Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stumbled across this looking for a steering box for my 53. A Suzuki Samurai steering box. Looks like everything is situated the way I need it, what do you think about the integrity of this thing?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Don't know much about them, but considering they came on an offroad vehicle they should be tough enough for a street vehicle. What's the shaft diameter? Is it a common size you can get a universal coupling for to connect to your steering?
Looks like it had a steering dampener on it once.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont know any specifics but was figuring on making it work somehow with couplings and a welder.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My INITIAL THOUGHTS are the Samurai is a very lightweight vehicle. Even though it is a 4 wheel drive its a very compact lightweight compact size. Everything about it from suspension to tire size would hardly give it the "tough 4 wheel drive/heavy duty status.

Also remember the Samurai's engine is very lightweight as well.

Then comes the other side of the coin..... a long time steering box option for street rodders has been from the Corvair.

Back to the other side of the coin ...... many street rods (if not most) do not have the horsepower that gasser-styled vehicles have ..... No bumper scrapping wheel stands to be concerned about.

The others thing to consider ..... how often is the box used by other hot rod builders & drag racers?

Last thought I have is how available are these boxes? The Samurai was not a big seller so finding one both new or used could be a problem down the road.

So after all of the above..... my feeling????? 50 - 50..... Dah..... I'm NOT sure !!!! ??? !!!

More than my 2 cents!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good points! I found one for 55 bucks shipped on Ebay, wondering if I should just say screw it and give it a shot. hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Might be more options if you go with a tried and true Vega box. Granted this doesn't come with an arm, but there are tons of different arms/lengths/drops out there for them. The most common box for cross steer straight axles. Plus it's easy to adapt to the column. Better to be safe.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/320828891209?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Good luck.
I AGREE..... call me conservative .... call me OLD (school) but I would go for the "tried & true".

I haven't heard ANY talk of this box being used by anyone or on any application.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My buddy is running some big tires and a big lift on his samurai. He has never mentioned any issues with steering or steering upgrades. You might check out some samurai boards. I do know people are doing engine swaps to much heavier engines. Do some research. You never know, it might be a new option for boxes. If not, then we will all know not to use them because they are too weak.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I looked yesterday on Google to see if anyone on the Samurai boards was mentioning changing steering boxes with all the engine swaps people do. Didn't see anything right off, but didn't want to register on the various forums to do a deeper search.
I can't imagine a Vega or Corvair having a stronger box than the Samurai, but I've never looked inside any of them. I do know my Corvair box is pretty compact, but I chose it because it had been used a lot by others, and it was cheaper than a Vega. I got mine used at the wrecking yard, with the column for $75.
I would have used the Mazda PU box I have, but it wasn't an option for my front steer setup. It mounts on the outside the frame, which I wanted to keep things clear inside, but just didn't work out.

Hey Splatt, if you're interested in the Mazda box I'll let you have it for the $35 I paid. It sits on the outside, but with the offset box it is easy to hit from any column that's inside using the usual joints.
Here's a picture when I was checking location on my frame:

It's a tall box so it can be positioned to allow the arm to line up with the spindle better and avoid bumpsteer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! I'll probably take you up on that, let me check the car and see if I can make it work. Im using the stock frame rails so i'm wondering if it's too wide to make this work. Thanks man!
And thanks everyone for your input, super helpful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts