Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Figured I would start a thread where we can post all the cool Gasser/Hotrod stuff we score on our project builds, or parts stashes, or just wall or yard art. I'll start with my weekend find, this little 67 Chevy II was heading to the crusher soon, if someone didn't rescue it, well I am glutton for punishment. This little dude will test my sheetmetal skills, I just couldn't stand to think of it being squished and sent to china. I am going to build a fire breathing, tire burnin, wheelie monster Gasser out of this little Chevy II: Stay Tuned for a future build thread:

Dont be shy, lets post the cool stuff we find in here, I love seeing what everyone digs up.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
THAT is an AWESOME save!!!! Three flippin' cheers to you, brother. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Love those shoebox deuces! Color me jealous.

I did score a '56 Pontiac Star Cheif that I will make into a gasser with the extra parts from a couple other projects. I have a straight axle from my '59 GMC pickup, a Pontiac engine and trans (350/4speed) from my '74 GTO, and a rear end from an '86 Monte Carlo SS. It's a real low optioned car so I won't do much to it. I can't believe I don't have a picture of it! I'll try to get one in the next few days.

I also just got a '66 Impala 283 4-speed that has a great body and a trashed interior. No door panels and the buckets are trash. Not sure what to do with that one. Jump in and restore it (door panels and headliner/carpet are almost $1,000! And that doesn't include seats! Swap meets here I come. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that 66 Impala is strait, Cool Ride and 4speed to boot! That 56 Pontiac is gonna be Cool too, seems like deals pop up everywhere around Christmas. Whats sad, is what some people will take to the crusher when scrap price is high and around the holidays, keep your eyes out everyone you can score some cool stuff from the scrap guys, I give them my phone number and tell them to call me when they get old stuff, i've gotten some pretty cool and rare stuff over the years.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Brian, that's a great save and a score all in one..... It's not a gasser but it was a bit of a score. One day one the way down the road I live on Kate and I were behind a Penn DOT truck and they stopped to do something and I looked over in this yard and there sat a VW Dasher with a for sale sign in the windshield. So we doubled back and here it was a diesel with 80K on it and it was being sold by this 86 year old women that she had bought it brand new. I asked her and her husband how much they were asking. They said 700 and so we bought it and brought it home. It needed a shifter bushing and a grommet for the throttle so I called a friend that is a VW nut and he said the car I just bought was worth around 4000 ! ! I said REALLY ? He said oh ya no kidding .. It dose however need exhaust, which I have yet to put on but I'm going to run it to a Midas and have them make one up and use it as a slider. It gets on average from 48 to 50 MPG so it will save even more miles on my Cummins.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve, that Dasher will save you so much in fuel it will pay for itself quick, those little diesel engines in those will just about run on anything that will burn.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Great finds guys! That Nova is killer, and even if it had all the floors rusted out it would never go to the scrapper around here! They're very desireable, even in a sedan. I personally would prefer a sedan over a hardtop. That will make a great gasser!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Vall,
The floors are gone, gonna need a lot of metal replaced, the guy I got it from got tired of people offering him a couple of hundred bucks for it, he was close to selling it to the crusher, caught him at the right time. I got a good deal on it, so I don't mind doing the metal work, pretty much everything I build needs metal work, only way I can afford to have them. Here in Florida the moisture gets them from the bottom up and any seams that collect moisture. I like the challenge of fixing them, and making something cool. I have a nice set of 15x8.5 American magnesiums that came out of a local junkyard that will look sweet on the Chevy II.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts