Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a stay in the hospital for health reasons, waiting for a stall converter and countless other issues, I finally was able to install my 498 stroker short block. My Christmas present to myself! That is my 18 year old son helping me in one of the pictures. Now on to the next hurdle. Finding the funds to buy a set of AFR aluminum heads. Slowly but surely it will come alive.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Man what a clean car. That looks like a nice motor. Progress is always progress. We are hitting the hot weather early this year so I have a feeling the down time will be longer this summer. Do you expect to be running for this season or are you out for this one? Mark L

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. probably will not run this season but you never know. I'm looking into 121cc chambers and 335 to 350 runners. I have to talk to my engine builder. He says he knows what I need. 12:1 is most likely what I'll end up with. Race fuel only. Oh well it cost money to have fun and when this thing gets fired up we will have some fun. Bob C.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That compression will lend itself to some fantastic Cackle!!! A good cam and it could really be a ear/eye catcher. Too bad you don't have readily available E85. Would not need the race fuel and you'd have a lot more--affordable--fun. Mark L

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That compression will lend itself to some fantastic Cackle!!! A good cam and it could really be a ear/eye catcher. Too bad you don't have readily available E85. Would not need the race fuel and you'd have a lot more--affordable--fun. Mark L
Thanks Mark, the motor already has a Lunati 722 lift solid roller cam in it. The engine builder said 760-840 HP depending on how much I want to spend on heads. E85 is available in New york which is only 1 hour away. A lot of guys are taking 55 gallon drums over the boarder, filling them and using it here. Might not be a bad idea for me either.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I myself would not chance it unless I knew there were stations in my area to go to. I know from others up by you that it's not really available in CT. We have several here in the Phoenix area and in the state so it's relatively easy to find one as long as you carry a station map. I'd hate to be limited by one tank full of E85. Unless it covers all you would need. Then that's a different story. When (or if ) I ever get mine on the road I want to be able to make some road trips. I have a 26 gallon aluminum fuel tank to use and that would get me pretty far but I still want to know I can get more if need be. Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Man what a clean car. That looks like a nice motor. Progress is always progress. We are hitting the hot weather early this year so I have a feeling the down time will be longer this summer. Do you expect to be running for this season or are you out for this one? Mark L
Lookin' GOOD!!!! Looking forward to posting pics of the engine change that hopefully will be happening to the Opel soon (and NOT LATER).

Mark.... It's a bummer that you AZ guys have Summer-Time-Down-time right when most of us are into the best time of our cruising season. Your Summer-Time shut down is like our Winter-Time hibernation in reverse.

I know that after a month or so of cruises, shows & swap meets as the comfortable Spring-Like weather turns to Hot & Humid Summer-Time weather we tire quickly of sitting on folding chairs on blacktop parking lots that feel like "frying pans".

When we built the workshop I treated myself by installing a large air conditioner & paddle fan in the workshop. I have learned it doesn't take much to get distracted by "anything" nor do I need ANY EXCUSES to put off things.

Call me "spoiled" if you want ..... but after all those years of NO garage or a small unequipped garage doing the best I can with "basic hand tools" ..... it is nice to FINALLY have a nice comfortable well equipped space to work in.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey BAD55, Looking good on the motor Also a sharp car. What straight axle have you got under there? Been thinking about making a street gasser out of my drag car but havent decided on type of axle yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey BAD55, Looking good on the motor Also a sharp car. What straight axle have you got under there? Been thinking about making a street gasser out of my drag car but havent decided on type of axle yet.
I think it's a great idea making a street gasser out of your drag car. No limit on horse power for the street as far as I'm concerned. No disrespect to others but I'm tired of building low compression engines to meet fuel octane. To me there is nothing like the sound of a big cubic inch, high compression big block chevy. I can't be positive what axle is in my car because it was in there when I bought it. As near as I can tell it is probably a Speedway piece. I like it so far but we'll see how it holds up when I get the front wheels off the ground!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts