Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't got a shipment of car parts since last Spring. I bought a few parts from Laurel Mountain mustang and Speedway. I needed a new radiator to fit the 351C, rear bumper, front spolier, inner tie rod, T5 transmission cross member and some misc parts to get my 1969 Mach 1 running again. I'll get after it this weekend. I have an engine oil leak to hunt down which might be fun. I redid the gaskets last year but have yet to fire the engine.

20150420_183806.jpg
20150406_164212.jpg
20150406_164748.jpg

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've bought a lot of parts from them over the years. The front suspension for the Mustang was purchased from them back in 2004. Their prices seem to be better than most and I have been happy with the quality of parts.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Getting stuff delivered is a lot of fun. And its even more fun when you have a sweet mustang waiting for the install of those delivered parts. :cool:

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I've bought a lot of parts from them over the years. The front suspension for the Mustang was purchased from them back in 2004. Their prices seem to be better than most and I have been happy with the quality of parts.
I asked around and actually got several negative responses on Mustang or Ford forums concerning them. But their prices made me decide to give them a try. My results just showed that I don't trust everything I read on the internet, as I've been totally happy with them, and their service!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never had an issue with them. I had one return due to a defective part and they promptly fixed the problem. They just sent me a new part and said don't worry about sending the broken one back. Not everyone will be happy and the internet lets anyone gripe about it. I bought a few parts for a rifle build in March from a company that everyone said to avoid like the plague. Well, everyone in the threat that ordered from that company during their sale received their products. Of course that was only a few dozen people and a small sample size, but we were all happy customers.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I've never had an issue with them. I had one return due to a defective part and they promptly fixed the problem. They just sent me a new part and said don't worry about sending the broken one back. Not everyone will be happy and the internet lets anyone gripe about it. I bought a few parts for a rifle build in March from a company that everyone said to avoid like the plague. Well, everyone in the threat that ordered from that company during their sale received their products. Of course that was only a few dozen people and a small sample size, but we were all happy customers.
Wasn't Numrich Gun Parts was it? They've got a bad reputation, and have stung me twice before I stopped ordering parts from them!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I love waiting for a package to arrive. Even though you know what it is there's still the anticipation. The decades old welds on the home grown stick welded fenderwell headers on my 53 keep cracking ever since I put those collector baffle inserts, from Car Chemistry, in them so I decided to buy some new ones. When that big old box from Speedway arrived last week I was like a little kid. There is a lot of work to do though. There was no way I was going to pay the $600 plus for FE fenderwells from Mad Dog so I decided to improvise. The port spread between a BBC and an FE is very minimal. So I ordered a pair of FE flanges from Hells Gate Hot Rods, $45, a set of tri 5 BBC fenderwells from Speedway, $204 with free shipping, and purchased a 3' length of 2" OD exhaust tubing, to make the stubs, for $10; Hedman wants $227 plus shipping for flanges with stubs. Yesterday when I got home from work the flanges where there so I got to work making the round tubing fit the rectangular flange holes; the first one came out great. I found that a 3/4" drive 1 3/8" socket fits very nicely inside the 3" long stub to keep it perfectly round while I'm shaping the rectangular hole on the other end. Next comes cutting the round port flanges off the new headers, coaxing the tubes a little to the left or right and some spot welding. I have a friend who is a retired welder from General Dynamics, 40 years, and is an artist with a tig welder. I'm having him do all the welds for me. So, for $55 (did I mention that the headers were a birthday present from my girl friend) I'm going to have a bitchin pair of mandrel bent fenderwell headers; yah baby!!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I love waiting for a package to arrive. Even though you know what it is there's still the anticipation. The decades old welds on the home grown stick welded fenderwell headers on my 53 keep cracking ever since I put those collector baffle inserts, from Car Chemistry, in them so I decided to buy some new ones. When that big old box from Speedway arrived last week I was like a little kid. There is a lot of work to do though. There was no way I was going to pay the $600 plus for FE fenderwells from Mad Dog so I decided to improvise. The port spread between a BBC and an FE is very minimal. So I ordered a pair of FE flanges from Hells Gate Hot Rods, $45, a set of tri 5 BBC fenderwells from Speedway, $204 with free shipping, and purchased a 3' length of 2" OD exhaust tubing, to make the stubs, for $10; Hedman wants $227 plus shipping for flanges with stubs. Yesterday when I got home from work the flanges where there so I got to work making the round tubing fit the rectangular flange holes; the first one came out great. I found that a 3/4" drive 1 3/8" socket fits very nicely inside the 3" long stub to keep it perfectly round while I'm shaping the rectangular hole on the other end. Next comes cutting the round port flanges off the new headers, coaxing the tubes a little to the left or right and some spot welding. I have a friend who is a retired welder from General Dynamics, 40 years, and is an artist with a tig welder. I'm having him do all the welds for me. So, for $55 (did I mention that the headers were a birthday present from my girl friend) I'm going to have a bitchin pair of mandrel bent fenderwell headers; yah baby!!
That's a super idea, and really thinking outside the box! I've mentioned to several people building gassers with other than BBC engines, to consider using those headers. But most just think it's too much work, or not possible. Seems like the perfect solution to a big FE motor in a gasser!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Vall,
I decided to take photos to document the process so I could post them when all is said and done. Who knows, it might inspire someone else to try it. I'm not anticipating any major problems. As I mentioned I'm not having to move the tubes much, probably less than an inch. With the 3" stubs I'm using there should be plenty of material to work with for a good fit. I'm hoping to be able to move the tubes with large clamps, and then tack them in a few spots until my buddy can do the tig welding for me. I thought about using my Hobart Beta mig but when there's someone to tig it, it's a no brainer. I'm debating on whether or not to use a rosebud heating tip on the tubes to stress relieve them after the welding is done; what do you think.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Awesome idea on the headers!

It wasn't Numrich. I've never ordered from them because their website is so ridiculously difficult to navigate and find things on. The website I was dealing with was Blackthorne. So far it looks like they are doing OK. I had heard they were bought out but haven't verified. I spend some time over on Weapons Guild as there is a lot of out of the box firearms building. I have a few kits in my closet I want to build. It's not cheaper than cars, but it is easier to work on with fewer space requirements.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts