and 3 days later a guy turned left in front of me and it got totaled. Should have sold it the first time it got hit!
And the car's karma continued after it was gone! I saved the engine that was in it, and built it to put in my '55 gasser. Right after that car was completed, it too got stolen, and never seen again!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Wow Vall I have heard of cursed cars but that one had every nut and bolt cursed on it....you must have pissed off a Gypsy queen....

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow has it been week already? Time really flies. This one is Me and my brother in law at the beverage place after a car wash. My 64 cutlass and his 70 cuda. The cuda was a 383 magnum 4spd car. It was really cool to be in that car. We never did race each other. I guess it was cause we were good friends before i married his sister....:)
Although the pic is not very good, it is the only pic I have of his car and he cherishes it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
While we are on my 64 at this point I found this first ever factory dual exhaust shot. I loved that look on cold mornings. The 64 exhaust wasn't available then but I used a 66 olds walker exhaust as a substitute.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well another thursday is here. found some more pics of my next car. This car was a weekly participant at National Speedway in New York. i bought the shell for 350 bucks with the tow tabs bolted to the front bumper. When it raced back in the early 70's it was run by Wyandanch auto parts machinist Anthony Cappola. He had a 350 cubic inch Chevy Sm blk and a tunnel ram backed by a Vitar Transmissions Hydra 4 spd automatic. Even with a 256 posi in the back he brought home quite a few trophies. The trans was in the back of the trunk when I towed it home. I new nothing about the trans but i ended up trading for a good turbo 400 to put behind a docile 307 small block. Yes a 307. What a mistake that was. but anyway live and learn. I rebuilt the 307 and found some 194 heads and got it running like new. The car ran like a dog with 2 broken legs cause that 307 just didn't make much power with that stroke combination and the cam I had. That 400 turbo used to kick into second at 5 grand and buck the car forward with a loud chirp. That cutlass was a good looking car and i loved it. When I bought the shell it had racing stickers all over the car which now I think was so cool. Back then I had a friend buff out the paint for me and all the sticker marks went away when the paint came back. i finally found a scoop to compliment the hood and had it painted by our body shop and bolted it on. Aqua turquoise is the body color and i loved waxing that car.
PS. I still have those license plates

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I ended up finding a junk yard with a 323 posi type "O" olds rear and swapped it out. found out through the parts dept at oldsmobile that the carrier would take a 488 gear if I later wanted to use that.
Car ran better but still a dog. Experimented with an Lt1 solid cam and mistakenly used hydraulic lifters with that and still a slouch. Of course the lifters were a big learning curve. Drove it like that using regular rockers and soon realized that the valve train was laboring. Talk about learning the hard way. i was used to oldsmobile and rocker stands with no adjust situation. I later put in a 327/350 horse hydraulic cam and it sounded really good but still ran like a dog. I also put in a dual point mallory distributor and coil. It really crisped the choppy idle when I did that. Later on I went to long slot rockers and by then the valve guides had taken a beating so I had to pull the heads again and have them done over. Car ran nice but still a slouch. Oh well. 307 memories.
If you look at the front bumper it was out of shape from the towing to the races on sunday.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts